would you act?

would you act?

This is a discussion on would you act? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There's a video along with this story of a brutal attack on a security guard at a grocery store when he attempted to stop a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: would you act?

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

would you act?

There's a video along with this story of a brutal attack on a security guard at a grocery store when he attempted to stop a shoplifter. A good samaritin intervened, perhaps saving the life of the guard.

Would you act and if so, how would you react?

https://kdvr.com/2019/10/14/brutal-a...ntify-suspect/
    SAXDM9 likes this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

flh
    Would I have reacted ....absolutely....

What would I have done , I can not say other than , doing my best to keep the pos there until the officers arrived .
    gasmitty and Sister like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Considering my age and physical condition my best course of action would be to call 911 and be a good witness.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member
    Would you act and if so, how would you react?
    I would have take action. Accordingly I would have down my pistol, aimed it at him, and ordered him to disengage and get on his face on the ground. I assume one of three things would have resulted. 1) The perp runs in which case I treat the victim. 2) The perp comes at me in which case he gets shot center mass. 3) The perp continues the assault in which case I close distance and put a bullet in his shoulder. Of course I would call 911 once the action had been taken. Then, with the police on the way or on the scene I would call the 800 number for CCW Safe to speak with the lawyer on call that day at that time.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

In my state, you would be fully justified to shoot the attacker.
    OldChap and airslot like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Stomping on someone's face is grave threat of death and bodily harm. You'd be justified to shoot him in any state.

Yeah, I could let that go on.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Whether I shoot or not would depend...but I can say with some authority that carrying an all steel 1911 might have some unexpected benefits:

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I would intervene. although I probably would not go to the gun. I would blindside the perp with a disabling strike or pepper spray. I would not give him the chance to surrender, run or square off against me.

I worked retail security in my 20's and was in this same situation multiple times. I have to question the competence of that guard. We had a lot of people fight and fight hard, but neither I, nor my colleagues wound up on the bottom taking a beat down. When we followed a perp outside, we were always ready for a fight and on the offensive. We carried leather saps in our right rear pockets or SOB. We approached with the left arm out in a "stop" signal, to block, and the right hand on the sap. Whatever came at us got cracked with that sap, be it an arm, leg or face. The sap didn't stop swinging until the perp was surrendering. It could be devastating, but I never saw a perp have to go to the ER as a result. If we had wound up on the ground, then the gun would come out, but that never happened.

I'm surprised saps have gone out of favor. They were darn effective and only did permanent damage if you wanted to use them that way.
    viney266, gasmitty and airslot like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    Stomping on someone's face is grave threat of death and bodily harm. You'd be justified to shoot him in any state.
    So is punching someone in the face and by so doing, knocking them down where they can continue to be beaten.
    airslot likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Whether I shoot or not would depend...but I can say with some authority that carrying an all steel 1911 might have some unexpected benefits:

That is one of my all-time favorite movie scenes!
    OldChap and airslot like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Perhaps I should mention that those of us here in Texas may now carry these little beauties for such situations:

would you act?-asp-21-sentry-baton-asp-52400-asp-9f1.jpg

It goes without saying that avoiding death or serious injury from misapplication requires some instruction.
    ETXhiker, viney266 and airslot like this.

Yes I would go with my can of spray and with offensive boots at the ready.

@OldChap , We can’t carry any concealed weapon other than a handgun in NC, afaik. Brings up funny recollection from Moosejaw Saskatchewa - Mrs Sax and I were talking to the young lady cutting our hair. Somehow mentioned small tear gas dispensers for bicyclists, runners, or on ladies’ keychains. Nope, she’s neither seen nor heard of ‘em. Not legal in Canada, not found there.
    OldChap and Hoganbeg like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    Yes I would go with my can of spray and with offensive boots at the ready.

@OldChap , We can’t carry any concealed weapon other than a handgun in NC, afaik. Brings up funny recollection from Moosejaw Saskatchewa - Mrs Sax and I were talking to the young lady cutting our hair. Somehow mentioned small tear gas dispensers for bicyclists, runners, or on ladies’ keychains. Nope, she’s neither seen nor heard of ‘em. Not legal in Canada, not found there.
    I'm glad Texas is ridding itself of some archaic laws (1860's IIRC - might be wrong). Our handgun restrictions came about right after the Civil War when we had such a problem with outlaws. Thankfully saner heads are prevailing now.
    SAXDM9 and ETXhiker like this.

Wonder what the qualifications for a security guard at King Soopers are? You would suppose some degree of self defense training would be appropriate. Having said that I could not idly stand by and watch an attack such as this without intervening.
    viney266 and airslot like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links