Math was never my strong point, but this is ridiculous!

This is a discussion on Math was never my strong point, but this is ridiculous! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can do math (although I was abysmal in calculus) but I can't say it was my favorite subject in school (I think that was ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Math was never my strong point, but this is ridiculous!

I can do math (although I was abysmal in calculus) but I can't say it was my favorite subject in school (I think that was girls). But, I digress. Our culture is being destroyed by political correctness and this is just another example.

Seattle Public Schools Will Start Teaching That Math Is Oppressive

Math is a deeply frustrating subject for many elementary and high school students. But Seattle public schools are gearing up to accuse math of a litany of more serious crimes: imperialism, dehumanization, and oppression of marginalized persons.

The district has proposed a new social justice-infused curriculum that would focus on "power and oppression" and "history of resistance and liberation" within the field of mathematics. The curriculum isn't mandatory, but provides a resource for teachers who want to introduce ethnic studies into the classroom vis a vis math.

https://reason.com/2019/10/22/seattl...A8UgSPqr0Pv43s
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Senior Moderator
    So, turn your back on the critical skill and knowledge base responsible for the machines that manufacture your book and computers, launch satellites into orbit that provide your Internet... shaking my head here. 21st-century Luddites.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    What a load of Bull Dung.
    I am too stupid to learn, it's the white man's fault.
    Only rich kids can learn math because their parents can afford tutors.
    If the Liberals had not destroyed public schools in the past 50 years maybe your kid would learn something other than "I Am A Victim"
    We need a war against "social justice warriors".
    Meanwhile the Chinese keep getting smarter and stronger.
    The fall of the Roman Empire is upon us.

Blame it all on Barbie's, "Math class is tough."
    Redbert31, G26Raven, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    More leftist bunk...they have been destroying public education for 50yrs...and the country as well.

And, for some reason, the American people have been content to follow public education and this country down the toilet...all you hear about public education is that it needs MORE money. What a load of horse apples.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Math was never one of my strong suites in fact when I went back to college I needed a tutor to make it through Algebra 1&2. But eliminating math as being racist and oppressive has got to be one of the most foolish ideas yet. Without math we would still be living in caves and beating game to death with sticks to feed ourselves.
    Redbert31, G26Raven, OD* and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

So, when is 1 + 1 not equal 2???

Can someone answer that question for me? I have to make a major purchase today and I want to count how much money I need.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Is this why the left is always demanding a recount of votes in elections?
    Because math is racist? this explains a lot!

I read about this over a week ago. It boggles one's mind to think that there are really people who actually believe this nonsense.

ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE who has the basic and essential faculties and the will and motivation to improve themselves can learn pretty much anything that is taught. Granted, some do have a predisposition towards certain things more than others, but that is how you are wired at conception. But if you put forth the effort and are highly motivated, you can do amazing things. I know, I've been there and am a prime example of which I speak.
    G26Raven, airslot and M1911A1 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I failed calculus twice in college just to make sure. I knew then math was evil and this proves it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yet another step in the wrong direction. How anyone can believe this is a good idea is beyond me. Well, at least it's still in the planning stages.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

This link is embedded in the article and gives more info.

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...ehumanize.html
    G26Raven likes this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

I am supportive of teaching the history of mathematics, exploring what societies contributed what aspects, and showing that a math book didn't just fall from the sky one day. Such a curriculum component could be fascinating and make math more interesting. However, that is completely different than a SJW viewpoint that math has been used to oppress [insert term du jour] and that the western world is once again responsible for all things wrong on the planet.
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; October 23rd, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

I love it...I LOVE IT.

Now when I go buy lunch and order $15 worth of burgers and give the window person a $20 bill, I can say,

"Wait a dag nab minute! I gave you a 20 dollar bill for 15 dollars worth of your scum and you give me ONLY 5 DOLLARS IN CHANGE? What kind of cheatin' joint is this?"
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links