Self surgery on ingrown toenail - Page 3

Self surgery on ingrown toenail

This is a discussion on Self surgery on ingrown toenail within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If it ever comes up again, Ora-gel [ like Sister said] or you can use that Freezing spray that cake decorators use to numb it ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Self surgery on ingrown toenail

If it ever comes up again, Ora-gel [ like Sister said] or you can use that Freezing spray that cake decorators use to numb it before surgery! I used to have that happen often. Once I realized that I was diabetic and got that under control I stopped having ingrown nails. both finger and toe nails. DR
    msgt/ret, Sister and 5lima30ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    I can’t wait to see the “Kentucky Vasectomy” thread

Learning to take care of one's feet is one of a soldier's highest priorities.

Some practical advice for those prone to ingrown toenails:

1. Go barefoot, when able, but loose socks for warmth. If you have slippery floors, get traction socks. Sandals are fine, if they're flat sandals whose straps wrap around your feet or you big toe without touching the tip of any toe, the nail or the nail bed. I rarely wear shoes anymore. Usually just simple leather sandals at home. Shoes outside the home, but they're lose with a big, wide toe box.

Unless you're prone to gout, which can be sensitive to too much heat, genuine fleece slippers are good for winter.

And, unless you're playing soccer or football, no shoe should be tight or hot. Snug for running shoes, and "just right" for all others, less than snug but not loose.

2. Therapeutic soaks should range between normal saline (1.5 tsp per liter) and double saline (3 tsp i.e. 1 TBSP per liter) using non-iodized salt. Warm up to about 108 deg, but any hotter only breaks down cellular metabolism. That's not a good thing for your tissues, as you're trying to improve circulation, not cook your tissues.

3. For magnesium (Epsom) soaks, follow directions, but magnesium is absorbed into the body, so beware any contraindications with other medicines.

4. For wound soaks, 3% NaCl (5 tsp per liter) is a better irrigant than 0.9% NaCl (1.5 tsp per liter i.e. Normal Saline) for dressing of Open trauma wounds during initial stages of dressing. Their effectivity in maintaining advanced granulation is although questionable, probably owing to its desiccative action. Limit wound soaks to 30 min, 3x/day, combined with normal dressings between soaks.

Caution: Except for special solutions used in hospitals, do NOT use any surfactant on open wounds, as it strips the tissues of a bunch of things they need to both protect themselves and heal.

Caution: Do not use either iodized salt, chlorine, bromine, or iodine in the water as all are halogens. Sure, they're great for killing germs -- and your tissues, particularly the exposed portions of wounds which need to heal. Instead, boil the water, add the salt, and let cool.

Used to be, if you went to the doctor with a cut they'd scrub it with Betadine. Not any more. They'll still scrub and debride it, but they'll irrigate it with water and IF they apply anything, it's usually a triple antibiotic.

Note: For wounds that take a long time to heal, use 3% for the first week and 2% for successive weeks.
    MMinSC, OldChap and 5lima30ret like this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    I’ve tried lots of things to get rid of an ingrown toenail, but the thing that seems to work best for me is to periodically dig the ends out and cut ‘em off before they really dig in themselves. About once a week, I do a little toe maintenance, lest I suffer to hobble in pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OldChap likes this.

I was scared to scroll down figuring you may have posted a pic. Thank you for that omission. Glad it worked out, but darned if that wasn't hard to read.
    OD* and OldChap like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

@since9 Good information for everyone. You reminded me to look for a replacement pair of good fleece slippers. Thanks.
    since9 likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Administrator
    It is not the mountain ahead...but the pebble in your shoe.

Any issue with the feet can be debilitating.

A simple blister or two can turn a hike into something akin to a death march.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Next time video it and upload it to YouTube!
    OD* likes this.

TMI

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

My son recently attended some navy training at Coronado, CA. A long march in wet boots and sand left him with blisters so bad it looked like he'd walked on hot coals. The soled of his feet literally peeled off. It left him hobbled for quite a while.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

G-Man, you are a tougher guy than I am. Excuse me while I go puke up my breakfast after reading this...
    QKShooter and OD* like this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I remember many times in survival school the instructors stressing, take care of your feet and they’ll take care of you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I remember many times in survival school the instructors stressing, take care of your feet and they’ll take care of you.
    That is one area where I do not skimp at all is on footwear, especially for hunting.
    msgt/ret, QKShooter and M1911A1 like this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    G-Man, you are a tougher guy than I am. Excuse me while I go puke up my breakfast after reading this...
    Save the chunks for lunch!
    OD*, msgt/ret, G26Raven and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Save the chunks for lunch!
    OldVet and G26Raven like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

All is good now.

Happy feet!
    OD*, msgt/ret, G26Raven and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links