Happy Birthday USAF - Page 4

Happy Birthday USAF

This is a discussion on Happy Birthday USAF within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; B-52 Fob Drop at Barksdale AFB...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Happy Birthday USAF

B-52 Fob Drop at Barksdale AFB
    msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Big Belly G Models back then....... They held a LOTTA HURT.......made lotsa swimming pools too.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Big Belly G Models back then....... They held a LOTTA HURT.......made lotsa swimming pools too.
    And in nice neat rows.
    CLASS3NH and OldVet like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Although it can't carry as much raw ordnance as the B-52 you got to admit that the B-1B does have some curves in the right places.

Happy Birthday USAF-b-1b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    Although it can't carry as much raw ordnance as the B-52 you got to admit that the B-1B does have some curves in the right places.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-1B.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	302250
    They even look pretty good on the ground too! THIS one ....was pissin Hydralic fluid from the Stab area...... Right onto the tarmac where people were walking.....LOL...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happy Birthday USAF-img_0689.jpg  

Happy Birthday USAF-img_0686.jpg  

Happy Birthday USAF-img_0688.jpg  

Rock and Glock and OD* like this.

Used to be a joke when we went to Dyess for touch and goes. Why do they always have three B-1s on jacks, thatís all the jacks they have.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-1B.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	302250
    The "Bone" is like a Zoomie on steroids.....and they ARE a lotta noise! Steve Had the B-1 on his Dream Sheet, but got the BUFF......Either way...He's flying!
    OldVet, Rock and Glock and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Used to be a joke when we went to Dyess for touch and goes. Why do they always have three B-1s on jacks, thatís all the jacks they have.
    Took the words right out of my mouth!!! They're sexy as hell, BUT they're ALWAYS "broken" .........BUFFs Rule......Bones Drool....
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.

Always love the variable sweep wings on the B-1, F-111 and F-14, watching those wings sweep back the first thing that came to mind was "We going to be hauling donkey now".
    CLASS3NH, Rock and Glock and OD* like this.

The Gs carried 27 750-pounders as the standard load. The old black magic Ds could carry up to 102 500-pounders, but they had the advantage of wing racks the Gs did not. The wing racks led to the wing spar cracks that contributed to the Ds demise. A lot of BOOM! in both. One learned quickly to get out of the way of the bomb loaders with both too.

I didn't work on the Ds much, the G Model being my point of expertise. Very different aircraft in many ways. You couldn't walk past a D Model without getting hydraulic fluid on you. After VN, they sent some D models to G bases to make it look like we had more planes on the Russian satellites. Once a month a crew would crank the engines and taxi down the runway. Then we maintainers would spend the rest of the month fixing everything that broke.

The pilots all said the D model was a better flying aircraft with its tall tail and ailerons. I originally wanted to be a tail gunner on the D model. Sitting all along in the back with a handful of Ma Deuces seemed like a good way to pass time. Eyesight didn't meet the requirements though. Lucky me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The Gs carried 27 750-pounders as the standard load. The old black magic Ds could carry up to 102 500-pounders, but they had the advantage of wing racks the Gs did not. The wing racks led to the wing spar cracks that contributed to the Ds demise. A lot of BOOM! in both. One learned quickly to get out of the way of the bomb loaders with both too.

I didn't work on the Ds much, the G Model being my point of expertise. Very different aircraft in many ways. You couldn't walk past a D Model without getting hydraulic fluid on you. After VN, they sent some D models to G bases to make it look like we had more planes on the Russian satellites. Once a month a crew would crank the engines and taxi down the runway. Then we maintainers would spend the rest of the month fixing everything that broke.

The pilots all said the D model was a better flying aircraft with its tall tail and ailerons. I originally wanted to be a tail gunner on the D model. Sitting all along in the back with a handful of Ma Deuces seemed like a good way to pass time. Eyesight didn't meet the requirements though. Lucky me.
    Thanks for the Clarification!! D Model were the ones for sure!! You should go over to FB........B52 Stratoforess Groups there... Maintainers ...and the CrewDogs group too
    msgt/ret, Rock and Glock and OD* like this.

Thanks for the Clarification!! D Model were the ones for sure!! You should go over to FB.B52 Stratoforess Groups there... Maintainers ...and the CrewDogs group too
    My experience with the Ds was a love/hate relationship. The scene in Apocalypse Now where the patrol boat cruises past the D Model's tail sticking up out of the river always made my skin crawl. Creepy!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My experience with the Ds was a love/hate relationship. The scene in Apocalypse Now where the patrol boat cruises past the D Model's tail sticking up out of the river always made my skin crawl. Creepy!
    Here's a few scenes I've never seen before..........

Senior Moderator
    We lived in Wichita when the USAF had a wing of B-1Bs and a wing of KC-135s based at McConnell. I loved watching them fly. It was awesome.

I took a Cub Scout Den Out there, and they let the Cubs crawl all throughout the -135s, and even up into the B-1Bs. What a scout activity.

I also loved the flyovers during the Fourth of July. Treetop level it seemed. You could reach up and touch them! The Artillery from Ft. Carson always accompanied the Wichita Orchestra for the 1812.

Those were the best July 4ís ever, bar none!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Since others shared pictures of their workspaces in the big birds, here's what mine looked like when I retired. It was a lot more primitive in my earlier days.

Attachment 302266

(It's a large linked image, won't display here on it's own. Click the link.)
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links