Self surgery on ingrown toenail - Page 4

Self surgery on ingrown toenail

This is a discussion on Self surgery on ingrown toenail within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by G-man* All is good now. Happy feet! Thumbs up, you did a great Job, Dr. Voo-Doo G-man the podietAtriss...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Self surgery on ingrown toenail

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    All is good now.

Happy feet!
    Thumbs up, you did a great Job, Dr. Voo-Doo G-man the podietAtriss

Name:  ABFD0A01-4FC2-4290-A21F-655ECBBFC8CA.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  32.9 KB
    OD*, msgt/ret and G-man* like this.
    “FIRST DO NO HARM”, The forgotten creed and a profession that is licensed to kill by our government.

UDC member
    Independent voter [earn my vote Bubba!]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My son recently attended some navy training at Coronado, CA. A long march in wet boots and sand left him with blisters so bad it looked like he'd walked on hot coals. The soled of his feet literally peeled off. It left him hobbled for quite a while.
    I'm a fan of tough training, particularly when the end result absolutely has to get a job done no matter what. I think there are other ways of approaching things, though, that don't physically break people. Once the skin (or any tissue) degrades that much, it's never quite right again.

I hiked Pikes Peak when I was a kid, in new and not the best fitting hiking boots. Cheap with poorly-fitting plastic heel cups, so they couldn't break in. Blisters on my heels by Barr Camp, applied moleskin, but there wasn't really enough room for it, so by 12,000 feet, I was pulling out balled up moleskin, along with my skin, out of my socks before continuing.

They healed, but the skin was never quite the same, always finicky with pressure and fit.

By the time I went through survival school, however, I'd accumulated enough know-how to hit the field training portion in a pair of slightly loose-fitting year-old boots, broken in with plenty of walking, but with plenty of sole left and the leather in good shape. I wore athletic socks next to my skin, then 100% wool socks between the cotton and the leather. The wool both cushions and acts as a slide, so zero blisters. Nary a hot-spot, either. Snug, but never tight.

Hope you're son made it through.
    The only way we're going beat this thing is by fighting on both fronts: Against the virus and for our economy. Learn to use and use the right procedures so we can do both and win.

Been progressively getting more hobbled by this issue on my right big toe. I haven’t had an issue with it since my grandfather cut it out when I was a teenager.

But man! It has been back for a few months now, and I’ve tried to ignore it, but now that hunting season is starting Saturday, I knew I had to deal with it last night.

I cut and clipped my way to the ingrown part, but then I couldn’t find a pair of tweezers.

So, knowing this was gonna hurt like the dickens, I found me a piece of wood used for fire kindling to bite down on, fixed a bucket of hot water with 10% bleach, and got a pair of needle nose pliers and went to work.

I was able to get the blade of my pocket knife under a piece of the ingrown nail to lift it up, so I could get a good pinch on it with the pliers, and started pulling it out....I was making a nice dental imprint in the wood at this time. A final yank pulled it free.

A slight infection had set in, so I made a little slice in the skin to help it drain, and then stuck my foot down in the hot bleach water ( still biting on the wood)

Wife came in the room a few minutes later to say she had found the tweezers, lol. She about freaked when I showed her the pliers, knife and toe.

Happy to report no pain today, and Im ready to put on the hunting boots and traverse the hills Saturday.

Damned if there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to make sure I didn’t miss opening day!
    Why in the world would you do this? A podiatrist would have done this for you with a local block and sterile conditions for the price of a copay.
    I've done ingrown toenail removals in the ER in NY and I can promise you that it would take apocalyptic circumstances for me to think it's a good idea to do this at home to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My son recently attended some navy training at Coronado, CA. A long march in wet boots and sand left him with blisters so bad it looked like he'd walked on hot coals. The soled of his feet literally peeled off. It left him hobbled for quite a while.
    Some things never change. I went through advisor training at Coronado in 1969. The first day, they issued green fatigues and new Viet Nam jungle boots. We had to run through the surf and then down the Silver Strand beach until the boots dried. It was their version of instant break-in.
    OldVet, airslot, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I'm a fan of tough training, particularly when the end result absolutely has to get a job done no matter what. I think there are other ways of approaching things, though, that don't physically break people. Once the skin (or any tissue) degrades that much, it's never quite right again.

I hiked Pikes Peak when I was a kid, in new and not the best fitting hiking boots. Cheap with poorly-fitting plastic heel cups, so they couldn't break in. Blisters on my heels by Barr Camp, applied moleskin, but there wasn't really enough room for it, so by 12,000 feet, I was pulling out balled up moleskin, along with my skin, out of my socks before continuing.

They healed, but the skin was never quite the same, always finicky with pressure and fit.

By the time I went through survival school, however, I'd accumulated enough know-how to hit the field training portion in a pair of slightly loose-fitting year-old boots, broken in with plenty of walking, but with plenty of sole left and the leather in good shape. I wore athletic socks next to my skin, then 100% wool socks between the cotton and the leather. The wool both cushions and acts as a slide, so zero blisters. Nary a hot-spot, either. Snug, but never tight.

Hope you're son made it through.
    The physical reasons blisters form is movement between layers of the skin. The outer layers are fixed and internal layers below move....impending inflammation between layers. The above is a great way to deal with this. I used a very thin pair of socks against the skin and a somewhat heavier pair outside that. That puts the sliding of layers between the socks not the skin. if you should be so unlucky to get a blister applying packing tape over the blister and under the socks does much the same thing. Don't break the blister, just cover it with shiny, slick packing tape and go for it.
    100% of home invasions occur......in someone's home.....usually without warning.

Senior Moderator
    Dual socks here since the BSA.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I had ingrown toenails on both sides of both big toes as a teenager. There were several self-surgeries and medical surgeries. I finally discovered not to ever cut the toenails on my big toes. I use a file and file the nail flat across the end of the toe.
    It's almost counter-intuitive, however it's true. Either clip the big toe nails straight across, or just use a file.

Self surgery? I understand OP's actions, but do not usually recommend. Glad it worked out.

QKShooter likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    Why in the world would you do this? A podiatrist would have done this for you with a local block and sterile conditions for the price of a copay.
    I've done ingrown toenail removals in the ER in NY and I can promise you that it would take apocalyptic circumstances for me to think it's a good idea to do this at home to myself.
    I guess I won't be telling you about about my self-colonoscopy I did with a $12.49 bore scope I purchased off e-bay!
    DZUS, msgt/ret, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I guess I won't be telling you about about my self-colonoscopy I did with a $12.49 bore scope I purchased off e-bay!
    Well tell me, I want to hear about it.
    PEF, DZUS, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.- Mark Twain

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I remember many times in survival school the instructors stressing, take care of your feet and they’ll take care of you.
    During land navigation evaluation, I watched in horror as the boots were removed from a fellow cadet's feet to reveal a bloody blistery mess. The cadet had to go on profile for 30 days and recycle to a later regiment. I probably cinched my boots too tight, and had some nerve damage (a few numb toes and spots on the sole) for several years afterwards. Even now, over 20 years later, one toe still feels "funny" on the tip.
    msgt/ret and QKShooter like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Why in the hell would you do this procedure in the ER? Seems like a waste of time and out of priorities.

Its done, been done for like...months ago. One does not need a medical facility or physician for everything.
    msgt/ret, Tstone and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    And you plan on putting that thing down a rifle barrel now!
    Guess you watched way too much Star Trek as a kid.
    You boldly went where no man has gone before.
    msgt/ret, PEF, QKShooter and 1 others like this.

Why in the hell would you do this procedure in the ER? Seems like a waste of time and out of priorities.
    Because the homeless and undocumented use the ER as a single point access to medical care, and because it's faster to do it and have them be gone than to have them come back 6 hours later with the same complaint after spending hours trying to get them a free clinic appointment.
    Its done, been done for like...months ago. One does not need a medical facility or physician for everything.
    I agree. I am just a big believer in "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". I CAN do a lot of things sort of ok, that someone else can do faster and better. If necessary I can do it, but why would I, if I had a choice?..
    Rock and Glock likes this.

If necessary I can do it, but why would I, if I had a choice?..
    I thought it was clear in the OP.

Opening day of deer season occurring that weekend. No time to set up an appointment.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I thought it was clear in the OP.

Opening day of deer season occurring that weekend. No time to set up an appointment.
    Don't blame you a bit and I am glad you have your priorities straight. Glad it got better. Never had an ingrown toenail but lost a fingernail that started growing back into the skin. Was able to clip it off with nail clippers and clean it out really well. It was not super comfortable to say the least.
    G-man* and OD* like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links