What change?

What change?

This is a discussion on What change? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't intend for this to be a political article in the sense that I support or am against anyone. But I think people need ...

Like Tree33Likes
  • 12 Post By GpTom
  • 3 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 6 Post By OneGunTX
  • 4 Post By Havok
  • 8 Post By jmf552

Thread: What change?

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar

What change?

I don't intend for this to be a political article in the sense that I support or am against anyone. But I think people need to know some facts about elections and candidates.

Like so many others I decided to try to find out who was running against the incumbent in my district. What I found was a candidate who was pretty much running a one man campaign. He told me that his chance of winning was so dim that his party of choice wouldn't even support him. He still got about a fourth of the votes.

What I learned from this is that you can't wait until the last minute to try to make a difference because you might not have a viable candidate by then or maybe no candidate at all. It can take years for somebody to go from throwing their hat in the ring to becoming a viable candidate. Around here a lot of the time incumbents run unopposed and by some miracle they seem to win every time. No matter if they care about the wishes of their constituents or not.

So contact the headquarters of the party you support and ask them who is running from your district and for what office. If you like a candidate or really oppose another now is your chance to start trying to make a difference. Otherwise it doesn't matter how much you complain about the way things are going because you didn't do anything to try to make a difference.

Sometimes all it takes is a few people to get the ball rolling for people to see the possibilities.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Nice to hear from a concerned and responsible citizen.
    Good for you!
    LimaCharlie, OldChap and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I don't intend for this to be a political article in the sense that I support or am against anyone. But I think people need to know some facts about elections and candidates.

Like so many others I decided to try to find out who was running against the incumbent in my district. What I found was a candidate who was pretty much running a one man campaign. He told me that his chance of winning was so dim that his party of choice wouldn't even support him. He still got about a fourth of the votes.

What I learned from this is that you can't wait until the last minute to try to make a difference because you might not have a viable candidate by then or maybe no candidate at all. It can take years for somebody to go from throwing their hat in the ring to becoming a viable candidate. Around here a lot of the time incumbents run unopposed and by some miracle they seem to win every time. No matter if they care about the wishes of their constituents or not.

So contact the headquarters of the party you support and ask them who is running from your district and for what office. If you like a candidate or really oppose another now is your chance to start trying to make a difference. Otherwise it doesn't matter how much you complain about the way things are going because you didn't do anything to try to make a difference.

Sometimes all it takes is a few people to get the ball rolling for people to see the possibilities.
    I left Illannoy because no matter how I voted, a Democrat always won in Chicago. I got tired of the back-room deals, corrupt police officers, etc. One time a police officer asked my Dad for a bribe to protect his store right in front of me.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

If I have learned anything from voting, it's that most people, including politicians, would rather complain about things not changing, than actually working to change them.
    M1911A1, Instymp, airslot and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I spent five hours today at the headquarters of my state senator, Amanda Chase, making phone calls. Chase is the politician who got in the nation news because she open carries a J frame in a custom holster right on the Senate floor during sessions. She has the top rating from both the NRA and the VCDL, whereas her opponent has the lowest rating from each. Yet our county Republican party kicked her out of the organization only a few weeks before the election over a political (not legal) squabble with our Republican Sheriff. But it was too late to get her off the ballot as the Republican candidate. I think this our local GOP going RINO.

BTW, because of that squabble, I'm doing something I have never done. I'm voting for an Independent for Sheriff, because he is more of a conservative than the Republican candidate and there is no Dem. running for Sheriff.

Tomorrow, I will man my local poll handing out literature for Chase, from 9:00 to 4:30. Then I will come back to the poll as it closes at 7:00, to be an official witness to the validation of the ballots. Our Dem. Gov. pulled a fast one and got each poll to get staffed with two Democrat election judges and only one Republican judge and approval is a two out of three "vote." I personally will have no say in the matter. My job is if the Republican judge objects and gets overruled, I have a number to call that sends lawyers in motion.

This is tedious work, but I think that is how we have to do it. You pick a candidate you support, you volunteer and do what needs to be done. You find an organization you support, like the VCDL and you try to get out the vote for the candidates they endorse. This is the way it has always been in our country. If we don't want tyranny and we don't want to a bloody war over it, we have to out-work them.
    darbo, GpTom, LimaCharlie and 5 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Sponsored Links