What is your scariest movie ever? - Page 3

What is your scariest movie ever?

This is a discussion on What is your scariest movie ever? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 The original "The Thing from Another World", which I saw at about age 7. It was on the late Saturday movie ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: What is your scariest movie ever?

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    The original "The Thing from Another World", which I saw at about age 7. It was on the late Saturday movie - ended about 11 p. m. The house was dark, and I couldn't walk back to my room!
    "An intellectual carrot. The mind boggles."

It was a spooky carrot.
    Rockymonster and ETXhiker like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Ex Member
    No doubt about it for me. "the Mummies Ghost" made in 1944. I saw it in 1947 when I was five years old. I was terrified. I do not watch contemporary horror flicks. I just tune into current events and that is enough horror for me.

VIP Member
    The original "The Thing from Another World", which I saw at about age 7. It was on the late Saturday movie - ended about 11 p. m. The house was dark, and I couldn't walk back to my room!
    Are we talking about the original B&W 1951 version? That scared the be-jeepers out of me as a youngster. I actually have a DVD of the original..... James Arness of Gunsmoke fame was “The Thing”.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Wasn't forbidden planet the movie that had Anne Francis in it?...
    Yep!!!
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I must have been around 6 or 7 when I first saw the original "Frankenstein" movie. Had nightmares for weeks.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

Hillary in a dark alley w/ no make-up in her famous pantsuit!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Idiocracy. The way our society is going, we are well on our way to being there.
    lordofwyr, Nmuskier and artemis28 like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

"Bone Tomahawk", starring Kurt Russel, had the most ghastly special effects I have ever viewed in a fiction movie... And Misty told me she never wants to view anything that horrible again.

And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

One of the reasons that there was never a sequel was that Margaret Hamilton, who played the witch, wouldn't do the part again. The fact that she was so terrifying to children really upset her.
    She sure made a heck of an impression for a part that was on screen for less than 12 minutes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Hillary in a dark alley w/ no make-up in her famous pantsuit!
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Are we talking about the original B&W 1951 version? That scared the be-jeepers out of me as a youngster. I actually have a DVD of the original..... James Arness of Gunsmoke fame was “The Thing”.
    That's the one. The remake with Kurt Russell was more gory than scary.
    ButtShot14 and Rockymonster like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

When I was 8 years old I watched Helter Skelter on TV. I didn't sleep with the light off for the next two years.
    5lima30ret likes this.

VIP Member
    That's the one. The remake with Kurt Russell was more gory than scary.
    Agreed... I thought the 3rd one (2011), which was a prequel to the Curt Russel version was decent.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Here's one from a slightly different category - The Deer Hunter. It still haunts me almost 40 years later.

Salems Lot too - the baby crawling in the crawl space made me always hate crawl spaces after that!

Taxi Driver deserves mention too. Apocalypse Now ranks up there.

No Country for Old Men too. A real psychological thriller.

Finally, as a child - The Wizard of Oz and the flying monkeys mortified me! We lived in central Kansas too, and of course tornadoes were standard every spring.

The Shining was great as a book, but only so so as a movie. Of course, he's a bona fide anti-gun progressive now, so I refuse to acknowledge him other than that pièce de résistance.

And then there is always the original Manchurian Candidate. And the Missouri Breaks.
    OldVet, M1911A1, OD* and 5 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member

A Little 'Alien' Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Poorly View Post
    I watched a lot of sci-fi movies, classic Universal Studio monster pictures, schlocky horror movies as a kid and they didn't seem to bother me. The one movie that really scared the stuffing out of me was Alien. I was literally on the edge of my seat. I was shaking when I left the theater.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrabby View Post
    Alien
    Five years before 'Alien', Dan O'Bannon wrote 'Dark Star'. Directed by a young John Carpenter, 'Dark Star' was a grade B, doper-comedy sci-fi flick that has something of a cult following.

A sub-plot within 'Dark Star' has the spaceship's alien "mascot" escaping and wreaking havok as Sgt. Pinback stalks the alien (and it stalks him), through the dark, creepy ship's interior. The alien was basically a big, orange-painted beach ball with green & yellow spots and big green clawed feet. Although 'Dark Star' was a goofy comedy, O'Bannon decided that the idea of a dangerous alien loose in a dark, creepy space ship had potential, so the seed was planted! Five years later he teamed up with Ridley Scott, and 'Alien' was born!

I saw 'Dark Star' as a college student, when it first came out in 1974. I thought it was great! I saw it again many years later and, well, let's just say our tastes change over time!

Here's Sgt. Pinback engaging the progenitor of the alien from 'Alien' with a broom:

What is your scariest movie ever?-dark_star.jpg

If that doesn't scare the beejezus out of you, I don't know what will!
    M1911A1, Poorly, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links