So where were you 18 years ago this morning? - Page 2

So where were you 18 years ago this morning?

This is a discussion on So where were you 18 years ago this morning? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife and I had flown to Reno, Nevada to attend a friend's wedding in Virginia City, Nevada and then driven to Napa, California with ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: So where were you 18 years ago this morning?

My wife and I had flown to Reno, Nevada to attend a friend's wedding in Virginia City, Nevada and then driven to Napa, California with some other friends to tour the wine country. We were in a bed & breakfast in Napa, California and scheduled to fly from Oakland, California to Fort Lauderdale, Florida that morning. My wife got up and got in the shower. I turned the television on to see a plane flying into the towers. When we got back to Florida, we discovered our neighbor's nephew was one of the people who rushed the cockpit on Flight 93.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Getting ready for work. Turned on the TV to ck the weather only to see the first tower burning. Watched the second plane hit and realized things were going to get hot.
    SatCong likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Ok those of you with computer skills I think we need to hear a few songs.
    Darryl Worley- Have you Forgotten
    Toby Keith- Courtesy of the Red White and Blue. ( The Angry American)
    Lee Greenwood- God Bless the USA.
    Those songs bring a tear to my eye and get my dander up.
    TSKnight and Cornhusker95 like this.

Cornhusker95 likes this.

Cornhusker95 and SatCong like this.

I have a bit of a long tale to tell. I was at the Marriott Courtyard in Rock Island, IL. I was getting ready to make my first visit to Rock Island Arsenal as part of a huge consulting project for the Army that I had already been on for over a year. I was out in the parking lot in my Avis rental car, waiting for the guy I was traveling with. He was late, so I called him on my cell phone. He said, "Have you seen TV this morning?" and I said no. He said, "You better come into the lobby." The TV was on and the second plane had just hit. We just stood there, stunned. We were both ex-military officers, so we had some perspective on it.

We decided to go into the base anyway, because that's what we were assigned to do. The line to get into the base was blocks long, because they were searching every car and double-checking every ID. We saw an incident I will never forget. An older gal got out of her car in front of us in a golf outfit. She marched up to the security booth and got in the face of the base police chief. She lit into him that she had a tee time with her friends at the base golf course, he was making her late and her husband was a Colonel and she was going to have his badge, etc. the fact that some buildings had been attacked in NYC was not her problem. The chief handled it diplomatically, but she still had to wait in line.

Once we were on the base for about an hour, we were told non-essential personnel had to leave and that we would not be allowed back the rest of the week, so we should go home. But the flights were grounded and the local Avis franchise told renters that if they took their cars out of area, they would fine us $2,000. My companion, who was an independent consultant, actually bought a used car, drove it back home to NJ and sold it for more than he paid for it! I worked for a consulting firm and I was told to stay in Rock Island until things got worked out. Finally, the president of Avis mandated that all offices allow renters to take their cars wherever they wanted. Three days after 9/11, Friday, I drove back to St. Louis, returned the car at the airport Avis and my wife picked me up.

Then on Sunday, 9/16, I got the call that my only sister, who was two years younger, died unexpected of a blood clot in her lung. It was a heck of a week...
    matthew03, airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I had just gotten to work after the first plane hit. We were listing to the radio in shock. I left work early and headed over to my parents house to spend the day with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyR View Post
    Thank you my brother, you just made my morning.

I was driving into work listening to Kirby Wilbur on AM570 KVI. When he said that a plane had hit the WTC, I figured it was a Cessna 172 type as that has happened before.

Then he came in later and said that a second plane hit the other tower, I knew the world would never be the same again......

Today I continue the tradition of loading heavy on 9/11. I have two extra loaded mags for my M17, and an extra box of 9BPLE in my backpack.

Never Forget.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.

As a nation, we have forgotten who the enemy is. But they have learned that they make more progress NOT by attacking us, but getting their operatives elected to congress.

So where were you 18 years ago this morning?-forgotten.jpg

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Security at a County hospital / level 1 trauma center.
    No helipad duty for a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In a GE Wind Energy production shop, someone yelled at me to come listen to the radio, all work stopped.
    airslot likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I knew exactly where i was in town, in my truck, when I heard the first mention of it on our local sports radio show. They reported it as a small plane at first. On the way to work, they reported another plane hitting and pretty much concluded there was something really wrong. By the time I got to the office it was pretty much known what was happening.

I worked in a govt building in Florida at the time. By mid morning, some of the employees in my building took the opportunity to leave work and go home (or just leave work). Like they thought our building was a potential target. I thought that was over the top.

Just rolled into work, heard strange reports of a plane crash. Got inside to see the coverage...

We don’t forget, but too many do.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Sitting at my computer at the office...watched it online. Had employees calling in to see if I was aware of what was going on.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links