Canadian man tries to reason with a bear to spare his life. - Page 2

Canadian man tries to reason with a bear to spare his life.

This is a discussion on Canadian man tries to reason with a bear to spare his life. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This douche is lucky it wasnít a grizzly - there are a few (especially along the coast) in BC, Iím told. Black bear are relatively ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Canadian man tries to reason with a bear to spare his life.

This douche is lucky it wasnít a grizzly - there are a few (especially along the coast) in BC, Iím told.

Black bear are relatively docile in grizzly country; I donít know what set this one off. Theyíre a little more aggressive when theyíre the top predator, but still not terribly dangerous if youíre alert and careful with your food. The victim here doesnít strike me as either.

If a bear thinks you have food, and heís stoking up to hibernate, he can get really nasty.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Couldn't get the video to work but how did the local man distract the bear, a bag of doritos, a picnic basket, what?
    M1911A1 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    This douche is lucky it wasnít a grizzly - there are a few (especially along the coast) in BC, Iím told.

Black bear are relatively docile in grizzly country; I donít know what set this one off. Theyíre a little more aggressive when theyíre the top predator, but still not terribly dangerous if youíre alert and careful with your food. The victim here doesnít strike me as either.

If a bear thinks you have food, and heís stoking up to hibernate, he can get really nasty.
    If you are being harassed by a black bear then it has already smelled your food, or it's a mama with cubs.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Always hike with someone who is slower than yourself, that will be between you and the bear at all times.

You donít have to be the fastest in the group, just never be the slowest.
    montejames, jrwhitt and M1911A1 like this.
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Always hike with someone who is slower than yourself, that will be between you and the bear at all times.

You donít have to be the fastest in the group, just never be the slowest.
    That's what the little .22 NAA is for - slow down one of the group with a quick round to the kneecap

(Really - just in case I **AM** joking)
    M1911A1 likes this.

If youíre running from a bear, and donít know if itís a black or a grizzly, hereís how to find out.

Run to a tree and climb up.

If the bear climbs the tree, knocks you to the ground, and mauls you, itís a black.

If the bear rips the tree out of the ground, shakes you out of it, and beats you over your head with it, itís a grizzly.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

I was just walking along, minding my own business, when this bear attacked me for no reason...

I smell road apples here. He pestered the bear somehow. Based on the looks of him he probably hollered "Shoo". Or like was mentioned up above Cubs to protect, or more likely in September in Canada, it was hungry, and the.part left out was he was stuffing his face while walking, and got a lot closer before seeing the bear than the story suggests.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    So they kill bears to examine them to find out why they attack humans. Maybe they just don't like having people in their habitat. Maybe the bear was having a bad day and then some idiot came a long.

VIP Member
    I want to know if that bear was "registered" and "licensed to forage".
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I've encountered blackies at least half a dozen times over the years. Fortunately for me, they've all been like Yogi and Boo-boo.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    It said he ran in the water, maybe he should have climbed a tree instead!!!

Bwaaa ha ha haaaa, what a dweeb!
    Did you see the picture of that boy? He ain't climbing nothing.

The injuries look like the bear just slapped him on the back in a gesture of, "It's cool bro, I was just playing with ya".
    ETXhiker likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Did you see the picture of that boy? .
    He was waddling down the trail, a Big Mac in each hand, and four more in a bag, when he came across the "bear" (I still think it was squirrel). His refusal to drop even one of the Big Macs lead to the attack
    MMinSC and rotorhead1026 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links