Math was never my strong point, but this is ridiculous! - Page 3

Math was never my strong point, but this is ridiculous!

This is a discussion on Math was never my strong point, but this is ridiculous! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Do you suppose anyone knows what this really means? "The district has proposed a new social justice-infused curriculum that would focus on "power and oppression" ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Math was never my strong point, but this is ridiculous!

Do you suppose anyone knows what this really means?
    "The district has proposed a new social justice-infused curriculum that would focus on "power and oppression" and "history of resistance and liberation" within the field of mathematics." Whatever happened to basic math skills? You know, add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions, decimals? Tools you might need to use in everyday life. Half of todays HS grads can't even count change in a transaction.
    G26Raven, msgt/ret and TimBob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    ...Half of todays HS grads can't even count change in a transaction.
    Uh, wait a minute...
    How much is "Half"?

Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    What a load of Bull Dung.
    I am too stupid to learn, it's the white man's fault.
    Only rich kids can learn math because their parents can afford tutors.
    If the Liberals had not destroyed public schools in the past 50 years maybe your kid would learn something other than "I Am A Victim"
    We need a war against "social justice warriors".
    Meanwhile the Chinese keep getting smarter and stronger.
    The fall of the Roman Empire is upon us.
    How many who avoided the draft stayed in school and became teachers? In a way, the beginning of this mess.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    So, when is 1 + 1 not equal 2???

Can someone answer that question for me? I have to make a major purchase today and I want to count how much money I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Sorry to break it to you. In binary, which is the math used by the computer or phone you're typing on:

1 + 1 = 10.
    Ok, so I'm buying bed from Mattress Mack. The bed $4,995.00 + 0.0825*$4,995 in tax. To me that is $5,407.09 in total. Now in oppressive Seattle math, how much more do I owe because I'm a bald white male?
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    Ok, so I'm buying bed from Mattress Mack. The bed $4,995.00 + 0.0825*$4,995 in tax. To me that is $5,407.09 in total. Now in oppressive Seattle math, how much more do I owe because I'm a bald white male?
    If you're a bald white male, you can't buy a bed in Seattle...
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    So, turn your back on the critical skill and knowledge base responsible for the machines that manufacture your book and computers, launch satellites into orbit that provide your Internet... shaking my head here. 21st-century Luddites.
    Learning to overcome difficulty is key to learning. And accepting challenges, working to overcome them and succeeding is a component of building character. I still do long division sometimes, just to keep the basic skill. I don't have the need to do calculus (hey, I'm retired) but I know what those odd squiggles mean (and just like G26R, calculus was a bit of a stretch for me; and, that stretching is something that today's young folks need.)

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    If you're a bald white male, you can't buy a bed in Seattle...
    Wasn't there a movie about that? "Sleepless in Seattle?" I didn't see it, so it might have been about something else.

Actually, he can't afford a mattress, because the alt-libs are now saying his share of reparations for slavery, patriarchy and LGBTQ discrimination is around $56,000.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I like it! Can I apply their reasoning to my taxes so I can get the maximum unearned income credit?
    M1911A1 likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I can do math (although I was abysmal in calculus) but I can't say it was my favorite subject in school (I think that was girls). But, I digress. Our culture is being destroyed by political correctness and this is just another example.

Seattle Public Schools Will Start Teaching That Math Is Oppressive

Math is a deeply frustrating subject for many elementary and high school students. But Seattle public schools are gearing up to accuse math of a litany of more serious crimes: imperialism, dehumanization, and oppression of marginalized persons.

The district has proposed a new social justice-infused curriculum that would focus on "power and oppression" and "history of resistance and liberation" within the field of mathematics. The curriculum isn't mandatory, but provides a resource for teachers who want to introduce ethnic studies into the classroom vis a vis math.

https://reason.com/2019/10/22/seattl...A8UgSPqr0Pv43s
    Note to self: Remember to never employ anyone educated in or near Seattle for any position that requires elementary mathematics skills (or logic, critical thinking, problem solving, or common sense).
    G26Raven, M1911A1 and ButtShot14 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Note to self: Remember to never employ anyone educated in or near Seattle for any position that requires elementary mathematics skills (or logic, critical thinking, problem solving, or common sense).
    This post brought to mind "the millennial job interview":

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    This post brought to mind "the millennial job interview":

Sad to say, I think that's pretty accurate based on what I've heard from a friend who runs a restaurant and has to hire regularly. He says the turn over with millenials is astonishing.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

As a retired HS science teacher...

...math was a necessity in my chemistry and physics classes, but not critical to understanding those subjects conceptually. I'm convinced that most folks could grasp a large majority of both subjects with little or no math. But to make it useful, measurements require us to use numbers, and without accurate measurements we don't get useful results. Thus, math is crucial in the sciences and always will be.

Please stick with me here.

OK, all that said, I had a very enlightening conversation about 25 years ago with a retiring elementary teacher.

She'd started her teaching career in 1960. She said at that time, career options for educated women were limited mostly to either teaching or nursing.

As a result, teaching drew a large % of the best and brightest among female college grads. These were women who had no math anxiety and were able to competently and clearly present the subject to their students.

In the decades since, many more career paths have opened up to women college grads and the low pay and low prestige of teaching the elementary grades meant that those with math deficiencies that kept them out of other career fields began populating our elementary schools. We see the results and it isn't a pretty picture.

The silly efforts of the education establishment, in the form of "flavor of the month" approaches to teaching math, serve more to confuse kids (and teachers) than to address the issue.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    YIKES! that millennial interview was truly upsetting. Her word formation, sentence structure and inflection TOTALLY sounded like a couple of my granddaughters.

Lord help us all!
    retired badge 1 and M1911A1 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Must of got tired of waiting for a crisis to manipulate and decided to jump into the fray with a backdoor option to preach the Liberal propaganda.
    When I was a student, a program like this if there had been one would have been the exact opposite. It would have looked at the positive contributions math has brought to the world by people of all nationalities, ethnicity, gender(two) through the ages. It would have been positive with a goal to inspire learning to achieve positive results in society and personal growth and at the very least hopefully something enjoyable to be taught and remembered.

I use to wonder how some of these radical left progressives could get up in the morning they live under such a dark cloud. But now I think I know. They're revolutionaries and they're on a mission and they're in positions to do just that.

You could maybe say the world's falling apart. It's not. It's falling into place. Maranatha

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    ...In the decades since, many more career paths have opened up to women college grads and the low pay and low prestige of teaching the elementary grades meant that those with math deficiencies that kept them out of other career fields began populating our elementary schools. We see the results and it isn't a pretty picture.

The silly efforts of the education establishment, in the form of "flavor of the month" approaches to teaching math, serve more to confuse kids (and teachers) than to address the issue.
    Been there (with Jean, when she was teaching).
    Seen that (watching the other teachers around her).

Please: Where's my safe space?
    Texas Red and G26Raven like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links