would you act? - Page 2

would you act?

This is a discussion on would you act? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; would you act? to put him to sleep without tucking him in....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: would you act?

would you act?

to put him to sleep without tucking him in.

I usually surprise myself.
    bullet183, airslot and scottync like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    3) The perp continues the assault in which case I close distance and put a bullet in his shoulder.
    You do know that deliberately shooting to wound is going to cause you some serious legal difficulties right?

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You do know that deliberately shooting to wound is going to cause you some serious legal difficulties right?
    That/is debatable. When I say “I chose to not kill him in ending his violent attack does” will that make me seen as a person who intended to kill?

You'd only be legally justified to shoot to stop the imminent grave bodily harm or death imminent threat to the guard, shooting him in the shoulder would likely stop the attack.

Just don't announce you shot him where he was shot on purpose. YOU shot to stop grave bodily harm or death/imminent threat to the guard. If it's legal to shoot the turd, I'm not too concerned where he ends up being shot.

It's the discharge of the firearm one has to defend, not where they shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    That/is debatable. When I say “I chose to not kill him in ending his violent attack does” will that make me seen as a person who intended to kill?
    Not debatable at all. If you shoot someone you have employed deadly force and you're going to have to justify doing that. If you deliberately shoot to wound you have demonstrated that you didn't really think deadly force was necessary.
    jmf552, Hoganbeg and duane_wade like this.

I bet if you rammed old boy with a shopping cart you'd get his attention.

When all you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail

They caught the little POS. My guess is that it isn't his first time encountering law enforcement.

https://kdvr.com/2019/10/16/suspect-...-king-soopers/
    flh likes this.

Not debatable at all. If you shoot someone you have employed deadly force and you're going to have to justify doing that. If you deliberately shoot to wound you have demonstrated that you didn't really think deadly force was necessary.
    That's how it was taught to me in the SD law classes I took. If you do shoot to wound, as @AzQkr said, you should not say so to police. I wouldn't choose to shoot to wound, but if I did, I would say I shot COM and I hit what I hit.

Two reasons I would not shoot to wound. 1) A shot to a non-target area may not be effective. Multiple COM and even CNS hits have failed to be effective in actual encounters. If I want to stop someone with a gun, I am going for the most damaging targets I can hit. 2) An arm is easy to miss or over-penetrate, leaving a round flying who knows where. I not only want to stop the threat, I want the threat to stop the bullet.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I bet if you rammed old boy with a shopping cart you'd get his attention.

When all you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail
    I'm not going hands on with this POS and take the chance of getting my head caved in unless there is no other option.

Getting his attention creates a problem that I have no desire to deal with. That is all hitting him with a shopping cart is going to do. Now a 2 1/2 pound chunk of stainless steel applied judiciously might be considered if the opportunity presented itself.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I'm not going hands on with this POS and take the chance of getting my head caved in unless there is no other option.

Getting his attention creates a problem that I have no desire to deal with. That is all hitting him with a shopping cart is going to do. Now a 2 1/2 pound chunk of stainless steel applied judiciously might be considered if the opportunity presented itself.
    Doesn't that depend on how hard you hit him with the shopping cart?

That said, the point I'm trying to make is that not every problem requires a gun to solve.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    I am sure they were extra careful putting that turd in the car when they caught him.

I couldn't stand by and watch anyone get beat down like that. Once the guy is down...leave him be.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Would you act?

Yes I would. I would come up from behind him, and put my size 12 boot up his butt.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Doesn't that depend on how hard you hit him with the shopping cart?

That said, the point I'm trying to make is that not every problem requires a gun to solve.
    Did I say anything about a firearm?

I've got some experience with violence. Consider the level of violence precipitated by being confronted for shoplifting.
    Now consider what might be the reaction to being hit with a shopping cart.

No, I don't want his attention.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret and duane_wade like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Did I say anything about a firearm?

I've got some experience with violence. Consider the level of violence precipitated by being confronted for shoplifting.
    Now consider what might be the reaction to being hit with a shopping cart.

No, I don't want his attention.
    I've got some experience with violence too.

The guard probably works for the same company I do, they just bought the company Walmart contracts with for security. I have a pretty good idea what he makes and I wouldn't have made any attempt to detain the shoplifter (which is against WM policy anyway) for that kind of money.

I don't even know that I would have intervened beyond calling the police and I'm not sure that hitting him with the shopping cart would have been effective but it's a hell of a lot better idea than deliberately shooting to wound

ETA There is one point that I want to express absolute agreement with you on and that's the fact that if you get into it with this guy you're in it and you need to be prepared for that
    OneGunTX and duane_wade like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links