Vaping

Vaping

This is a discussion on Vaping within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Listening on the news how WA has banned vaping. Amazing. All these states jumping on the anti-vaping bandwagon yet they all still sell cigarettes. I'm ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Vaping

Vaping

Listening on the news how WA has banned vaping. Amazing. All these states jumping on the anti-vaping bandwagon yet they all still sell cigarettes.

I'm so glad our governments are protecting me from my personal stupidity.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

There was a saying for years during the campaigns against smoking that if tobacco were a previously unknown commodity that were newly introduced today, the FDA would never allow it. But now they approve vaping, which may be as harmful, or even more harmful. The vapors contain tinnier particles that can get nicotine more deeply in the lungs.

The company that really got vaping off the ground, Juul, claims they did it to provide a healthier alternative to smoking, but that seems like BS and they clearly started marketing to children. Now vape units are literally blowing up and burning people's faces.

It affects all of us in higher insurance costs and second hand smoke and vape (yes, second hand vape is a thing, and dangerous). I think people should be able to do what they want, but the FDA has a responsibility to make sure consumable products are safe. Both tobacco and vape are not, so they are not doing their job. These big companies are paying off the government and that is not a good thing either.

Stupidity cannot be eliminated. However, it should not be encouraged, either.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    From the reports I have read it looks like most of the cases are from vapers using black market and THC products in their vapers.
    Things that it was never designed to do.
    Put crap into your lungs and this is the outcome.
    People truly are stupid.

I'm a pulmonologist.

I think it's stupid to ban vaping after a dozen deaths, when 1000 people die of smoking every day and we think that's legal. I'd rather people didn't smoke and get sick and die, but it's not up to me to force them to do or not do something with their bodies, as long as it only harms them and no one else. It's a stupid decision, but life is full of such. What happened to "my body, my choice"? However, marketing it as a "safer" alternative to smoking is rather deceptive, and I do find the increasing prevalence of e-cigs among children very disturbing. We don't really know if it is a safer alternative to smoking because it hasn't been out there long enough to decide what long-term damage it will cause. Furthermore, it is well-documented that e-cig smoke is full of volatile organics, nebulized lipid, and microplastics. There is really no way that mix is going to be safe.
    Now that I've taken care of a few young people with respiratory failure in the ICU from vaping-related lung disease, I surely won't be recommending it as a smoking cessation method to any of my patients.

Cigarettes kill slowly and terribly. Vaping, when it does, kills very, very quickly.

A family I know contacted me about their 22 year old, formerly very healthy, son who was found unconscious, not breathing, and foaming at the mouth. The ER team could find nothing in his blood work - no sign of drugs and a very minor amount of alcohol. They managed to get his heart beating again, but he could not breathe on his own and had to be put on a ventilator. A brain scan showed no activity. He died about 10 days later. The police investigation turned up that he had decided to try vaping for the first time. They have not received the results of the autopsy yet, but I'm sure they'll find out what killed him.

I thought I saw a report a couple of days ago from the CDC that said vaping was now killing more people every day than opioids - presumably because of the wide-spread deployment of NARCAN to first responders.
    DZUS and OldVet like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I was driving behind a car with the driver vaping yesterday. His moon roof was tilted up. There was enormous volumes of smoke coming out and it smelled funny. I had thoughts of the western movies with the smoke belching train engines from the 1800s.
    OldChap and sdprof like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Vaping

So, repeatedly sucking hot toxic chemicals into your lungs seems like a good idea to you?

Please don't bother to reproduce.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    Sad that our children are exposed to this crap......temptations can be difficult to resist....even to the kids with great parents....
    OldChap and DZUS like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.Ē - Joe Lewis

ďIím not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a Ďlittleí dirty.....Ē

Member: GOA, SAF

Congrats to our government for creating a more dangerous black market.

Whatís interesting to me is that kids who started out vaping are starting to smoke as an alternative to vaping.

As for the number of deaths, thatís like talking about the gun violence epidemic. Itís really a non story.
    OldChap, Risasi and matthew03 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Congrats to our government for creating a more dangerous black market.

Whatís interesting to me is that kids who started out vaping are starting to smoke as an alternative to vaping.

As for the number of deaths, thatís like talking about the gun violence epidemic. Itís really a non story.
    I agree it is a non story - IF you don't have children exposed to these things and the dangerous lie that it is somehow safer than cigarettes.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Lets see, electronic devices made in China, that produce intense heat, placed inside a persons mouth, inhaling questionable toxic substances, what could possibly go wrong! Almost as a good an idea as the magnesium crack pipe!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I agree it is a non story - IF you don't have children exposed to these things and the dangerous lie that it is somehow safer than cigarettes.
    23 people have died in the US from vaping. Other than Ebola, what can you think of that has caused less deaths in the US? Iím not saying I think vaping is a good idea, but from what I understand, the big problem is the black market that is being created, where more unknown chemicals are being put in.

I just think itís interesting that we will talk about how few people are murdered with rifles, but something that causes only a small fraction of the deaths is some major epidemic that needs to be addressed. Meanwhile, people will continue eating McDonaldís, and McDonaldís will continue to catch the attention of our kids to ensure they want to eat the unhealthy food.
    We get the government we deserve.

flh
    Darwinism , cleansing the gene pool ...
    OneGunTX likes this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    My wife and I have spent the last 25 years talking to our two sons about life.
    Making good choices and the dangers of smoking and drugs and using alcohol responsibly.
    So far the time and effort we put in has payed us back.
    You think that they don't listen, but they do. Most of them anyway.
    I think that there are way too many parents just phoning it in. No hands on parenting anymore.
    The first 25 years I was their father, not their buddy.
    Now I get to be both.

I used e-cigarettes many years ago to quit smoking, that was many years long before the Juul and the current vaping craze. The e-cigs I used just contained nicotine and none of the juices, flavors, THC or black market stuff they try nowadays.
    OldVet and svgheartland like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links