Needed: Advice on Safe Car Selling in a big city - Page 2

Needed: Advice on Safe Car Selling in a big city

This is a discussion on Needed: Advice on Safe Car Selling in a big city within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I love haggling for cars! both as a buyer and seller. I wouldn't miss it! DR...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Needed: Advice on Safe Car Selling in a big city

I love haggling for cars! both as a buyer and seller. I wouldn't miss it! DR
    Sister likes this.

Cash in the police station parking lot.
    Bring a friend, both be armed.
    You'll be fine
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    @Sister ,It does not have to be dangerous. I met the buyer at a local business that handles such transfer titles. AAA does it. H had a certified check for the full amount,
    My son sold a nice laptop and received a "certified" check. It was a check he printed himself on his computer. My son was out the computer and the money.
    Sister and DZUS like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I know this may/may not help, but there is a car dealership here in Memphis that runs ads on the TV. They say if you will bring in a Car Max printout of what Car Max will pay for the car, they will beat it by $500. Dealerships need clean used cars.
    Sister likes this.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    My son sold a nice laptop and received a "certified" check. It was a check he printed himself on his computer. My son was out the computer and the money.

Iím so sorry that happened to your son that just ainít right!

The mean person will get a pay-back, Karma will get them
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    This is one of my concerns about selling a car to a private party, these days. The bad guys are experts at check fraud.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm in the car business... every dealer I know, including us, is looking for used inventory all day every day. I'd roll it by a few dealers and see what they'll bid for it, typically a dealership of the same brand will pay a bit more. Car Max is also a good choice. You can certainly get a little more for it selling to an individual but then you have the hassles that can come with that... what if something breaks and so on...

If by mini you a mini cooper, those cars are pretty unique and have a following all their own. That will typically make them a little better prospect for a private sale. If you go that route meet some place very public and make sure you get paid in certified funds.

Between what you and @airslot said (the link) it looks like we can do a whole lot better at a dealership or the Carcavana. Car max was waaaay to low! Yes there are a lot of mini folks, had no idea! Cute car and great on gas just not comfortable. We both still want a truck, maybe wait till in a few years to save up and pay cash or CWO may revamp an older Chevy truck. Right now we just donít need but one family vehicle.
    airslot and 5lima30ret like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Iím so sorry that happened to your son that just ainít right!

The mean person will get a pay-back, Karma will get them
    Now there are programs that can track a laptop. My son's doing ok now. Wife, 5 kids, and paid cash for a new house. When he finishes the remodel on the old house, he'll have quite a nice little chunk of change to invest.
    Sister likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Moderator
    Dealers, dealers, dealers.

Be honest. Tell them they are bidding, they get one chance against two other dealers, all on the same footing. Tell them the Carmax bid and they need to exceed that to win.
    Sister and Marc_Brooks like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

In my experience CarMax isnít a good place to sell to. CarMax plus 500 isnít very good either.

Is there AutoTrader in Houston? Iíve had good luck selling there.

The PD parking lot sale is a good idea. From there, drive the buyer to the bank (who verifies the check and notarizes the title), drive back to the PD. Done.
    Sister likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Additionally, CarMax IS a pretty good place to buy. There are no bargains, but the inventory looks pretty solid.
    Sister likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

I've bought a couple cars privately. Both times we met at my bank, had the bank manager sit down with us as we signed the paperwork, and send the wire transfer.
    Leaves no chance for fraud.

I sold my low miles 2003 Cobra sight unseen to a gentleman in New Hampshire and I'm in Virginia. I too was nervous about the financial part so I used an escrow service. There are many out there but I used a very well regarded one. Sorry forgot the name. Super easy to use and you and the seller can decide on all the terms of the sale. Their fee is a percentage of the sale. For my $26K car it was just over $200 which was well worth it to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links