Vaping - Page 2

Vaping

This is a discussion on Vaping within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by gnius I'm a pulmonologist. I think it's stupid to ban vaping after a dozen deaths, when 1000 people die of smoking every ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Vaping

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    I'm a pulmonologist.

I think it's stupid to ban vaping after a dozen deaths, when 1000 people die of smoking every day and we think that's legal. I'd rather people didn't smoke and get sick and die, but it's not up to me to force them to do or not do something with their bodies, as long as it only harms them and no one else. It's a stupid decision, but life is full of such. What happened to "my body, my choice"? However, marketing it as a "safer" alternative to smoking is rather deceptive, and I do find the increasing prevalence of e-cigs among children very disturbing. We don't really know if it is a safer alternative to smoking because it hasn't been out there long enough to decide what long-term damage it will cause. Furthermore, it is well-documented that e-cig smoke is full of volatile organics, nebulized lipid, and microplastics. There is really no way that mix is going to be safe.
    Now that I've taken care of a few young people with respiratory failure in the ICU from vaping-related lung disease, I surely won't be recommending it as a smoking cessation method to any of my patients.
    You make some excellent points GNIUS, thanks. (from a toxicologist.)

There is much we do no know about vaping, but I do have an observation.

Young folks are drawn to it. I see it daily. At a time when cigarette smoking is (justifiably) a social taboo in many circles, many teens (and pre teens) have no problem w vaping. As GNIUS might attest, the lungs are a particularly sensitive route of exposure; and, if delayed onset of symptoms are to be observed in five or ten years (or 20) then the young are at particular risk.

As far as banning? That's a tough one. I hate govt making choices, but I also think that young persons need guidance until they can think outside of the social pressure container. For starters, it would be helpful if vaping would be as socially toxic as smoking.

5lima30ret, OldChap and Hoganbeg like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    At one time I was thinking that if my kids were considering smoking that they would do vaping instead. Apparently that's not the safe alternative that they were promoting.
    DZUS and OldChap like this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    23 people have died in the US from vaping. Other than Ebola, what can you think of that has caused less deaths in the US? I’m not saying I think vaping is a good idea, but from what I understand, the big problem is the black market that is being created, where more unknown chemicals are being put in.

I just think it’s interesting that we will talk about how few people are murdered with rifles, but something that causes only a small fraction of the deaths is some major epidemic that needs to be addressed. Meanwhile, people will continue eating McDonald’s, and McDonald’s will continue to catch the attention of our kids to ensure they want to eat the unhealthy food.
    We shouldn't forget the history of tobacco use. For a long time, cigarettes were thought to be good for you. From the 30's to the 50's there were cigarette ads with doctors smoking and a lot of doctors did smoke. Even after a solid link to lung cancer was established in the 50's and 60's, not much was done for decades.

The connection of vaping to deadly disease is not full known yet and the phenomenon is still young. We don't actually know how many people have died from vaping and we won't know how many will die for decades. But the signs are there. The comparison with McDonalds is not apt. McDonalds is food. Everyone needs to eat. It is not good food, but it is not poison. No one needs to smoke or vape. And an occasional Big Mac as a treat never hurt anyone.

People should be able to do what they want. But companies making millions marketing poison to children is despicable.
    ButtShot14 and OldChap like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    We shouldn't forget the history of tobacco use. For a long time, cigarettes were thought to be good for you. From the 30's to the 50's there were cigarette ads with doctors smoking and a lot of doctors did smoke. Even after a solid link to lung cancer was established in the 50's and 60's, not much was done for decades.

The connection of vaping to deadly disease is not full known yet and the phenomenon is still young. We don't actually know how many people have died from vaping and we won't know how many will die for decades. But the signs are there. The comparison with McDonalds is not apt. McDonalds is food. Everyone needs to eat. It is not good food, but it is not poison. No one needs to smoke or vape. And an occasional Big Mac as a treat never hurt anyone.

People should be able to do what they want. But companies making millions marketing poison to children is despicable.
    Has anyone said they believed vaping was healthy? Vaping has been around for a long time. The CDC keeps track of deaths associated with vaping.

Maybe you are right about the comparison between mcdonalds and vaping. Far more people will die from mcdonalds, or other junk food. But just as people need to eat, people need to breathe. Just like people eat and drink things that are unhealthy, people inhale things that are unhealthy.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    From the reports I have read it looks like most of the cases are from vapers using black market and THC products in their vapers.
    Things that it was never designed to do.
    Put crap into your lungs and this is the outcome.
    People truly are stupid.
    I agree with you 100% People are STUPID.

I was born in a Pub in Lancashire, UK. When I was 4 YOA? I was admitted to the hospital, that I was born in. Whiston Hospital, Merseyside. With some cough related, not too terrible complaint. My Dad received a phone call from the Hospital. Upgrading my illness to Diptheria! And I was transferred to the fever ward. Most died of that in those days. Right in the middle of the Second WW.

My Dad had a Cigarette in his hand, dropped it on the Pub floor, stamped it out, and never smoked a cigarette after that in his life, puffed on his pipe now and again though.

I received my Anti Smoking lesson, at aged not sure what? with my best Buddy Eddie Cullen. I had borrowed (stolen) a packet of Full Strength Capstan cigarets from the Bar. With a pack of matches and the Ciggys, we hid near the Dog Kennel in the large garden, behind the pub.

My Dad (Who would have made an excellent Police Officer) caught us on our first puff, and hack!

"You like smoking aye?" Oh aye, we both said. He much to our dismay, supervised the smoking of three of these unfiltered coffin nails!
    That was the last time I ever smoked anything, ever!

Not sure about Eddy, his house was bombed. Before the end of the bombing raids on Liverpool Docks.

Shortly after arriving in Orlando, Dec. 2004. We applied to become Volunteers with Orange County Sheriffs Dept.

We learned of this via something in the local paper. They accepted both of us in this very informative program. We were privy to all kinds of information normal citizens were not (we did not even have our Green Cards then!)

You were given the exact same grilling as a prospective Deputy was given, not a Polygraph.

You sat across a desk from a Deputy. He was facing a Lap Top Computer, I had a Mic fastened to my shirt. He had a Mic in front of his mouth.

Where you were born, those kinds of questions. All ground to a halt "When did you last smoke Pot?" My truthful answer. "I have never smoked Pot" He did not believe me. After he tried to tell me it was OK, as long as I quit that practice after becoming a Volunteer. In 10 different ways! I explained patiently also, I had not, do not, and have never ever smoked anything! Including Pot.

He kind of accepted that. Then crash! It got very hard. Have you ever been in a fight as an adult? He had made a keystroke as he asked the question. My answer YES! Stopped him dead. Fingers flew over the keys, the next question... Have you ever been in a fight where people were injured, or even killed? YES!
    "Have you ever used weapons in a fight?" This yes answer had his headset whipped off, big eyes looked at me!

He said where was this all taking place? I told him I was a Bouncer at Night Clubs in Liverpool England, including at The Cavern Club, of Beatles fame, 1960 till 1964. At that venue, I was stabbed twice. My last year, 1965 at The Blue Angel on Seal Street. "Oh" he said, I think he had heard of Liverpool Dock Land Clubs, mayhap he had some knowledge on that part of the British Isles.

After my Bouncing years, we immigrated to Sydney, Australia! My wife and two little kids, we only lasted 3 years there, the wife at that time did not last much longer than that either! I got better at picking Wives! This little Lady has lasted 26 years! She has the patience of Job.

People do stuff to themself they wouldn't do to their dog.
    Smoking of any variety is dumb.
    ButtShot14 and OldChap like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    I've been bareback embalming (no respirator, mask, or exhaust fan) for over 23 years. I've inhaled the harshest formaldehyde vapors possible, God only knows the volume of decomp gases, cremated remains dust, etc. What does vaping juice have in it that's worse than that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I've been bareback embalming (no respirator, mask, or exhaust fan) for over 23 years. I've inhaled the harshest formaldehyde vapors possible, God only knows the volume of decomp gases, cremated remains dust, etc. What does vaping juice have in it that's worse than that?

Ive heard of people smoking cigarettes dipped in embalming fluid as well.

23 people have died in the US from vaping. Other than Ebola, what can you think of that has caused less deaths in the US? I’m not saying I think vaping is a good idea, but from what I understand, the big problem is the black market that is being created, where more unknown chemicals are being put in.

I just think it’s interesting that we will talk about how few people are murdered with rifles, but something that causes only a small fraction of the deaths is some major epidemic that needs to be addressed. Meanwhile, people will continue eating McDonald’s, and McDonald’s will continue to catch the attention of our kids to ensure they want to eat the unhealthy food.
    Toothpicks - about three deaths a year.

You asked, I answered.
    Havok and OldVet like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Toothpicks - about three deaths a year.

You asked, I answered.
    Im actually surprised that number isn't higher.

VIP Member
    Ive heard of people smoking cigarettes dipped in embalming fluid as well.
    Left handed and right handed.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar

New movie quote.
    I smell dead people
    deadguy, msgt/ret and OldChap like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Washington didn't ban vaping. They banned flavors for vaping. You can still vape, it just won't taste like cotton candy.

That post makes no sense medically. I have patients who smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years and have no semblance of emphysema, and people who smoked half a pack for 10 years who are approaching respiratory failure. Just because you appear to have tolerated one insult, doesn't mean you won't be on a ventilator after one vape session that doesn't agree with your lung physiology. Also, you'd be surprised how much actual long disease people have sometimes before they notice that anything is wrong.
    OldChap likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links