Need computer help

Need computer help

This is a discussion on Need computer help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Rats, laptop took a dump. It won't come up when turned on. It said once a file was missing, but now I just get a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Need computer help

Angry Need computer help

Rats, laptop took a dump. It won't come up when turned on. It said once a file was missing, but now I just get a darkened screen and that little blue wheel of waiting. Recycled, pulled the battery, etc., but no luck.

Any suggestions? I'm really mad because I've lost all my writings and load data for the Mongoose. Hopefully that can be recovered.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Rats, laptop took a dump. It won't come up when turned on. It said once a file was missing, but now I just get a darkened screen and that little blue wheel of waiting. Recycled, pulled the battery, etc., but no luck.

Any suggestions? I'm really mad because I've lost all my writings and load data for the Mongoose. Hopefully that can be recovered.
    What? No backups? It sounds like your hard drive may have cratered but really impossible to say from thousands of miles away. May be time to find a competent PC repair place.

Always make backups of files which you place value such as pix, important data, etc. Multiple backup copies recommended and keep a recent set off-site or at least in a fireproof and flood proof container.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    What? No backups? It sounds like your hard drive may have cratered but really impossible to say from thousands of miles away. May be time to find a competent PC repair place.
    Thats what I expect. I've been having intermittent video issues but this is just blank and. No response. Using. This IPad sucks.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Agree with caveman bob, get to a reputable pc repair place. I lost use of my laptop visiting Durango a couple of years ago. Took it to a shop and they got it going no problem, after paying them big bucks for motherboard or some such. But didnít lose data which was very cool.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Thats what I expect. I've been having intermittent video issues but this is just blank and. No response. Using. This IPad sucks.
    Most PC shops can try to recover data from your hard disk, the data on the drive may even be completely intact, perhaps the motherboard cratered. ???
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Gremlins from the Kremlin.

(If you get the reference without looking it up, Iíll send you a Christmas card)
    Havok and Sister like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Gremlins from the Kremlin.

(If you get the reference without looking it up, Iíll send you a Christmas card)
    Putin says send it.
    Havok and Sister like this.

If its just a corrupted boot file then after a couple failed boots it should prompt you with a number of options, one of which is be able to restore to the last known good configuration. Some laptops have their own buttons to access this. No saved data would be lost in this event.
    If that doesn't work, don't fret. So long as its not a hard drive failure, all your data should be intact. Bring it to a dedicated PC repair shop.

Is it in fact an iPad? If so, take it to an Apple store with a genius bar.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Putin says send it.
    Ok

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKsNenRxFsM
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Unless the disk gets physically destroyed, most everything can be recovered. It takes skill and specialized software to do that. Try to find a highly recommended PC repair shop.

There are some components associated with the battery and it's charging circuit that are prone to failure, but taking a laptop apart is not for the faint of heart.

Laptops are generally junk. I recommend these to lots of folks. They are refurbished by HP and Microsoft certified shops and it generally looks like it has never been out of the box. These are systems that are leased to doctors and other folks who update with new hardware every year or so. I have found that one of these will outlive the average laptop by about four or five lifespans, and will cost you a lot less. In addition it is child's play to add components, fix anything that breaks (just pull the handle and it's open) and they are fast enough for most things unless you're a power user. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You get a keyboard and mouse with it, so all you need is a monitor. Good luck brother.
    rotorhead1026 and Hoganbeg like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Could be several issues and not necessarily the hard drive, like the RAM could be bad. Unless you have a good friend that is a pc guy, you might have to shell out some $$$ to a repair place. If you wanted to see if you could retrieve data from the drive, you could try taking the HHD out of the laptop and hooking it up to a tower pc, have done that many times. If it's a newer laptop and a newer pc, it all should have SATA ports and easily hooked up. In fact, I have a 1TB laptop HDD in my tower right now, lol. You could go buy some more memory and swap it out and see what happens. Memory is cheap, easy to replace and causes a lots of different problems when going bad. With the laptop booting up and getting the spinning circle of death, this doesn't seem like a HDD issue, more like failure to write data to RAM on startup.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    Is it in fact an iPad? If so, take it to an Apple store with a genius bar.
    No, the problem is with my Dell laptop I normally use. I have a version 1.0 hand me down IPad I use when traveling, but it's a clunker.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.

If you hit it with a hammer the little blue wheel will go away. The computer still probably wonít work, but at least it will narrow down your problem.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar

Sounds like you're using Windows. I don't think M$ provides a live DVD that would make it easy to backup your files to another computer but there are several linux distros that provide a live DVD. If you use one and can get your PC to boot with a live DVD you should be able to use a FTP or SFTP client send files or entire directories to an FTP/SFTP server or cloud server or if you can attach an external HD of adequate capacity it would be a simple copy of files to the external drive. After a successful backup you could try a fresh install of Windows onto your PC internal HD and if that gets Windows to boot you can restore your files. It's an advanced way to get your files back so you might want to consider taking it to a computer repair service if you're not up to the task.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links