Turkish firearm imports and US sanctions

This is a discussion on Turkish firearm imports and US sanctions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Was just wondering if the fact that Turkey has invaded Syria will create sanctions against them that will affect their import guns such as Tisas ...

Like Tree33Likes
  • 1 Post By G-man*
  • 6 Post By 1942bull
  • 2 Post By G-man*
  • 3 Post By 1942bull
  • 6 Post By MMinSC
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By alabamaguy
  • 6 Post By Struckat
  • 2 Post By MMinSC
  • 1 Post By darbo
  • 1 Post By MMinSC
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Turkish firearm imports and US sanctions

Was just wondering if the fact that Turkey has invaded Syria will create sanctions against them that will affect their import guns such as Tisas and many others?

Might be something to think about if anyone is wanting to pick up one of their High Power clones or shotguns.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    I would not buy one of their guns in any case. I have no good feelings about the Turks under Erdogan. I will not give the my money.
    Last edited by 1942bull; October 12th, 2019 at 09:48 AM.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I would not buy one of their guns in ant case. I have no good feelings about the Turks under Erdogan. I will not give the my money.
    Understand. But the point was, that there has been a lot of interest in their BHP clone, and there are people who don’t care about the politics, which is really those people that were in mind when the thread was started.
    1942bull and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Understand. But the point was, that there has been a lot of interest in their BHP clone, and there are people who don’t care about the politics, which is really those people that were in mind when the thread was started.
    Indeed, I hear you. My negative feelings go the best of me. Oh, being human is a challenge.
    Struckat, M1911A1 and G-man* like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Nice shotguns in Turkey. The Greeks on the ship I worked on always went gun shopping when we were in Istanbul. If I couldn't buy any Turkish firearms do to sanctions, I could live with that. Not really sure there will be sanctions though. Right now, the Turks are fighting what they claim are Kurds affiliated with the Turkish Kurds that are PPK. IF that is the case, I can understand why Turkey is doing that. The PPK is a Marxist terrorist organization that has fought a very bloody war in eastern Turkey for decades. The Turkish argument is that America has been sided with the Syrian Kurds that are affiliated with that Marxist terrorist organization. If that is true, I can understand why they are making their military incursions. BUT, current Turkey is not the pre-Erdogan Turkey that I lived in. Then again, after the lies we were told during the Obama years and the illegal activities of the FBI/CIA lately, I can't trust them either. Remember the Obama times when John McCain wanted us to support the terrorists in Syria? Not long after that we ended up with ISIS. Can't tell who is telling the truth.

So it is hard to say. Probably fine for Turkish imports. I guess if you have to have one, might as well do it now since they won't exactly break your budget. Hard to see sanctions on a NATO ally.
    msgt/ret, M1911A1, G-man* and 3 others like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I would think there are enough in distributor’s inventories to keep people happy for a while, I think any sanctions would involve raw materials and finished products going from us to Turkey. But until full details are known it’s hard to speculate.
    OD*, G-man* and MMinSC like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I have a Mossberg SA-20 Semi-Auto 20ga shotgun which is Turkey manufactured. A very affordable home defense and fun all around gun. It's the 2nd one I've owned.

When it comes to guns, I don't let politics enter into what I buy. But I respect those who do.
    OD* likes this.
    Gun Toting Fire Breathing Liberal

I have always wanted the SA-20, but internal sanctions have always prevented such a purchase.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    I have always wanted the SA-20, but internal sanctions have always prevented such a purchase.
    LOL. Yeah, internal sanctions are brutal. Often arbitrary and there is no international governing body to appeal to for help.
    OD* and Rockymonster like this.

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    You can add this to the story. Admittedly I didn't read the article, just the headline. But apparently Turkish forces bomb American special forces "by mistake".

https://news.yahoo.com/turkey-bombs-...200210098.html
    MMinSC likes this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I've got a Sarsilmaz CZ75 clone. It's a great pistol and a lot of fun to shoot, but I won't cry over any sanctions. I've got no plans to buy another one.

VIP Member
    You think Turkish firearms would be top on the list of sanctioned items?
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    You can add this to the story. Admittedly I didn't read the article, just the headline. But apparently Turkish forces bomb American special forces "by mistake".

https://news.yahoo.com/turkey-bombs-...200210098.html
    I read it and a couple of others. AFAIK, no Americans were hurt and they didn't bomb our position specifically. So not quite as bad as the headlines seem, I hope. If as the Turks claim, they are attacking the PPK affiliated Kurds, I can understand that. It is a Marxist terrorist group and if they are going back and forth between the border, there is a reason to attack them. They also claim to be establishing an area in Syria to dump all the Syrian refugees they have collected. That makes sense too. But, with the current leadership they have, we cannot trust anything. So if the articles are correct, it looks like no need for sanctions. When I lived in Turkey it was a different place and I felt I understood fairly well. Now, dunno.

When was the last time we imposed sanctions on a NATO ally where we also have a military base? That right there leads me to believe that gun imports are okay.
    darbo likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Not an armed good guy vs bad guy story - moved.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links