Hal Moore on leadership in the battlefield and in life

This is a discussion on Hal Moore on leadership in the battlefield and in life within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This country sorely needs more like him. 1. Always one more thing that I can do to influence a situation in my favor. Doing extra ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hal Moore on leadership in the battlefield and in life

This country sorely needs more like him.

1. Always one more thing that I can do to influence a situation in my favor. Doing extra creates opportunities.
    2. What am I doing that I shouldn't be doing, and what am I not doing that I should be doing to make a difference?
    3. Go where the action is. Be composed in voice and tone, even the look in your eyes.
    4. Trust your instincts.
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member
    wow, do I agree. Today I read that the US is leaving the Kurds on their own to face an assault from the Turks. The Kurds lost 15,000 warriors in the fight against ISIS and we trained, supplied and supporters them with intelligence, artilery, and advisors. I know that there at least three men who have fought for the country who despise that decision: Hal Moore, James Mattis, and me.
    viney266 and Struckat like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

We have been working with the Kurds for years. We canít hold their hands forever. Mattis can be against it all he wants. I liked him as a General but I donít agree with him on a lot of other things. As far as Iím concerned we should be leaving Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan and letting them all take care of themselves. Itís time to put America first like we were told back in 2016, even though we probably still wonít.

As far as the video, I agree with what he said, but nothing he said should seem special. Key word being should. I guess these days they are crazy concepts though.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    wow, do I agree. Today I read that the US is leaving the Kurds on their own to face an assault from the Turks. The Kurds lost 15,000 warriors in the fight against ISIS and we trained, supplied and supporters them with intelligence, artilery, and advisors. I know that there at least three men who have fought for the country who despise that decision: Hal Moore, James Mattis, and me.
    Well, it ain't the first time we've deserved an ally, and probably won't be the last.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    We have been working with the Kurds for years. We canít hold their hands forever. Mattis can be against it all he wants. I liked him as a General but I donít agree with him on a lot of other things. As far as Iím concerned we should be leaving Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan and letting them all take care of themselves. Itís time to put America first like we were told back in 2016, even though we probably still wonít.

As far as the video, I agree with what he said, but nothing he said should seem special. Key word being should. I guess these days they are crazy concepts though.

It looks like you are going to get your wish. And when the Kurds move to get support from Iran which does not like Turkey watch the area go into chaos, and the US end up on the short one of the stick. Oh, and do not forget that the Kurds were our proxy army in Syria. We just told anyone who might consider fighting of a cause e support that onc3 they do their work we consider them toast. Not good. I have a long view of historical alliances, successes, and failures not a convenient one.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

It looks like you are going to get your wish. And when the Kurds move to get support from Iran which does not like Turkey watch the area go into chaos, and the US end up on the short one of the stick. Oh, and do not forget that the Kurds were our proxy army in Syria. We just told anyone who might consider fighting of a cause e support that onc3 they do their work we consider them toast. Not good. I have a long view of historical alliances, successes, and failures not a convenient one.
    Yes they have helped us, and we have helped them. That doesnít mean we are in eternal debt to them. Iíve been hearing for years that we are ending wars and leaving countries. Iíll believe it when I see it.

I've been reading some of Moore's books. The video is straightforward. Take from it what you will, but the guy had character and demonstrated leadership. We need more leaders like him.
    airslot likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Yes they have helped us, and we have helped them. That doesnít mean we are in eternal debt to them. Iíve been hearing for years that we are ending wars and leaving countries. Iíll believe it when I see it.
    Can you explain to me how abandoning the one ally we have in the region is good strategy IF we want to maintain influence in the area? IF you think that we should abandon influence in th area and leave Israel surrounded by hostile forces could you explain that? I am asking in terms of geopolitical strategy, not political whim to fulfill a campaign promise that should not have been made.

Strategy is a plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    I've been reading some of Moore's books. The video is straightforward. Take from it what you will, but the guy had character and demonstrated leadership. We need more leaders like him.
    I remember the battle. It was Air Cav in late 1965 before I was in Nam. You know he and his men fought through a desperate situation because he had call. in air support on his own positions to beat off an attack. He reversed the tide of the battle with a bayonet charge that drove the NVA off the field. It was not untii the battles were over that it became clear his latch up was fighting more than a division of NVA.

You want to read the story written by an AP reporter who was there, get a copy of They Were Soldiers Once And Young or wayht the movie which does not even come close to the details in the book. God praise brave warriors. He and his were such.
    airslot likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

Can you explain to me how abandoning the one ally we have in the region is good strategy IF we want to maintain influence in the area? IF you think that we should abandon influence in th area and leave Israel surrounded by hostile forces could you explain that? I am asking in terms of geopolitical strategy, not political whim to fulfill a campaign promise that should not have been made.

Strategy is a plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim.
    I donít really care about maintaining influence in the region. I care about our country. Calling somethjng a good strategy only out of fear of finally being the one to finally break the cycle of doing what we have always done is a stretch. Iím less concerned with them than I am is. People are tired of our involvement in the Middle East. You call it a campaign promise that shouldnít have been made, but whether you like it or not, itís what America wants, and has wanted for years. Our service members did not take an oath to protect the Kurds.
    1942bull likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I donít really care about maintaining influence in the region. I care about our country. Calling somethjng a good strategy only out of fear of finally being the one to finally break the cycle of doing what we have always done is a stretch. Iím less concerned with them than I am is. People are tired of our involvement in the Middle East. You call it a campaign promise that shouldnít have been made, but whether you like it or not, itís what America wants, and has wanted for years. Our service members did not take an oath to protect the Kurds.
    At the onset of WWII British Prime Minister Chamberlain agreed to not oppose the annexation of parts of Czechoslovakia by Germany. He said"

"The settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace."

The outcome was WWII. The Brits wanted to disengage, and they did. The rest is history. Disengagement often means disaster when you are dealing with tyrants like Assad, Putin, Erdogan, and the whole lot of Iranians. Be careful what you wish for.
    Havok likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

At the onset of WWII British Prime Minister Chamberlain agreed to not oppose the annexation of parts of Czechoslovakia by Germany. He said"

"The settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace."

The outcome was WWII. The Brits wanted to disengage, and they did. The rest is history. Disengagement often means disaster when you are dealing with tyrants like Assad, Putin, Erdogan, and the whole lot of Iranians. Be careful what you wish for.
    If you havent seen the video of John Mccain grilling SecDef Carter over our failure in Syria, I recommend watching it. Leaving isnt the disaster, our presence is the disaster. If someone asked me to provide an example of incompetence, it would be our dealings in the middle east. If I could bring back We are over there to line our governments pockets. We aren't there for the Kurds, or the Syrians, or anything like that. We have been unsuccessful at turning countries with tyrannical governments into prosperous nations. All we have done is make things worse. No matter what Mattis or Moore says, Americans have said for over 10 years that they want to wash their hands of the wars in the middle east. The "government knows best" approach here is no better than it is when the topic is gun control.

All I can say is a good friend was embedded with the Kurds for a year and he does nothing but speak highly of them.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Distinguished Member
    If you havent seen the video of John Mccain grilling SecDef Carter over our failure in Syria, I recommend watching it. Leaving isnt the disaster, our presence is the disaster. If someone asked me to provide an example of incompetence, it would be our dealings in the middle east. If I could bring back We are over there to line our governments pockets. We aren't there for the Kurds, or the Syrians, or anything like that. We have been unsuccessful at turning countries with tyrannical governments into prosperous nations. All we have done is make things worse. No matter what Mattis or Moore says, Americans have said for over 10 years that they want to wash their hands of the wars in the middle east. The "government knows best" approach here is no better than it is when the topic is gun control.
    I abhorred the Vietnam War, it was senesless, stupid and cost 58,000 American lives and over 200,000 WIA, including me. I was a Marine, and I did what I was ordered to do just as Hal More did. we did not get to choose or debate. We just faced the enemy fire and fought on. That is what warrior do. f I were you ,

I am taking about Principle not self serving poetical nonsense. I do not care what anyone said. I lived for ten years n a world where the most important people were those who fought with you. They would die for you, and you would die for them. I am a man who does not care about political rantings. I do not know what a "state genius" is.
    Last edited by OD*; October 9th, 2019 at 12:26 PM.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America

I abhorred the Vietnam War, it was senesless, stupid and cost 58,000 American lives and over 200,000 WIA, including me. I was a Marine, and I did what I was ordered to do just as Hal More did. we did not get to choose or debate. We just faced the enemy fire and fought on. That is what warrior do. f I were you ,

I am taking about Principle not self serving poetical nonsense. I do not care what anyone said. I lived for ten years n a world where the most important people were those who fought with you. They would die for you, and you would die for them. I am a man who does not care about political rantings. I do not know what a "state genius" is.
    Just to be clear, nothing i said in any of my posts should be interpreted as me saying that General Moore was not a good leader when he was a General. I just disagree with the globalist approach. You are also mistaken if you think my opinion is based on political ratings. The government is supposed to be for the people. I get what you are saying about the camaraderie, but that has nothing to do with either the video in the OP, or any support that General Moore May have had for an endless war in the Middle East.
    Last edited by OD*; October 9th, 2019 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links