The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions

This is a discussion on The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just read at Reuters that Walgreens, CVS, and Wegmans Food Markets are asking folks to not open carry in their stores. This is a link ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The List Grows: no open carry and more corporate reactions

Distinguished Member

Just read at Reuters that Walgreens, CVS, and Wegmans Food Markets are asking folks to not open carry in their stores.

This is a link to the article.

Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc WBA.N, CVS Health Corp (CVS.N) and supermarket chain Wegmans Food Markets Inc said on Thursday they would start asking customers to not openly carry firearms in their stores, joining Walmart Inc (WMT.N) and Kroger Co (KR.N), in a change of gun policy following several deadly mass shootings in the United States.

The retailers are among a growing number of U.S. companies, such as Delta Air Lines (DAL.N) and Bank of America (BAC.N), that are responding to calls for action to help curtail the rash of gun violence that has plagued the nation, risking backlash from powerful gun owners’ groups as politicians consider options.
    I am beginning to see some handwriting on the wall. It is not a statement to not carry gun in an establishment. It is just a request to conceal it. Since I only CC by IWB or OWB I am not going to get hassled at Walmart, Wegmans, or CVS where I do shop. No I am not going to stop shopping there. They are exercising a right and they are NOT demanding no guns. I can live with that. After all, I do not allow people to smoke in my house. That is self defense.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Just read at Reuters that Walgreens, CVS, and Wegmans Food Markets are asking folks to not open carry in their stores.

This is a link to the article.

I am beginning to see some handwriting on the wall. It is not a statement to not carry gun in an establishment. It is just a request to conceal it. Since I only CC by IWB or OWB I am not going to get hassled at Walmart, Wegmans, or CVS where I do shop. No I am not going to stop shopping there. They are exercising a right and they are NOT demanding no guns. I can live with that. After all, I do not allow people to smoke in my house. That is self defense.
    In the case of Wal Mart it isn't the request to not open carry. It is Wal Mart aligning itself with anti gunners specifically Bloomberg and Everytown for Gun Safety. Are you comfortable with portions of the money you spend at Wal Mart funding that?
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    In the case of Wal Mart it isn't the request to not open carry. It is Wal Mart aligning itself with anti gunners specifically Bloomberg and Everytown for Gun Safety. Are you comfortable with portions of the money you spend at Wal Mart funding that?
    That's the nettlesome part of the issue, Walmart's alignment.

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    I live about 15 miles from the nearest Walmart. It is located in a historically conservative central Indiana town on the far outskirts of Indianapolis. A popular community Facebook page intended to keep residents appraised of garage sales, in-town coyote sightings and other folksy news has a number of participants advocating that any town citizen who sees an openly carried firearm should immediately call 911. The people making such posts acknowledge that the police can not prevent the open carry but they feel that the constant harassment may further discourage it. Other people on the site advocate scolding or "shaming" the person openly displaying a weapon all the while capturing the exchange on a cell phone for posting to the Facebook page as a form of "outing".
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

MJK
    I OC all the time and will require them to make the request face-to-face. I am doing nothing illegal.

Same goes for MWAG calls. Our local PD will not hassle me and will turn on the caller who is falsely reporting a crime and thereby causing misappropriation of LE resources.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishsteel View Post
    I live about 15 miles from the nearest Walmart. It is located in a historically conservative central Indiana town on the far outskirts of Indianapolis. A popular community Facebook page intended to keep residents appraised of garage sales, in-town coyote sightings and other folksy news has a number of participants advocating that any town citizen who sees an openly carried firearm should immediately call 911. The people making such posts acknowledge that the police can not prevent the open carry but they feel that the constant harassment may further discourage it. Other people on the site advocate scolding or "shaming" the person openly displaying a weapon all the while capturing the exchange on a cell phone for posting to the Facebook page as a form of "outing".
    I believe the shaming of guns and those who carry guns began when the idea that concealed carry permits not only makes the public safer because only those special enough to qualify would be allowed to carry a gun concealed but also fed many gun carriers egos because only those who did qualify were now members of a special group that had the government's permission. And those who did not have the elite concealed carry permit were looked upon by the public, along with the gun community, as not good enough to carry a gun, even sketchy and should be feared.

And now that guns have become a dirty little secret that must be hidden the public has become empowered to expand their pressure to get rid of those scary guns from the legislature to private businesses. Getting businesses to ban open carry is just another step in banning guns entirely because you can bet that getting businesses to ban concealed carry is next on the list.
    M1911A1, frgood and duane_wade like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Are these just press releases? Or, are these companies posting?

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    In one of my gun or safety training seminars the trainer mentioned a study of convicts and the results were that some 40% (as I recall) intended crimes were halted by seeing the presence of someone open carrying. I wish I could find that study, but sadly, not on google (surprise, surprise).
    Bikenut, M1911A1, TimBob and 1 others like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quit going to CVS years ago when the quit carrying gun & hunting magazines & tobacco products. & I have a lot of prescriptions.
    msgt/ret and duane_wade like this.

Distinguished Member
    No, I am not. Fortunately I spend very little time or money at Walmart. Generally I buy my favorite black tea there because it is much less expensive than at Wegmans. Today I one to Wegmans and bought the tea rather than Walmart. I used to go to Walmart thinking, based on history, that I had to have gun ready to defend. Now, I no longer have t worry about that. However, in the end Walmart might lose $200 a year in purchases from me. They will not notice that I am gone, but gone I am.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

No, I am not. Fortunately I spend very little time or money at Walmart. Generally I buy my favorite black tea there because it is much less expensive than at Wegmans. Today I one to Wegmans and bought the tea rather than Walmart. I used to go to Walmart thinking, based on history, that I had to have gun ready to defend. Now, I no longer have t worry about that. However, in the end Walmart might lose $200 a year in purchases from me. They will not notice that I am gone, but gone I am.
    Wal Mart is losing $200+ per week in groceries, sundries, and ammo from me. Hopefully many more (I wish all) gun owners will not help fund Bloomberg and anti gun organizations by spending any money at Wal Mart.

I think it would be the pinnacle of irony for anti gunners to get money to fuel their anti gun efforts from gun owners buying ammunition for their guns.

Edited to add:
    And I hope gun owners will take the time to call Wal Mart and express their disappointment in Wal Mart aligning themselves with anti gunners.
    1-800-925-6278
    1942bull likes this.

And now that guns have become a dirty little secret that must be hidden the public has become empowered to expand their pressure to get rid of those scary guns from the legislature to private businesses. Getting businesses to ban open carry is just another step in banning guns entirely because you can bet that getting businesses to ban concealed carry is next on the list.
    I believe the reality is a bit more straightforward than that. Some people see guns and get scared or outraged. Some people carry guns specifically to provoke those reactions. Some people comment on social media about how this store bans guns so avoid it, or that store allows guns so avoid it. None of this is good for business, so the stores are saying "we're not banning guns but please don't open carry" because they don't want to be involved in the whole mess. As long as no one sees a gun, they could care less.
    msgt/ret, flintlock62 and rx7sig like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Walmart is already on the bubble. The past two months I’ve been in a couple different regular Walmarts my wife and I frequent for groceries and they want to look at everyone’s receipt. I flat out refuse them loudly, tell them I have a right to be secure in my person, papers and effects. Then I walk out. If they keep this up, the pox on their wretched Chicom store.
    PhaedrusIV and duane_wade like this.

All I hope is that the open carrier in one of these places does not refuse to leave or conceal their gun.

We had a guy go into a movie theater open carrying. Anti gun liberal complained to management Nd they ask the open carrier to conceal his gun or put it in his vehicle. The open carrier refused and said the theater was not posted, and TN permits him to open or conceal carry with his carry permit (which is true). Police had to be called and the open carrier was advised to leave or be arrested for trespassing. Non that theater is POSTED. THANKS BUDDY.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

The insanity is that the public is scared of the gun they can see, and oblivious about the gun they cannot see. Absolutely ignorant.
    Bikenut, TimBob, Wolf357 and 1 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links