Am I bum for not wanting to go out on Friday night? - Page 3

Am I bum for not wanting to go out on Friday night?

This is a discussion on Am I bum for not wanting to go out on Friday night? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jmf552 ...My hands and my ear are holding up well with age, but my speed and timing arenít what they were. Yeah. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Am I bum for not wanting to go out on Friday night?

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    ...My hands and my ear are holding up well with age, but my speed and timing arenít what they were.
    Yeah.
    That's how it started for me, too.
    Slow deterioration.

I made the error of letting go of it, because my hands couldn't keep up with my mind.
    Don't make the same mistake! Keep at it.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

I quit drinking in 1982 and that pretty much killed the bar life for me. I don't think I've been in an actual bar (as opposed to a restaurant that serves alcohol) in over 10 years.

I've also been working nights almost exclusively since 2003 and that kind of killed the night life for me.

I don't feel like I can get comfortable out in public, I don't feel like I can relax. I don't like bright lights, I don't like noise and I don't like crowds. I don't like being interrupted by the server while I'm talking to my wife even though I understand that's their job. I would rather sit at home and eat my wife's spaghetti THAN go to the Olive Garden.

I'm really not a people person. One of my favorite assignments was working nights on a site out past the edge of town. I think the entire two years I was there there was only ever one time that there was a client employee on site at same time I was there. Other than a visit every week or so from my supervisor I was alone and I loved it.
    Last edited by Cypher; September 21st, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
    Rooster, msgt/ret and TSKnight like this.

Have not gone to an evening movie in over 15 years, possibly 20 years, afternoon movies only.
    Not sure exactly when we quit going "out for dinner" wasn't a conscious decision, more like attrition, maybe 10 years ago, "out to eat" is lunch.
    Standard protocol for Friday night is pick up take out and bring it home, when picking up kids after school or wife driving back from work.
    Its a 25 min. one way drive to "town" - moved "out here" 15 years ago - that is a factor.
    I (we) really have no desire to be out "late" - content to relax at home.
    Yea, we sometimes out at night and get home "late" like 8-9PM but its was / is due to work, not a choice.
    My oldest son turns 16 in December, a requirement of his learners permit is __ hours of night driving with an adult; we are going to get that done ASAP while it still gets dark early.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

My wife and I eat out a lot. Her hip joints give her a great deal of trouble, so I don't push her to stand around and cook every evening. We buy a discount book they sell here that has buy-one-get-one coupons at many of the local restaurants. We can afford it, we enjoy getting out, so we do it. It's our "vice," so to speak.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

My Friday nights are usually spent at home, meat on the grill, and then time in the jacuzzi with a nice red wine.
    Iím married so I have no need to go on the hunt, and all of my wifeís friends are female and half my age, come to our place, so, hell, Iím a happy camper!
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My Friday nights are usually spent at home, meat on the grill, and then time in the jacuzzi with a nice red wine.
    Iím married so I have no need to go on the hunt, and all of my wifeís friends are female and half my age, come to our place, so, hell, Iím a happy camper!
    This is exactly why my Wife marked her territory the last time we were out. We were at her class reunion.
    Did I mention she's almost 20 years my junior?

Yea, that's gotten me in trouble a time or two. >;~}
    Rooster, OD*, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    It sucks to get old (66 here). I go out to eat a lot but bar hopping is no longer important to me. Actually, I wish I never went to a bar in my younger days - what a waste of time. I find that I have more fun at home than spending a lot of money going out. I don't even go to the cinema - I wait for it to be available to stream since that's a lot cheaper.
    5lima30ret, Rooster, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Nah, I'm not much of a bar fly after having to police them (along with other drunken events like NASCAR races, Spring Break, Bike Week, etc) for too many years! Just my .02 worth!
    TSKnight, Rooster, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    When I was still working, I despised going out on Fridays. Now that I'm retired, I still despise going out on Fridays, or most any night for that matter.

In TN there's essentially zero tolerance for drinking and carrying, so with rare exceptions, going out with the gang for drinks and dinner is pretty much a once a year thing around our college homecoming (next weekend as it turns out). We get together at a local brewpub the night before tailgating on Saturday. While we have matured to the point no one over imbibes, seeing old friends, one from as far away as Thailand, is that rare occassion where I go out unarmed at night.
    Rooster and TSKnight like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links