This is Disturbing

This is Disturbing

This is a discussion on This is Disturbing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know we've had numerous discussions about the surveillance state, this one jumped out at me. I'm glad I don't use Windows. If you had ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: This is Disturbing

This is Disturbing

I know we've had numerous discussions about the surveillance state, this one jumped out at me. I'm glad I don't use Windows.

If you had the patience to first read though the 12,000-word service agreement, you will find that the Privacy Statement clearly says, Ďwe will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary,í
    https://www.americanthinker.com/arti..._opted_in.html

So Bill's minions will access and allow government to access your private files. I wonder if Steve's minions are doing the same thing.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

They'll quickly get bored with my data.
    Sister likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They'll quickly get bored with my data.
    Not the point. But you know that.
    OldChap likes this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Not the point. But you know that.
    I never assumed any operating system, browser, or any other agreement doesn't do the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

@CWOUSCG : Unfortunately, thread titles like "This is disturbing" are getting pretty complacence lately. I think we are all going to have to get more creative!
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    You just can't trust anyone or expect privacy. Too many nosey people around. The internet just makes it easier for people to mess with you.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I know we've had numerous discussions about the surveillance state, this one jumped out at me. I'm glad I don't use Windows.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti..._opted_in.html

So Bill's minions will access and allow government to access your private files. I wonder if Steve's minions are doing the same thing.
    The worse news is that it really doesn't matter whose operating system or what make computer you own. They are all fair game, unless you take positive steps to insure you're not visited surreptitiously.

Don't write anything you wouldn't want your worst enemy to know or read on a computer - ever.
    Don't leave a computer of any kind on when it is unattended.
    Black tape over the web cam lens stops a great many fishing expeditions.
    Better yet, buy a monitor and chunk the webcam in the trash.
    Always use very complex passwords and change them often. A super computer needs many thousands of years to break a proper password (16 mixed characters that are NOT your given name and birthday).
    Store anything you don't want a stranger to read on a removable USB zip drive.
    Turn off the automatic document crash store feature on word processors or any program used to create something you want private. Only allow storage on removable drives.
    Learn what a Faraday Cage is and how to build one. Use it to store tablets or even a laptop or desktop when you're not at the keyboard.
    If you get really paranoid and don't want people spying on you via your cellphone, turn it off and take the battery out. Buy a "burner" phone. Look up what that is.

I could go on and on, even to some really effective ways to secure your electronic devices, but I think you get the idea. Security is not easy to achieve.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I never assume that my privacy is being respected by anyone. Even the old school land line was being listened on by the operator I know this is true cause I seen the tv episodes where they do.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

The Amish are on to something...

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Some additions to @OldChap 's fine list:

Use Signal:
    https://signal.org/#page-top

Use The Onion Router, Tor:
    https://www.torproject.org/

An old microwave oven works as a Faraday cage, turn off your phones and put them in the microwave when you're having conversations.

Don't use Windows.

Don't use Chrome, use Firefox with the Tor plugin

Don't use Google search, try DuckDuckGo: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=

Use a password manager
    https://ssd.eff.org/module-categories/basics

Encrypt your drives.

Don't depend upon the DNS settings which are set in your router by your ISP. Personally, I manually set my computers to use 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare). There are some nasty hack attacks the Internet goblins are perpetrating which involve setting up your router to tell your computer to use nefarious DNS servers enabling them to conduct a man-in-the-middle attack to get your login info. Then they'll drain your bank account and other nice things.

Keep system updates current.

Oh yeah, that fancy new TV may be listening...
    Last edited by CavemanBob; September 14th, 2019 at 09:14 PM.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

No data on any networked device is private and secure...ever. Just make that a working assumption in assessing the risk as you go about your life.
    Still Clingin'

None of this is news, although it is a good reminder of what we should always be aware. I urge everyone to do their own research.
    Sister likes this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    @CWOUSCG: Unfortunately, thread titles like "This is disturbing" are getting pretty complacence lately. I think we are all going to have to get more creative!

Seriously? This upsets you, the title?

Please donít answer, I say this in jest...but yet I sit here knowing in my heart that you are going to answer me arenít you? I know you will....go ahead, Iíll wait...

Rock and Glock likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    The Amish are on to something...

I like the hats, would it be disrespectful if I wore one of those hats the Amish women wear? I bet they have wireless underclothes too, comfortable!
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I like the hats, would it be disrespectful if I wore one of those hats the Amish women wear? I bet they have wireless underclothes too, comfortable!
    The clandestine "Bluetooth" brassiere?
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links