Is this really benefiting society- 93 yr old on trial for being 17 yr old SS guard?

Is this really benefiting society- 93 yr old on trial for being 17 yr old SS guard?

This is a discussion on Is this really benefiting society- 93 yr old on trial for being 17 yr old SS guard? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What is this accomplishing? https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-50074422 The prosecution alleges that Mr Dey - who was about 17 when posted to Stutthof - was one of the ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree396Likes

Thread: Is this really benefiting society- 93 yr old on trial for being 17 yr old SS guard?

What is this accomplishing?

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-50074422

The prosecution alleges that Mr Dey - who was about 17 when posted to Stutthof - was one of the "cogs of the murder machine".
    I am strongly supportive of the efforts to track down concentration camp monsters in the post war era, but this seems a bit over the top. He wasn't even identified as being one of "them" until some of his SS uniform gear was "discovered" and then his signature matched to a record book from the camp.

Your thoughts?
    Blazin9 likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Today, people are questioning again whether or not the holocaust actually happened.
    These trials do serve a purpose in reminding people what did happen.
    The Nazis were monsters. I do not give a pass to those who say they were just following orders.

Maybe it just helps to assuage German guilt??

Distinguished Member
    Most conscripts in the German Army were not assigned to the camps. Being placed there usually indicated some level of "reliability" perceived by the Nazi party.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

As long as they are still breathing, they need to be hunted down and tried. 6,000,000+ souls demand it.

+1 on what Kilted Cowboy said. No statute of limitations on murder, no age limit on criminals. If my friends and family members were amongst those mercilessly and callously killed, I wouldn’t want to give the guy a pass on this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Supports the "You can run but you can't hide--forever" concept. However, sentencing him to life would hardly be an effective deterrent at this point.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

flh
    I have no simply for this man , but what does putting him on trial it accomplish , satisfaction for victims families ? I'm sure it does to a point.

Who now is going to be victimized , Mr. Dey's family etc.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post

I am strongly supportive of the efforts to track down concentration camp monsters in the post war era, but this seems a bit over the top. He wasn't even identified as being one of "them" until some of his SS uniform gear was "discovered" and then his signature matched to a record book from the camp.

Your thoughts?
    Karma...

It has a long memory and a long reach.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post

Your thoughts?
    There are two completely distinct arguments in your post:
    1. That it's irrelevant to punish someone who took part in torture, murder, and ethnic cleansing because X amount of time has passed.
    - I strongly disagree. There is no statute of limitations for what happened there, even if 1000 years have passed. Most of the non-combatants in my family perished in the Holocaust (women, children, elderly), while the men fought in the war. If I could know for sure that someone participated in these atrocities, I'd have no problem going up to them, putting a bullet in the back of their head, and going home to sleep well.

2. That it's hard to prove participation in a crime that took place many decades ago
    - That may be right or wrong, depending on evidence presented. That's why there's a trial.

He will get no sympathy from me.
    We get the government we deserve.

He most certainly gets no sympathy but the question asked was : Is anything accomplished by putting this 93 year old on trial now? I suppose there is in terms of symbolic justice for his victim's families and some overall satisfaction. Other than that I'm not sure. I have mixed feelings.
    Risasi and Rock and Glock like this.

I have no sympathy for him. He will be judged by his maker soon enough, and it probably won't be pretty.

There were 1000's of lower rank SS just like him who were low on the priority list, especially when individuals like Eichmann or Mengele were still on the loose.

To me, this seems like the Nazi hunters are scrapping the bottom of the barrel just to stay relevant in the last few years that Nazi hunting is even possible.
    Risasi, Hasaf and Blazin9 like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

VIP Member
    It is a message that the perpatrators of atrocities will never stop being hunted, caught, tried, and punished. I did something at 17 that affects my life today at 77. It will continue to do that even if I live to the perps age of 93. Fortunately, I did a good thing.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

He’s lucky that he reached that advanced age without previous consequences.
    msgt/ret, OldChap, Risasi and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links