A place for the homeless? Your thoughts.

This is a discussion on A place for the homeless? Your thoughts. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got my tin foil hat on, told my better half that this is the new “FEMA Camps”, how it’s all going to get started. He ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: A place for the homeless? Your thoughts.

Got my tin foil hat on, told my better half that this is the new “FEMA Camps”, how it’s all going to get started. He doesn’t agree. Lots of empty Big Box stores since the shopping on-line came about and empty malls. The storm in Houston flooded many large retail stores and they just sit empty.

Below is a link to what is being talked about with making homes for the homeless with cubicals, not sure where exactly they want to do this.

You know where the money would come from, our taxes of course. How likely is this to work? If you give a drug addict or person with a mental health issue a cubical to live in will they stop doing drugs and get all better?

What exactly are they talking about? What do you think of this idea? told you, got my foil hat on I think they are up to something...

https://www.designboom.com/architect...ss-10-25-2018/
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

We had a joke in the Navy about the "Not Fit for Duty Roster" the duty officer had to keep up to date in the command. We called it the "Sick, Lame, Lazy and Crazy List." I know this will rankle the PC crowd, but I say figure out which category every homeless person is in.
    Sick, lame: Give them basic humanitarian care. Once they are well, tell them to get a job a place to stay.
    Lazy: Tell them to get a job a place to stay.
    Crazy: If they can be gotten under control, do so. Then tell them to get a job a place to stay. If not, institutionalize them.

Anyone told to get a job and a place to stay who fails to do so should be given some sort of menial job, that pays for some sort of menial lodging. If they won't work, deport them to San Francisco. They like that sort of thing out there.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Hmmm. Putting drug addicts and mentally ill (along with some who are temporarily down on their luck) in a confined space, that I assume will have rules for conduct?

I think the "law of unintended consequences" will be a major player in this scheme.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

flh
    Hurricane Katrina , The "Louisiana Superdome " come to mind ...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

One thing is for dead certain. Any Utopian concept picture of what that place will look like after three weeks of use is simply a pipe dream (and you know what's in the pipe!).

Their business website, and I wonder exactly what sort of profit they're looking at, looks like something out of "Leave It To Beaver."
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

There are over 630,000 homeless people in America. 67,495 are veterans. I'd think many vets have drug/alcohol problems and many suffer ptsd or some other mental disorder.

They deserve all the help we can give them. A cubicle is preferable to an alleyway or under a bridge embankment.

I would think a better plan would be to take a super size store and make half of it a place for sleeping/living, and make the other half a place that builds something of clever design that would sell well. Then advertise as a place especially offering jobs and quarters to homeless vets.
    AzQkr, ETXhiker, Bikenut and 5 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Senior Moderator
    These matters try men's souls and tear at the boundaries of their compassion.

I like @jmf552 's solution, as well as @OldChap 's.....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Our Vets should come first above all other homeless. For non-Veterans, sort them out by cause like jmf552 said.

Handouts should be a hand up, not a hammock; a moment in life, not a career. I will never understand why my money must be used to support others via government's gun to my head. If I want to help, it is rightly I who will choose who, for what, and how much; not a corrupt government politician or partisan bureaucrat. Democrats historically disagree.

Not one Vet should be hungry, homeless, or uncared for because it is our solemn American Duty to care for them.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

The unemployment office would be a good starting point. Trouble is, the majority of homeless want to be homeless. You can't make them get a job and support themselves, not when they can panhandle more tax-free money than if working.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Don’t worry, Sister. Once they put those people inside and, in “cubical”, they’ll think they’re about to be put to work and, leave. Problem solved!
    Sister likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Aside from the homeless Veterans, who can get help if they follow the rules, (no drugs or drinking), and the mentally ill, living on the street has been simplified for all the other homeless people by liberal city politics, the ACLU, etc. I don't know what the ultimate solution is but present ways of dealing with them is not working. I've never been threatened by aggressive pan handlers or other homeless people, but it seems that they care little for others' property or well being.
    OldVet, M1911A1, airslot and 2 others like this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The unemployment office would be a good starting point. Trouble is, the majority of homeless want to be homeless. You can't make them get a job and support themselves, not when they can panhandle more tax-free money than if working.
    Unemployment office can't help get you a job when you're living on the streets with no address, no transportation etc. And though many choose to be homeless there are thousands of vets who would work if given a chance, many lost their homes in the 09 housing crash and became homeless, sometimes whole families living out of a vehicle until the vehicle broke down with no funds to repair same, they were left with no other choice. Once that spiral starts, it's nearly impossible to stop the inevitable.

I took a homeless vet holding a sign on a street corner near the financial district of Boston looking for pocket change to just be able to buy some food that day to lunch, I told him I'd buy him a hot meal but not give him money, he accepted. Got his story while having lunch and decided I could do more for this down on his luck vet and he said he'd do anything to get out from under. Told him I'd pick him up just after market close.

I picked him up on the corner, drove him to a motel with a kitchenette on the South Shore nearer to my place. Once that was secured for 1 week on my card, I took him grocery shopping and stocked his fridge. Next to Goodwill for some clean clothes, then back to the motel and told him I'd pick him up early the next morning, I'd introduce him to a buddy of mine always looking for a good mechanic [ that's what he used to do for a living ].

Buddy met him and hired him on my say so that morning, he stayed and worked that day. I picked him up and drove him back to the motel. Next morning drove him to my buddies place and asked my bud if he'd sell me a reliable car for under or around 2K, I'd have him take a little each week from his pay to give to me. My buddy said no way, he could take one of the cars back to the motel and pay him out of his check each week, told me he was a master mechanic and he had a job as long as he wanted it.

Cost me a little time and money, but that guy ended up getting his life back in order, getting an apt [ I had to cosign the lease ], getting his wife back [ who had gone to live with a relative ] and became a productive citizen once again. I also had him sign on with the local VA and get his card which he'd never bothered to do.

All he needed was someone to give him a break, he got it. They are out there, many of them just need a shot of help to get them productive again.
    Poorly, Bikenut, OldVet and 8 others like this.

I suggest that your success story is rare.
    I have offered many streetcorner beggars gainful employment. All of them said "Yes!" But none of them ever showed up for work.

Some encampment dwellers will accept public housing and help, but a whole lot of them refuse to "live under rules."
    Of course, a lot of those rules are arbitrary and penalizing: No smoking; no drugs of any kind; no live-in partners; no psychological problems.

Seattle is throwing a huge amount of money at their homeless problem, to the detriment of roads, bridges, sewers, and other infrastructure maintenance. And what do they have to show for it? Not a whole lot.

San Francisco has a human-feces problem, mostly because the city doesn't provide public toilets, or even porta-potties...but think: Do you like using porta-potties? No, I didn't think so.

It's pretty easy for a city to throw money at this problem, but I suggest that the real solutions involve medical and psychological counselling at the homeless-encampment location, not at the doctor's or psychologist's office.
    Further, big-box retailers could pretty easily provide encampment space on-site, the proviso being that the dwellers have to work at the store, keep reasonably clean, and have to do a reasonably good job. Workers could thereby lift themselves up and out of homelessness.
    Cities could let encampments stay wherever they now are, in return for personal and camp cleanliness. Don't contribute to the cleanliness? Out you go.

There are lots better ideas than expensive, enforced "little houses" under strict civic control and rules.
    Sister likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

I hate to sound harsh, but if you want more of something all you have to do is subsidize it
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links