Self surgery on ingrown toenail

This is a discussion on Self surgery on ingrown toenail within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Been progressively getting more hobbled by this issue on my right big toe. I haven’t had an issue with it since my grandfather cut it ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Self surgery on ingrown toenail

Been progressively getting more hobbled by this issue on my right big toe. I haven’t had an issue with it since my grandfather cut it out when I was a teenager.

But man! It has been back for a few months now, and I’ve tried to ignore it, but now that hunting season is starting Saturday, I knew I had to deal with it last night.

I cut and clipped my way to the ingrown part, but then I couldn’t find a pair of tweezers.

So, knowing this was gonna hurt like the dickens, I found me a piece of wood used for fire kindling to bite down on, fixed a bucket of hot water with 10% bleach, and got a pair of needle nose pliers and went to work.

I was able to get the blade of my pocket knife under a piece of the ingrown nail to lift it up, so I could get a good pinch on it with the pliers, and started pulling it out....I was making a nice dental imprint in the wood at this time. A final yank pulled it free.

A slight infection had set in, so I made a little slice in the skin to help it drain, and then stuck my foot down in the hot bleach water ( still biting on the wood)

Wife came in the room a few minutes later to say she had found the tweezers, lol. She about freaked when I showed her the pliers, knife and toe.

Happy to report no pain today, and Im ready to put on the hunting boots and traverse the hills Saturday.

Damned if there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to make sure I didn’t miss opening day!
    LimaCharlie, flh, Sister and 16 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

You da man!
    airslot likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    That hurts just reading it! It is a great relief, though, to get an ingrown nail "gone."

For the future: My father (wise man that he was) told me that if you file the tops of your toe nails flat..........not the ends, the top surface....every week or two, you will not get ingrown toe nails. When I get the beginnings of one, I cut it as far as I can and get my trusty old nail file out and start making a "plateau" on the top of my big toe nails. It works. You just have to know when to stop filing, so the surface is flat enough to encourage the sides to grow up and out and not down and in - but not so thin that the nail will break or crack open.

I told my father's foot doctor about that and he said he never heard of such a thing......well of course not. It would take away a lot of his business.
    G-man*, OD*, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I can’t wait to see the “Kentucky Vasectomy” thread
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

VIP Member
    Wow, that would have been a great You Tube video especially close ups of the bite block and the pliers t work. OUCH!
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.,,,,,,,,,,,,, Theodore Roosevelt

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Sounds like watching the Toe Bro !!!! Yikes...my whole spine went numb !!!!!
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Been progressively getting more hobbled by this issue on my right big toe. I haven’t had an issue with it since my grandfather cut it out when I was a teenager.

But man! It has been back for a few months now, and I’ve tried to ignore it, but now that hunting season is starting Saturday, I knew I had to deal with it last night.

I cut and clipped my way to the ingrown part, but then I couldn’t find a pair of tweezers.

So, knowing this was gonna hurt like the dickens, I found me a piece of wood used for fire kindling to bite down on, fixed a bucket of hot water with 10% bleach, and got a pair of needle nose pliers and went to work.

I was able to get the blade of my pocket knife under a piece of the ingrown nail to lift it up, so I could get a good pinch on it with the pliers, and started pulling it out....I was making a nice dental imprint in the wood at this time. A final yank pulled it free.

A slight infection had set in, so I made a little slice in the skin to help it drain, and then stuck my foot down in the hot bleach water ( still biting on the wood)

Wife came in the room a few minutes later to say she had found the tweezers, lol. She about freaked when I showed her the pliers, knife and toe.

Happy to report no pain today, and Im ready to put on the hunting boots and traverse the hills Saturday.

Damned if there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to make sure I didn’t miss opening day!
    You Kentucky boys are a tough bunch. In my neck of the woods we got Doctors that take care of painful stuff like that.

G-Man, I was flinching as I read your story!! Glad you didn't miss opening day!!
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    You Kentucky boys are a tough bunch. In my neck of the woods we got Doctors that take care of painful stuff like that.
    A doc would have been preferable, but I waited too long to get an appointment:)
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Be careful with with that self surgery stuff.
    I know a guy who got a real bad infection and lost his toe.
    I have type 2 diabetes and have to use great care with my feet.
    Sister, msgt/ret, OldChap and 4 others like this.

I had ingrown toenails on both sides of both big toes as a teenager. There were several self-surgeries and medical surgeries. I finally discovered not to ever cut the toenails on my big toes. I use a file and file the nail flat across the end of the toe.
    Sister and MMinSC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I had ingrown toenails on both sides of both big toes as a teenager. There were several self-surgeries and medical surgeries. I finally discovered not to ever cut the toenails on my big toes. I use a file and file the nail flat across the end of the toe.
    That will work unless your nails have too much curve, which mine do.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    That will work unless your nails have too much curve, which mine do.
    Mine curve too. My big toenail looks like a large staple when viewed from the end.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Tossing this out cause I do self surgery too; Orajel tooth pain will do a nice job of numbing. Crazy glue is great for skin closure and repair

good job G-man, you had a plan and went through with it 👍🏻
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

G-man, I'm thinking if you ever shoot yourself, you'll have a record-length thread. "How to dig out a bullet with a tire iron and spatula." People who haven't posted in years will come back to chime in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links