would you act? - Page 3

would you act?

This is a discussion on would you act? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep I would have to act with whatever would work....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: would you act?

Yep I would have to act with whatever would work.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    Wonder what the qualifications for a security guard at King Soopers are?
    Have a pulse, pass a drug test
    M1911A1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    Stomping on someone's face is grave threat of death and bodily harm. You'd be justified to shoot him in any state.
    I'm beginning to wonder about that. I see more stories now of perps families taking the victim to court. Get the wrong judge or jury.....ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder about that. I see more stories now of perps families taking the victim to court. Get the wrong judge or jury.....ugh.
    And even if charges are dropped, or the good guy is found not guilty in criminal court, sometimes a civil court awards huge judgements to the bad guys. It's a screwed up world we live in.

I would have to do something I couldn't just stand there and do nothing! wouldn't go to the gun right away but would try to get behind him and start giveing LOVE TAPS with my 1 1/8'' hickery cain starting with taking a knee out and working my way up as needed!!

I mentioned up thread that I was pretty sure that the guard in this incident worked for the same company I do.

I came to work tonight (10/21/2019) and there's a new use-of-force policy directive that's been handed out to all employees. it says we are prohibited from physical arrest, detention or engagement of any person except as necessary to avoid death or serious bodily injury to security personnel or others.

we are prohibited to pursue any person under any circumstances except for when failure to pursue or detain is likely to cause death or serious injury to security personnel or others.

and vehicle pursuits are prohibited no matter the circumstances.

this is speculation on my part but given that the very last paragraph of the directive says

"If you believe that your client is setting an expectation that is contrary to this policy, please notify your account supervision; if you believe your account supervision is setting an expectation that is contrary to this policy It needs to be reported to corporate."

So I'm guessing that guard was told to chase shoplifters and it backfired big-time
    TSKnight likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Unarmed Private Security general policy is "Observe and Report" and has been for as long as I have done security (1982-2006).
    Good to see your company reinforcing that standard, as it may be your life that policy saves.

Armed security is a completely different animal whose ROE can run from observe and report to full powers of arrest depending on the contract and the laws in force.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Unarmed Private Security general policy is "Observe and Report" and has been for as long as I have done security (1982-2006).
    Good to see your company reinforcing that standard, as it may be your life that policy saves.
    Ain't gonna save my life, they don't pay me enough to try to arrest anybody and this directive didn't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Armed security is a completely different animal whose ROE can run from observe and report to full powers of arrest depending on the contract and the laws in force.
    I did armed security for the City of Colorado Springs for 8 years. The only folks around here who have "full powers of arrest" are post certified LE. The directive I referenced is company wide, it applies to everyone armed or not.

Could you look at yourself in the mirror every morning if your choice was to do nothing? And in my case, could you look your grandson in eyes when he needs guidance on standing up for himself or his family?

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Could you look at yourself in the mirror every morning if your choice was to do nothing? And in my case, could you look your grandson in eyes when he needs guidance on standing up for himself or his family?
    There's a wide spectrum of possible responses. As another poster mentioned if you get involved with someone like the attacker you are involved and you'd better be prepared for that. I'd certainly call the cops, everything after that is "It depends".

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    There's a wide spectrum of possible responses. As another poster mentioned if you get involved with someone like the attacker you are involved and you'd better be prepared for that. I'd certainly call the cops, everything after that is "It depends".
    “He did not have to brutally assault the security officer over some groceries," said Crystal McCoy, Aurora Police Department spokesperson. "This assault was so bad at one point, he kicked the security officer in the face, leaving the suspect’s shoe print on his face and if it weren’t for someone stepping in and doing the right thing, the assault would’ve continued, who knows what the security officers condition would be today.

Sure, there is a wide variety of responses available. Know your state laws. In NC, I'm not prepared to watch someone get kicked to death in front of me and not intervene.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links