So where were you 18 years ago this morning? - Page 3

So where were you 18 years ago this morning?

This is a discussion on So where were you 18 years ago this morning? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As tough as it was on me, it was harder on my wife. She was out shopping at Potomac Mills Mall with two of our ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: So where were you 18 years ago this morning?

As tough as it was on me, it was harder on my wife.

She was out shopping at Potomac Mills Mall with two of our kids (6 & 3), and was pregnant with our third. As usual her cell phone was dead, so when I called immediately after the events hit to let her know I was okay, all I could do was leave a voicemail. Then the phone lines and cell towers were overwhelmed and calls couldn't get through.

While she walked through the mall it got quiet, and weird. People clustered around a few TVs. She went to see what was going on, and while watching news footage of the North Tower collapsing a banner rolled across the screen saying the Pentagon collapsed. She immediately thought she was now a single mom, desperately trying to hold it together while holding the hands of our kids. She and the kids didn't know I was alive until after sunset, when she was called by family on the west coast (who I did manage to get through to before the phone lines were saturated). I walked in near midnight, covered in sweat, ash and smelling of smoke. Naturally she was angry I didn't call, but then I told her to check her voicemail.

I showered, napped, put on a clean uniform, and left around 2 am to get back to work; by 6 am she was at the local emergency room with contractions and pregnancy complications. Being only in the first trimester it was scary and we thought we might lose our unborn kid. Fortunately things worked out and a healthy daughter hatched in March.
    OD*, airslot, ETXhiker and 8 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

It was one of those crystal clear beautiful Colorado September mornings and I was not working that day. I was parked in my recliner sipping coffee. TV was on but I wasn't paying much attention. When the first plane hit it appeared unreal, almost like something in an animation. The tones coming from the news people on TV made it apparent that wasn't the case and then the second plane hit and the horrible reality of it set in.

It's hard to believe that less than twenty years later we are electing anti Americans and terrorist cheerleaders to Congress.
    OD*, ETXhiker, airslot and 2 others like this.

Alan Jackson....

airslot likes this.

I had skipped PT and came straight to my motorpool office in uniform. I was was set to command my unit's 100 man NTC detachment, due to deploy to Ft. Irwin in on the 13th. I was working at my desk when my E7 came running up the stairs- "Sir! Sir! Turn on the radio!" I personally watched the Army's "Peace" to "War" switch get flipped over the next four hours or so. We estimated 50,000 KIA, figuring few had been able to escape effectively. Our previous Battalion Commander was in her office on the other side of the Pentagon, and the former Commander of our Personnel Services Battalion, had moved up to PERSCOM HQ. He had a private phone call and shut his heavy wooden office door, preventing the fireball that went down the hallway from directly entering his office. He suffered burns to the hands and face, but survived, unfortunately unlike his MG boss. Two things I remember most was how crisp the salutes were that afternoon- the [stuff] was real now, and the planeless sky that afternoon and evening. I did deploy on the 14th, our charter being one of the few planes in the sky.
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; September 11th, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
    OD* and airslot like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

I was in the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee and somewhat listening to the “Today Show” while getting ready for class. I forget what Katie and Matt were yammering about but someone handed one of them a note and they made a comment about a plane hitting one of the towers. A few minutes later they cut to a feed aimed at the towers just in time to see the second plane hit. I was listening to reports on the radio on the way to school and when I arrived all the TVs in the hallways were tuned to the news. All my classes were rather somber as all of us were in shock.
    OD*, scottync, airslot and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

On the commuter bus going downtown for work when my wife called my cell to say that a missile hit the 1st tower. Then while we are on the phone, she tells me that she saw a plane hit the 2nd tower. She ran to get the kids out of school. We closed our office because it was adjacent to the tallest building in downtown Houston. We were glued to the TV for the next 3 days.
    Sister likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I was at the front counter at a car repair shop watching it on TV we had in customers lounge.
    Everyone was quiet and polite which is unusual in our shop. People understood that there was more important things going on other than their car repairs.
    That is until this jackass called demanding to know what was going on with his car.
    I asked him if he was watching the news, did he know what was happening?
    He said yea, but he didn't care he need his car looked at now.
    I told him that there was more important things going on and we are at war. Told him he could come and get his car because I didn't think we would be getting to it.
    He got mad and called my district manager to complain about me. Manager told him where he could go then called me and told me not to worry about it. Said he understood if we did not get any repairs done that day
    msgt/ret, wmhawth, Sister and 1 others like this.

Something weird/crazy happened that morning when I went to work. Was working at the mall in our family retail store, took a mini TV with me to work to keep up with what all was going on. A middle eastern fellow that worked at the jewelry kiosk in front of our store came in and started watching it with me. Like everyone else I was in shock, however....this young man started smiling very big! He left abruptly when he saw my look, I was literally speechless. He was happy I kid you not!!! 😯
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

I had the day off, was installing a fence out back. Had my two boys, both toddlers, playing around me while I worked. My wife came home for lunch and told me what was happening. Very hard to do much fence work or anything else after that.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.

I was working at the Sikorsky facility in Jupiter, FL. Everything stopped as everyone gathered around the break room TV to follow the news. What it made me feel, and think, I hope I never do again.
    Sister, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Like @graydude and @WebleyHunter I was in the Pentagon, 5th floor, D ring, a few floors up from where the plane stopped. Opening the door to our fire escape route, we were met with smoke and the smell of jet fuel. It was a long walk to where I could get transport back home, and hours before I could let Mrs Bentlink know I was safe. I was back at an alternate location next day.
    Still Clingin'

I was attending a meeting in midtown Manhattan at 44th and 5th Avenue. Just before going into the meeting, I saw a TV news report that a plane had crashed into the WTC. However, I only glanced at the screen and it was difficult to get any perspective regarding the size of plane. While I informed everyone, we went ahead with the meeting. A short time later, someone arrived at the meeting late and said that he had just seen the second plane fly into the 2nd tower. At that time, we realized that the US was under attack. Finally, someone received a call on his cell phone and announced that the first tower had collapsed and that the Pentagon had also been hit. We suspended the meeting and tried to contact our families to let them know we were okay. By then, it was difficult to get a call out. We all went back to our rooms and watched TV -- it was truly horrible to realize that so many people were dead and dying just 3-4 miles away. I went outside once to see which way the wind was blowing -- I was concerned that there might be a chemical element to the attack. (In hindsight, that wasn't very smart.) I ended up catching a train from Penn Station the next afternoon to return to my home in Virginia. I was quite worried about a follow-on attack at Penn Station, but there didn't seem to be any other way to get out. On the train out of NYC, there was still a lot of smoke rising from ground zero. It was a sobering sight that I will never forget.

VIP Member
    I was in the St Louis airport, waiting for my flight to Toronto to board. My wife called right after the first plane hit the tower and told me she would leave me if I got on a plane that day. My secretary called a few minutes later, telling me she was sending a car to bring me back to the office because my presence was "required." By the time I got back to the compound, the gate guards were searching every vehicle, coming in or going out.

Our paranoid CEO thought we might be a target because of our proximity to the airport and the nuclear material we had on site.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

9/11 made me really regret retiring from the AF. To this day it still bugs me to my soul. Even today, send me to the sandbox, give me a 4-wheeler, and I will get the parts to the plane on time every time.
    Last edited by OldVet; September 11th, 2019 at 11:25 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I still have this special edition newspaper I picked up as I left work.
    Let us never forget...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So where were you 18 years ago this morning?-911a-1-.jpg  

So where were you 18 years ago this morning?-911b.jpg  

msgt/ret likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links