Colorado violent crime rate up 46% since legalzing MJ

This is a discussion on Colorado violent crime rate up 46% since legalzing MJ within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Colorado has become a more violent place since legalizing weed in 2013 according to FBI statistics. The data provides no information or analysis as to ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Colorado violent crime rate up 46% since legalzing MJ

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

Colorado has become a more violent place since legalizing weed in 2013 according to FBI statistics. The data provides no information or analysis as to why this may be the case, my own opinion is that the MJ has attracted scumbags from across the country to Colorado. Our population has increased 11% since legalization.

https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud...colorado/crime
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

VIP Member
    Haven't you also had more restrictions on gun carrying?
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    I've been told legalized pot is expensive. Perhaps users have had to turn to lives of crime in order to maintain their previously illegal lifestyles.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Ah! Colorado has finally turned the curve upward enough to be in the mainstream of violence and mayhem in North America.

It was getting a little boring living here with violent crime below national averages for so many years.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Ah! Colorado has finally turned the curve upward enough to be in the mainstream of violence and mayhem in North America.

It was getting a little boring living here with violent crime below national averages for so many years.
    Now, maybe y'all can get the homeless rate up and the defecating in the street rate up...let the real Cali influence take root.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Haven't you also had more restrictions on gun carrying?
    No real increased restrilctions for carrying. The state has enacted the brain-dead 15 round mag limit and the new red-flag laws go into effect Jan 1.

NRA Patron member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I've been told legalized pot is expensive. Perhaps users have had to turn to lives of crime in order to maintain their previously illegal lifestyles.
    I don't know but I've heard that black market weed is commonplace despite what the politicians claimed would happen once legalized. (What, they lied again?) I don't think we're going to be able to criminalize it again, the politicians are addicted to the tax revenue. I think the best I can hope for is that the rest of the states will legalize and a significant population of the scumbags will emigrate.

NRA Patron member

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post

Yeah, ain't it great! I'm a bit puzzled by the auto theft statistics, we're well above the national average. Carjacking seems to be all the rage as well. I hear they perps are getting up to $1K per car.

NRA Patron member

I'm sure more than a few states are watching the long-term effects legalized pot has on states that allow it. Rising crime rates are not a positive direction.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm sure more than a few states are watching the long-term effects legalized pot has on states that allow it. Rising crime rates are not a positive direction.
    But what are they paying more attention to, the crime rate or the tax revenue?

NRA Patron member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    Colorado has become a more violent place since legalizing weed in 2013 according to FBI statistics. The data provides no information or analysis as to why this may be the case, my own opinion is that the MJ has attracted scumbags from across the country to Colorado. Our population has increased 11% since legalization.

https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud...colorado/crime

I think your comment is exactly right. The legal MJ is a scumbag magnet. If there is another explanation for such a steep increase in crimeI would like to hear it.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    But what are they paying more attention to, the crime rate or the tax revenue?
    Both probably. A 46% increase in violent crimes, if legitimately linked to lawful drugs, hardly gives credence to the push to legalize drugs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

With more states legalizing, hopefully that curve will level off or decrease, but I won't count on it.

The number of individuals I see on the street who have pure contempt for society has increased dramatically since "legal weed".

We are somewhat insulated by the location of the family property, but the people in town are knee deep in scum bags.
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; October 22nd, 2019 at 10:04 AM.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Up here in Washington, legal pot is heavily taxed.
    There's no good reason to do that, except a need for more and more government income, or a feeling that there should be a "sin tax."
    The result is that illegal weed is much cheaper. So, where it's available, people tend to buy street grass. (Not on this island, BTW.)

Economics 101 says that, given the choice, and given similar quality, people will always buy the cheaper product.
    Once it has been bought, it's probably difficult to discern whether a given stash is of the legal stuff or the illegal.
    So somehow the heavy taxation seems somewhat counter-productive.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Most of the people that are smoking weed in Colorado aren't buying the legal weed. There are also a bunch of people that are connected to the cartels that have moved into Colorado to grow weed here for export out of state

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links