Mutant Lobster - Page 2

Mutant Lobster

This is a discussion on Mutant Lobster within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ^^^^^^ A smart lady. That makes sense....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Mutant Lobster

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^^ A smart lady. That makes sense.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I still bet it would still go well with some hot drawn butter and a bit of garlic.
    In my distant youth, my father would treat me to broiled lobster tail dinner when we visited what used to be San Francisco at Alioto's #9 restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf. Clarified butter with freshly cracked pepper swimming in it for dipping, exquisite sourdough bread, a baked potato, and broccoli. I'll never see the like again.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    My marine biologist wife thinks that the animal was possibly damaged at some point, which caused the additional growth.
    I was watching one of Andrew Zimmern shows when he was out on a boat in Florida with a crabber, I don’t remember what species of crab they were catching but they would remove one claw then toss the crab back. I didn’t know it at the time but crabs will regrow a new claw by the time they molt.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I was watching one of Andrew Zimmern shows when he was out on a boat in Florida with a crabber, I don’t remember what species of crab they were catching but they would remove one claw then toss the crab back. I didn’t know it at the time but crabs will regrow a new claw by the time they molt.
    Stone crab. The claws are the only good part and man are they good! Probably my favorite. When you catch them, you are not allowed to keep the whole crab. You must remove the larger claw and toss him back so he can regrow another. Stone crab claws are going to cost more but they are certainly worth it.

Darn. Now I want some!
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

It may just be me but I find the warm water spiny lobster far tastier than the cold water Maine lobsters.
    Just the opposite here, bet it's what you had become used to first.

My wife and I did a book and DVD on diving for lobster in California.
    MMinSC likes this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    @MMinSC

Good to know! Most folks up here just drop them in a big pot of boiling water. Eight minutes.

Do you have time estimates for either? Up here most folks just say "Ahhhh........eight minutes will do it".............

Several blues and albinos have been trapped this year too.
    Honestly I do not remember. Do it everyday and you just "know". In a gourmet restaurant, something like breaking down lobsters is a pretty low level job so that was when I was 14-16 years old. I probably did not know the exact time even then. If you have 8 or 9 things cooking at once, you can't have timers all over the place going off. You just have to know it and something clicks in my head. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

I can help with the method though.

1. Remove tails. Just rip it off. He won't bite you. Use two bamboo skewers(6-8 inch) and insert them in the lobsters butt. Underneath the tail obviously, you will see it. Hold the tail flat(it will try to curl and will still be moving at this point) and push the skewers through longways as close to the top of the shell as possible. This will give you a nice straight tail after it is poached and not one curled up like a rollie pollie bug.

2. Rip off the claws with the knuckle attached

3. Keep the bodies, I'll get to that later.

4. Bring a pot of court bullion to a boil. Poach the claws and then poach the tails. Just boiling water works fine if you do not want to make a court bouillion. If you do: https://www.escoffieronline.com/how-...ourt-bouillon/

5. If you want to serve them in the shell, pull the skewers out and you are done. If you want to serve them chilled or you want to eat them without the shell, put them directly into a bowl of ice and water to prevent overcooking.

Extra stuff:

Fine dining places want to serve the meat without the shell and for it to be whole. To do this:
    ---For the tails, hold it between your hands and squeeze the bottom edges together. You will hear a crack that is the spine of the shell. Then just hold onto the bottom edges of the shell and reverse the motion. This will rip the shell right apart and you will have a nice whole tail.
    ---For the claws, break off the small digit in a swift motion. Lay the rest of the claw on a cutting board and whack it with the back of a heavy chef knife in the middle of the claw. Then you can wiggle out an intact lobster claw.
    ---For the knuckles, use kitchen shears. Those will be small pieces you can use as an accent for other dishes.

Lobster Oil--
    Save all the cooked shells. Put them in a small pot with just enough oil to cover them and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Strain and you have a nice lobster infused oil. Store in the fridge for a few weeks. Can keep redoing the same oil as you get more shells for a more intense flavor. Lots of uses- slowly cook scrambled eggs with it, drizzle it on cooked, smoked or chilled seafood, drizzle on a gravlox plate, etc.

Lobster Stock--
    The bucket of bodies that were reserved in the very beginning. Probably still squirming around in there. To prepare them, rip the carapace off. Rip out the brains from the obvious location and any guts. That part is ready. For the rest of the body. Scrape off any intestines and throw them out. If you see any dark green egg sacks in the body, reserve for the roe later. Toss all the body parts in a little oil and roast in a hot oven until they are a nice deep red. In a pot and covered with water. Add celery, onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, tomato paste and simmer for about an hour. Strain and you have lobster broth. This is the base for soups, can be reduced down for a very flavorful sauce, etc. Good stuff.

Lobster Coral--
    This is the sacks of roe that were reserved when breaking down the bodies for broth. Gently poach in water until they turn a vibrant red. Cool and chop very fine. The individual eggs are very tiny and chopping will break them up. Lobster coral makes a great functional garnish and can be used for beurre blanc type sauces, In a vinaigrette for a chilled seafood dish, sprinkled on top of a lobster bisque, etc (The bisque would be easy to make since you now have the knuckle meat, broth and coral).

Lots of tasty stuff and no parts wasted.

--Notes on cooking times.
    I just remembered a few things. A cooking time is hard to judge in advance since the sizes vary. The sizes are very specific, usually 4 oz variation at each level. So a case of chick lobsters will always be between 1-1.25 lbs. So that gives you some indication of how long it will take. There is a cooking time variation within each size group though. A newly molted lobster will have a thin shell. Boiling water can transfer heat faster through a thin shell so that can cut a minute off the time. You also end up with more meat since they are sized by weight and thinner shell requires more meat to make weight. Conversely, a lobster that has grown to his capacity will have a very thick dense shell that can add a minute or a bit more to the cooking. Whatever you buy, they always are at the same stage more or less. I.E. a case will be identical and if you are buying just a few, they will be from the same lot. Just looking at them will tell you a little about cooking time.

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^^ Yep. Just boil them.

Thank you.

Just teasing you.

My Dear Wife just invited you up. We’ll jump for the lobsters and all the fixin’s you chose.

🦞 🦞 🦞
    MMinSC, msgt/ret and Sister like this.

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

^^^^^^ Yep. Just boil them.

Thank you.

Just teasing you.
    No problem. Even though I answered everything except your actual question! All those things are very simple and fast to do despite the amount of words it took me.
    Rock and Glock and Sister like this.

My Dear Wife just invited you up. We’ll jump for the lobsters and all the fixin’s you chose.

🦞 🦞 🦞
    Anytime!

Senior Moderator
    Honestly I do not remember. Do it everyday and you just "know". In a gourmet restaurant, something like breaking down lobsters is a pretty low level job so that was when I was 14-16 years old. I probably did not know the exact time even then. If you have 8 or 9 things cooking at once, you can't have timers all over the place going off. You just have to know it and something clicks in my head. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
    All those things are very simple and fast to do despite the amount of words it took me.
    ^^^^^ That is why you are a world famous chef, and I am not.
    msgt/ret and MMinSC like this.

What you got there is called a Lobster ventriloquist

They are raised around Dare county in NC, those folks know how to do stuff like that.
    M1911A1 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

I always wonder about the first person to eat a lobster. They must have been starving. Who would have thought a creature so ugly would be a tasty meal for so many.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    I always wonder about the first person to eat a lobster. They must have been starving. Who would have thought a creature so ugly would be a tasty meal for so many.
    The mythology:

Between the 17th and 18th centuries, lobsters were plentiful—too plentiful. Colonists often found massive mounds of shellfish along the Massachusetts shoreline (some piled up to a man’s knees), and children could spend a few hours fishing and come home with buckets full of dinner. In fact, there were so many lobsters that people got sick of them. Instead of eating them with butter, people started serving lobsters to their pigs, cows, and cats while Native Americans used them as fertilizer and fish bait.

The crustaceans eventually acquired a stigma, and—according to American observer John Rowan—became “signs of poverty and degradation.” They were only served to prisoners and indentured servants, but even these slaves and crooks had rights. Indentured servants from Massachusetts got so fed up with eating lobster every day that they took their masters to court, and the judge ruled in their favor, ruling the servants would only have to eat lobster three times a week.
    Might be fact. I wasn't there, despite rumors to the contrary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links