Need computer help - Page 2

Need computer help

This is a discussion on Need computer help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last laptop I had issues with, I took it to the hills and shot it. The feeling of gratification was worth the 750 dollars. PS ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Need computer help

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Last laptop I had issues with, I took it to the hills and shot it. The feeling of gratification was worth the 750 dollars.

PS Jim Beam may have been involved.

Stay off Twitter and Facebook

A failing power supply can also mimic a lot of different problems. I too would recommend pulling the drive and trying it in another computer. If it's seen by the other system, you could then make backups to an online sever, a flash drive, or an external drive (recommended).

If you have a rescue disk or flash drive you might be able to get in to repair things in Safe Mode. There should be a rescue partition on your drive which could allow you to repair the system if the problem is corrupted operating system files. A third option would be to download a copy of Linux Mint and make a bootable flash drive using any other computer with internet access. You could then (maybe) boot into Mint and access the drive that way.

Wishing you success!
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Turn it on and off 3-4 times quickly while it's booting up, that will take you to the automatic repair screen and give you several options for solving the problem yourself if possible. I'd start there.

Not an expert but my desktop has a "Recovery Drive" feature.
    Every 14 days I plug in a flashdrive and backup the computer.
    Recovery drive is in Control Panel.
    " Keep Packin' On The Bimah"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 1821-H O-3

N.R.A. Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, the problem is with my Dell laptop I normally use. I have a version 1.0 hand me down IPad I use when traveling, but it's a clunker.
    Well, if you had backed it up then this wouldn’t be happening. Did you back it up? Did you?
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Sent you a PM @OldVet .
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

If the files are most important to you, then you should not do anything to try and fix the problem yet. The first priority would be to recover the files. Here are a couple options (assumes that the drive is still operational and not corrupt):

1. Take the laptop to a PC repair place and have them pull the drive. They can hook it up to a working computer to back up any important files.
    2. Buy/borrow a device to hook up a laptop hard drive to a PC using a USB cable ($30-$50). Then pull the drive yourself and hook it up to a working computer with the cable and find/backup the files. This will be cheaper and require a little more mental energy on your part. Of course, if you know anyone with the requisite skills you can ask for their help.

Once your files have been recovered, you can then decide whether the time/expense of trying to repair the laptop is worthwhile vs. getting a new one. But, any actions to repair the laptop first have the potential to cause harm to your files.

Also, once you have things working again, I would suggest using dropbox or Google drive (or something similar) to ensure you never lose important files. With these services, you can choose specific folders/files on your PC(s) which are automatically synced with those services. They can also keep a history of files. So, even if the files were corrupted on your PC, you get get a previous version. It's also handy if you have multiple PCs so you don't have to copy files back and forth.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Well, if you had backed it up then this wouldn’t be happening. Did you back it up? Did you?
    Yes, but it required a password. Do you know it, because I don't. I am on the verge of going password free and live dangerously.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I surrendered to my computer ineptitude and dropped it off at at repair guy.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Sounds as if it may be time for @OldVet to get a password manager. No more forgotten passwords...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I surrendered to my computer ineptitude and dropped it off at at repair guy.
    🤞🤞🤞
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    Sounds as if it may be time for @OldVet to get a password manager. No more forgotten passwords...
    I have one. It's called a 8x11 piece of paper. Hard part is keeping it updated.
    scottync likes this.

Repairman called and said the boot-up sector of the hard drive is corrupted and doesn't think any fix will last. He's offering an HP laptop and files xfer for about $600. Gotta think about that.

Blame it on Hurricane Dorian and see if your homeowners insurance will cover it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links