Happy Birthday USAF - Page 3

Happy Birthday USAF

This is a discussion on Happy Birthday USAF within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldChap My dad was in the USAAF (or USAAC whichever you prefer) from 1944 until early 1946. I never know which birthday ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Happy Birthday USAF

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    My dad was in the USAAF (or USAAC whichever you prefer) from 1944 until early 1946. I never know which birthday to celebrate in his honor!

Thankfully some of those birds are still flying today, 76 years after they rolled off the assembly lines.

Attachment 302116

Still awe-inspiring!
    In 1944, it was the US Army Air Forces. :)
    msgt/ret and OldChap like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Warheads on foreheads!!
    graydude likes this.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    In 1944, it was the US Army Air Forces. :)
    Actually it was USAAF in 1942, shortly after Pearl Harbor. Few of the WWII airmen were "Air Corps," AAF instead.
    msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Actually it was USAAF in 1942, shortly after Pearl Harbor. Few of the WWII airmen were "Air Corps," AAF instead.
    That is the way he always told it. He graduated from Texas A&M in 1944, already had his pilot's license and he went directly into USAAF for further pilot training, then multi-engine. He did a stint as an instructor for a month or so, then was assigned to the 2nd Bombardment Group (Heavy), 15th USAAF. He ferried a new B-17G and crew to North Africa and from there to Foggia (Amendola). 33 missions including being shot down and a successful crash landing on December 24th, 1944 behind Russian lines in a little village called Nagybanya in northwestern Romania. I never tire of honoring all veterans. These guys were all mostly just kids. Dad was awarded the DFC for this mission.

Happy Birthday USAF-9224154858_514689ca5c_o.jpg

Dad is the third from the left. This is the patch I remember on his jacket.

Name:  15thaf.png
Views: 15
Size:  8.4 KB
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Good landing. They walked away!
    sdprof and OD* like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It has flown to the edge of space (120,800 feet) as the NF-104A. When I was stationed at Eglin the local TV stations would play “High Flight” at sign off every night. We had a few F-104s at Eglin that I sometimes worked on; to this day I still remember the weird howl the intakes made at certain power settings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_NF-104A
    I bet several others here have also played "name that bird" based on engine noise. :)
    msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It has flown to the edge of space (120,800 feet) as the NF-104A. When I was stationed at Eglin the local TV stations would play “High Flight” at sign off every night. We had a few F-104s at Eglin that I sometimes worked on; to this day I still remember the weird howl the intakes made at certain power settings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_NF-104A
    B-52Ds howl at take-off power. B-52Gs roar. The last remaining Buffs, the H models, buzz with those fan jets. Yeah, can ID them with my eyes closed by the sounds.

Best aircraft I ever heard on takeoff was the F-105s. They'd run up to power for a moment and then--BOOM!--the afterburner kicked in. It would shake our hooch at Korat.

B-52Ds howl at take-off power. B-52Gs roar. The last remaining Buffs, the H models, buzz with those fan jets. Yeah, can ID them with my eyes closed by the sounds.

Best aircraft I ever heard on takeoff was the F-105s. They'd run up to power for a moment and then--BOOM!--the afterburner kicked in. It would shake our hooch at Korat.
    At Ellsworth we had all B1B's as those were a different beast all together. I remember hearing those engines many times.
    msgt/ret, OD* and graydude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    ... It seemed that patriotism was a lot higher during Desert Shield/Storm then is was back during the Vietnam war.
    As a young vet in 1970, I started college and learned very quickly to keep my veteran history to myself.

You Desert Storm changed all that, and made being a vet more socially acceptable. (Thanks all you Desert S/S vets!)

msgt/ret, m5215, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

The UltraHog. They took a LOT of runway. Pretty good machine once he got going, or so I’m told.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Good landing. They walked away!
    And if you can reuse the airplane it is an excellent landing.
    sdprof and OD* like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I bet several others here have also played "name that bird" based on engine noise. :)
    OldVet, Unisaw, OD* and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Worst I ever encountered was the EB-66s at Korat RTAFB. The engines produced a very high-pitched sound that penetrated both ear plugs and mouse ears combined. Fortunately (or unfortunately maybe), the engines were crap and many of the planes sat on the ramp with no engines.

This video shows -66s, and I believe it is at Korat, if I remember the big old hangar correctly.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6C6A&FORM=VIRE

My son's "office" B-52H ........96th Bomb Squadron 2nd Bomb Wing "Big Deuce" I even got to sit in the Wizzo seat (Radar Nav position) in the Cave under the flight deck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happy Birthday USAF-20160401_120904_001.jpg  

Happy Birthday USAF-20160401_120819.jpg  

Happy Birthday USAF-20160401_135258.jpg  

Happy Birthday USAF-steves-squadron.jpg  

Happy Birthday USAF-20160401_134419.jpg  

Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

U-Tapao, 1972.

Happy Birthday USAF-pict0060.jpg

Happy Birthday USAF-pict0061.jpg
    msgt/ret, CLASS3NH and OD* like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links