Why Hornady Stopped Selling Ammunition to Walmart 12 Years Ago

This is a discussion on Why Hornady Stopped Selling Ammunition to Walmart 12 Years Ago within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Maybe some of you here already knew this, but this is the first time I have heard about this. Hornady was smart for cutting off ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 3 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 1 Post By StripesDude
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By G26Raven

Thread: Why Hornady Stopped Selling Ammunition to Walmart 12 Years Ago

Maybe some of you here already knew this, but this is the first time I have heard about this. Hornady was smart for cutting off a predatory customer. The article quoted below is from Recoil magazine.

(My wife and I went through a similar situation with Amazon when we ran our small publishing business in the diving industry. I talked it over with a friend who had run his own business for many years and his advice was the same, i.e., cut them off. I've subsequently talked to many people who have stopped doing business with Amazon for similar reasons. Amazon is great if you are a consumer, but lousy if you are a small vendor.)

RECOIL: Why did Hornady decide to stop selling to Walmart back in 2007?
    Jason Hornady: In my previous life, I worked for a company that lived and died by Walmart. And like many companies, Walmart treated them poorly. And, as we were going through these things with Walmart, I decided that if I was ever in a situation where I didnít have to do business with them, I would not. And when I got to Hornady, we were doing some business with them, it wasnít a lot, but they started to become difficult to work with again. I was in a situation where I made the decision for our company to walk away and everybody in the company supported my decision. And we have not looked back.

https://www.recoilweb.com/why-hornad...LywEkXFdPQ0Et0
    ETXhiker likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

I like his attitude.
    Think it is time to give Hornady more of my business.
    And why not, they have a good product.
    G26Raven, PhaedrusIV and Mattmann like this.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Walmart is notorious for being difficult to negotiate with, and in some cases, will walk on contracts. As a supplier, what are you going to do? Sue Walmart? In Arkansas?

If you can survive as a business not dealing with Walmart, then more power to you.

My dad spent 45 years in the auto business. The Big 3 are the same way. They will even take your design and shop it. Try suing Ford for copyright infringement. Youíll be blackballed by the whole industry.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    I'll have to double check but I'm sure that I saw boxes of Hornady XTP at my local WalMart just a few days ago.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Distinguished Member
    Total agreement on my part with the avoidance of predatory Octobers. When I was operating my commercial photography business other pros wondered why I dis not pursue the business of large corporations where the big bucks were. I explained that I wanted to have working relationship with my customer, and it was impossible to do that with a giant business because they have predatory purchasing methods. They do not care if I can stay in business. If I go away another will fulfill their needs. That made negotiating with them impossible. Take it or leave it! That was what I heard over and over again. I left it. Instead I pursued small to medium size companies who were happy to have a reliable supplier at a fair price. It worked for me.
    G26Raven likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I'll have to double check but I'm sure that I saw boxes of Hornady XTP at my local WalMart just a few days ago.
    If you read the article, their products are sometimes sold by distributors to individual Walmarts. Hornady is not even aware when this happens. The point is, they do not sell to Walmart directly.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Sponsored Links