Daylight Savings Time this weekend

This is a discussion on Daylight Savings Time this weekend within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Daylight Savings Time this weekend

Daylight Savings Time this weekend-daylight-savings-time.jpg
    flh, jmf552, LimaCharlie and 22 others like this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

I must have read this first sentence too fast because I began to wonder why your Glocks were going back this week.

That's a great meme! If people are really interested in the truth of that, though, I really recommend the cable TV series, Turn: Washington's Spies. In addition to being a great thriller, it really digs into colonial society at the time of the Revolution.

Most people back then did not have balls. Not everyone in America was even in favor of the Revolution and some fought against it. There were a lot of spies, traitors and cowards, despite the fact that the British felt they were free to take away any rights of any colonials at any time. And the revolutionaries we so admire today committed some atrocities of their own. They were not always the good guys. A lot of loyalists, fearing reprisals, had to flee to Canada after we won the Revolution.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Revolution, The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the BOR are some of the greatest things in history. But it is important to not see them as some unblemished heroic past. Revolutions are messy affairs and who gets the credit and who gets the blame often depends on who wins in the end. If we have to fight another one, it won't be pretty either.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Name:  History.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  33.4 KB
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Great . . . I won't be able to lay eggs for a week.
    M1911A1 and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Name:  History.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  33.4 KB
    One of the limitations of our colonial hunting rifles and muskets (however well our young soldiers could use them) was that they had no bayonet lugs. A bayonet was critical in 1775.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Its going back to sucky standard time this weekend.
    Why does standard time suck? Because it gets dark at 4:30 in December, thats why.
    Would getting dark at 5:30 be that much better? Yes, then I wouldn't (might not) need a lantern to walk the dog(s) in the afternoon.
    What is the solution to this stupidity? Abolish standard time, stay on daylight savings time and leave it there, no more messing with the time.
    Standard time (which begins this weekend) SUCKS.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Of course getting dark earlier also means getting light earlier. There is no sunlight gained or lost by dinking around with the clocks. We need to stop it.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I like standard time.
    I do some of my best work in the dark.
    artemis28, ETXhiker and airslot like this.

I'm not a morning person (or any other time of day person, for that matter). If I'm going to sleep in, I'd prefer it to be dark. I thought the nearly 24 hours of daylight in AK was great during the summers, the nearly 24 hours of darkness in the winter not so great. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd stay on DST year round.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If I had the choice I'd opt for DST all year but I wouldn't really mind of we used standard time all year. Either would be better than changing back and forth.
    Risasi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Its going back to sucky standard time this weekend.
    Why does standard time suck? Because it gets dark at 4:30 in December, thats why.
    Would getting dark at 5:30 be that much better? Yes, then I wouldn't (might not) need a lantern to walk the dog(s) in the afternoon.
    What is the solution to this stupidity? Abolish standard time, stay on daylight savings time and leave it there, no more messing with the time.
    Standard time (which begins this weekend) SUCKS.
    Sounds like you're on the eastern edge of Central Time, down south. Birmingham, FL panhandle or somewhere close by...or maybe way north in Maine in Eastern Time zone.

I say use Zulu Time (Basically UTC, formerly know as GMT) around the world, all the time, like we did in the Navy. It seems intimidating at first, but if you are traveling around the world, or dealing with people around the world, you really get used to it quickly.Then there are no time zones, no daylight savings time, no "local times," etc.
    msgt/ret and wmhawth like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I say use Zulu Time (Basically UTC, formerly know as GMT) around the world, all the time, like we did in the Navy. It seems intimidating at first, but if you are traveling around the world, or dealing with people around the world, you really get used to it quickly.Then there are no time zones, no daylight savings time, no "local times," etc.
    That actually makes some sense. It would just take a bit of getting used to. It'd make my bed time around 0400. Sunrise here would be around 1300 depending on the season. One could adapt.

VIP Member
    Yeah.....this time change nonsense has the Vampires all messed up.......
    Dial1911 and rotorhead1026 like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links