Oh No end of an era, can opener being raised.

This is a discussion on Oh No end of an era, can opener being raised. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This bridge is so famous it has its own website "11foot8", this bridge has proven numerous times 13' 6" will not fit under 11' 8". ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Oh No end of an era, can opener being raised.

This bridge is so famous it has its own website "11foot8", this bridge has proven numerous times 13' 6" will not fit under 11' 8".

End of an era: Crews to raise Durham’s famous ‘can opener’ bridge

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – A famous Durham bridge known for ripping the tops off of trucks – a bridge that even has its own website – will be getting raised up this week, Durham transportation officials said.times

The North Carolina Railroad Overpass at Gregson Street, also known as the “can opener” or the “11 foot 8 bridge,” will be getting raised up with construction beginning on Wednesday and running through at least Nov. 5.

The construction will end an era of drivers not paying attention to signs and flashing lights warning them of the bridge’s height and then having the top of their truck torn off.
    https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...opener-bridge/

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    How much will it cost to make this bridge idiot-proof? Need to send the bill to the idiots.
    darbo, M1911A1 and BamaT like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    Perhaps drivers with trucks/trailers over here 11’8” should actually read the sign!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    NRA Life Member

They have one in downtown Spokane, WA, that is notorious for the same thing. It's a concrete railroad bridge and will not budge.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Number 6 on the countdown video is so clean and elegant.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    This bridge is so famous it has its own website "11foot8", this bridge has proven numerous times 13' 6" will not fit under 11' 8".

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...opener-bridge/

They are only raising the bridge to 12'4".

Do they really think raising the bridge 8" is going to make a lot of difference.

Those 13'6" trucks will just lose a little less roof.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    We have one in Atlanta, it's a CSX Railroad Bridge built in 1911.

BamaT and Rock and Glock like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Oh No end of an era, can opener being raised.-maxresdefault.jpg
    TSKnight likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    In England in my younger days, a double-decker bus got stuck! They had engineers galore measuring to see if they could slice a portion of the roof off.
    A truck driver watching, let the air out of the tires, backed it out! Fixed.

There are a multiple technologies available to warn drivers about being overheight. I think the best and most cost effective ones is a plastic pipe at the bridge height, held up by chains at the height of the bridge, placed at a distance from the bridge. If the truck is overheight, it will hit the pipe before it hits the bridge. It will make a big noise, but it won't hurt the pipe or the truck. There are also a lot of high tech solutions out there. Any of those solutions would be cheaper than raising a bridge.

But you can't fix stupid. One time I left Falls Church, VA, in plenty of time to catch a flight at BWI. I was on the west side of the Beltway going north and got in the worst traffic jam I have been in my whole life. I mean, nothing moved, at all, for over an hour. Turns out a VA DOT employee had been driving a full-size dump truck with the bed up. It hit an overpass, sheared the bed off and sent hydraulic fluid all over the Beltway. I looked and there was nothing in the news indicating the employee was ever suspended or fired and I will bet he was not.
    Rock and Glock, OldChap and BamaT like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Chicago is the worst for low clearances, back when I was driving those orange rolling roadblocks the company provided us with maps of Chicago showing all the low clearances. I had a delivery of paper to a printer there once and reading the directions I thought they were the screwiest ever, arriving at the consignee I saw the reason. There was an exit from the freeway just a short distance away and a 12 foot bridge just before the consignee and it had an 18 stuck under it.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I’ve ducked every time I’ve went under that bridge, even in my wife’s Toyota.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

I really doubt that raising to to 12'4" is going to make a difference. That is only 8" and most of those trucks lost more that 8" off the top.

All My Sons Moving and Storage damaged several trucks there, LOL! I bet the owner is not very happy.

Since the oil shale boom struck, West Texas has had at least one overpass on I-20 out every week for several years. They are not "low pass" bridges either - most are 18-20 feet. Yet the clueless oil field service companies hire people with zero brains and load their trucks to 25, sometimes 26 feet with equipment and off they go. I saw one hit by a 36 wheel tractor trailer that was loaded to 34 feet tall. He scattered wreckage for 50 yards along the top of the overpass. The irony was he had two "patrol" vehicles, one in front, one in back, but their check poles were set to 20 feet!

The state has started levying huge fines on these oil field offenders. I know of one company who was fined $50,000 for gross violations of Dept. Of Transportation laws. The driver lost all driving privileges. The company was virtually put out of business because the DPS went over every one of their vehicle inspections with a more than fine toothed comb.
    Rock and Glock and Rabbit212 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links