ATF ruling that a receiver is treated like a firearm is now in jeopardy

This is a discussion on ATF ruling that a receiver is treated like a firearm is now in jeopardy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am oversimplifying this, but you have to read the article to get the gist of it. The ATF was investigating a man who ran ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 4 Post By WC145
  • 3 Post By OldChap
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 2 Post By MMinSC
  • 5 Post By Rockymonster
  • 2 Post By dangerranger
  • 1 Post By MMinSC

Thread: ATF ruling that a receiver is treated like a firearm is now in jeopardy

Distinguished Member

I am oversimplifying this, but you have to read the article to get the gist of it. The ATF was investigating a man who ran a business helping people make their own assault rifles. The case hinged on the fact that the receivers had no serial numbers. The man being investigated got a judge to declare that a receiver was not a firearm bd as such did not come under ATF jurisdiction. As a result ATF dropped the case rather than risk a decision that would negate its ruling about receivers. The man who helped numerous people build rifles for $1000 each got off. You have to read the story and watch the video to get the whole picture. Bottom line is that the matter seem to be an open Pandorra's Box.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/us/ar...nvs/index.html
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

The ATF will simply state the AR upper receiver is now classified as a firearm and require it to be serialized. I would imagine a new "80% upper receiver" market will emerge.
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    One to watch.....
    OldChap likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

He was using 80% receivers, they aren't serialized and they aren't firearms, never have been. The same goes for 80% 1911 and Glock style frames. You can buy as many as you want and you can resell them as long a they haven't been completed. If he was "helping" people to finish their receivers and build their own rifles by directing them but they're doing the work the guns still don't require a serial number unless the owner is going to transfer it to someone else.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

@WC145 Exactly...80% receivers which require machining to complete. The 80% receiver CANNOT EVER be just "assembled" in order to make a functional firearm. It MUST be further machined and therefore qualifies as a gun built by an individual, rather than the factory that cast or forged the receiver to begin with.

The part, which surrounds the trigger area of an AR-15, requires some additional machining and drilling before it is considered a regulated firearm under the law.

EDIT - I should have added...The ATF has been on very thin ice for some time with some of their "bureaucratic edicts" being interpreted (by them) as "law." The Constitution clearly sets forth what is law, and the ATF has, for a long time, been on the side of unconstitutional. They just got caught with their fingers in the cookie jar. Now that lawyers know where to hit them to cause the most damage, I expect they will have to run crying to Congress for an actual law.
    CavemanBob, airslot and WC145 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member
    Well, thank you for the education. Everyday you learn something new isa good day.
    OldChap likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

The "undercover" video shows the man did nothing wrong. 80% receivers must be completed by the person that will build/own the rifle. The customers that purchased unfinished receivers were clearly the ones doing the work- they pushed the button, hence operated the machinery that turned an 80% receiver into a full fledged receiver that is then a firearm. The rest is just assembling a legal firearm into a functioning firearm. Having the business owner there to assist/guide is no problem.

Waste of time by the ATF. I guess the owner got some money from the ATF undercover agents, so that is kinda cool.
    OldChap and WC145 like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    There was a case a couple years back of an individual reselling 80% AR lowers.
    He also has a CNC machine in his garage.
    But a paperweight from him, he shows you how to load it in the CNC, turn it on, click the menu, and push start. He touched nothing after the sale.
    He had a donation jar (ut oh).
    ATF told him to stop, and so would they.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @WC145 Exactly...80% receivers which require machining to complete. The 80% receiver CANNOT EVER be just "assembled" in order to make a functional firearm. It MUST be further machined and therefore qualifies as a gun built by an individual, rather than the factory that cast or forged the receiver to begin with.

EDIT - I should have added...The ATF has been on very thin ice for some time with some of their "bureaucratic edicts" being interpreted (by them) as "law." The Constitution clearly sets forth what is law, and the ATF has, for a long time, been on the side of unconstitutional. They just got caught with their fingers in the cookie jar. Now that lawyers know where to hit them to cause the most damage, I expect they will have to run crying to Congress for an actual law.
    And frankly....this is just the tip of the iceberg IMHO.... A lot of ATF rulings are bogus.
    msgt/ret, OldChap, OldVet and 2 others like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

IIRC, and I may be wrong about this, the ATF ruled a couple of years ago that a person cannot assist someone else in building a gun from an 80% reciever for any kind of financial, or in kind, remuneration. I am not sure if that happened in this case, but I just thought I throw that out there for comment.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    IIRC, and I may be wrong about this, the ATF ruled a couple of years ago that a person cannot assist someone else in building a gun from an 80% reciever for any kind of financial, or in kind, remuneration. I am not sure if that happened in this case, but I just thought I throw that out there for comment.
    I remember this event, there was a local machine shop which had such an operation going and was widely advertising it. They had to desist that business.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

The problem a few years back was that the machine shop was building receivers for a fee. They did not want anyone touching their CNC machine! DR
    MMinSC and WC145 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The problem a few years back was that the machine shop was building receivers for a fee. They did not want anyone touching their CNC machine! DR
    I am pretty sure I remember it that way. You have to complete the receiver yourself, even if that means just pressing the button on a CNC machine. You need to put the 80% receiver in the machine, press the button and take it out. Then, you have built it yourself.
    WC145 likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Sponsored Links