What is your scariest movie ever? - Page 6

What is your scariest movie ever?

This is a discussion on What is your scariest movie ever? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldVet All-time fav: The Maltese Falcon Oh yeah, right up there at the top of my list. Did you know The Maltese ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: What is your scariest movie ever?

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    All-time fav: The Maltese Falcon
    Oh yeah, right up there at the top of my list.
    Did you know The Maltese Falcon was filmed three times? Of course only Bogie's became a film noir classic.
    OldVet and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I caught "The Thing" on TV when I was about 9 or 10. Waaaay too young for this!
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

"Saw" for pure gore.

"The Babadook" is a cool, newer supernatural thriller.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    If you have cable, TCM always plays noir Sunday mornings. It’s great stuff. “Double Indemnity”, “The Blue Dahlia”, ... :)
    If I may slightly add to what you said, TCM"s Noir Alley, hosted by Eddie Muller, is shown on Saturday night at midnight ET and then repeated the following Sunday morning at 10:00 AM.

Now, back to the thread...
    OD* and KILTED COWBOY like this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

All-time fav: The Maltese Falcon
    One of my favorites, too...
    Right alongside Casablanca.

...And the Marx Brothers in A Night in Casablanca.
    OldVet, OD* and Poorly like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post

"Saw" for pure gore.

"The Babadook" is a cool, newer supernatural thriller.
    I had forgot about “The Thing”, that movie kept one the very edge of your seat through the entire movie. “Kolchak: The Night Stalker” was another all time favorite and I agree Darren McGavin was a perfect choice for Kolchak. I saw the first "Saw" and really did not care for it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I remember seeing it as a youngster also, and it scared the crap out of me. I could not believe "Matt Dillion" could be so scary.

I believe the movie that ruined me for life for horror movies was the original House on Haunted Hill. I remember sitting in the theater and peeking between my fingers as I hoped it would end soon. Now it seems so cheesy, but back then... That acid pool! I still have an issue walking over grated openings.
    rotorhead1026, OD* and Nmuskier like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I saw the first "Saw" and really did not care for it.
    the mere premise of a story can be more frightening than the movie itself.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Now that the future is here, I reflect back and realize how scary "1984" and "A Clockwork Orange" were.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Prince of Darkness, saw it when it came out in 1987, scary as hell back then.
    OD* likes this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    The Blob scared me as a small child! McQueen as a kid!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    When I was in elementary school, late 50s-early 60s, I saw a B&W horror movie wherein they warned you that just before a really scary scene appeared, a bell would ring so you could close your eyes if you were afraid to watch it. I peaked, and it was a scene where the scientist cut open some ones forehead with a scalpel. It was pretty tame actually. The loud bell scared me more than most of the movie.

Cannot remember the name of the film, but it was a doctor/scientist on and island creating odd creatures. I thought it was “The Island of Doctor Moreau, but the dates don’t fit.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    When I was in elementary school, late 50s-early 60s, I saw a B&W horror movie wherein they warned you that just before a really scary scene appeared, a bell would ring so you could close your eyes if you were afraid to watch it. I peaked, and it was a scene where the scientist cut open some ones forehead with a scalpel. It was pretty tame actually. The loud bell scared me more than most of the movie.

Cannot remember the name of the film, but it was a doctor/scientist on and island creating odd creatures. I thought it was “The Island of Doctor Moreau, but the dates don’t fit.
    Did it involve face transplanting? I saw one like that once. It scared me too. But then, they all do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post

Did it involve face transplanting? I saw one like that once. It scared me too. But then, they all do.
    It was more like turning animals into people or vice versa.....IIRC there was a leopard man or some such creature....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    The Wizard of Oz when I was a kid. The witch terrified me.

The Exorcist as an adult. I could not sleep after seeing it.
    Especially when she said...."Your Mother Chucks Socks That Smell!"....or something like that.
    G26Raven, OD* and ETXhiker like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

When we were kids a local movie theater had Saturday matinees that were triple feature, 3 movies for 25 cents. The movies were either westerns or horror films. Me and my two cousins went often during summer vacation from school. They started in the afternoon but by the time they were over it was dark, or getting dark. I remember several times walking home after watching 3 of the old horror films and feeling like something was about to jump out at me. That walk home was at a pretty brisk pace.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links