Mike Rowe: This is why we have 1.6 T in student debt - Page 2

Mike Rowe: This is why we have 1.6 T in student debt

This is a discussion on Mike Rowe: This is why we have 1.6 T in student debt within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Sister You were a Home Ec teacher? Friend, you spend too much time on the computer to be a home maker, lol ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Mike Rowe: This is why we have 1.6 T in student debt

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    You were a Home Ec teacher? Friend, you spend too much time on the computer to be a home maker, lol 😉
    Unlike most i can multitask

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Unlike most i can multitask

( ie: you are on two forms, not just this one )

😆
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Shop classes also taught what many of us took for granted. For several summers I was team leader for groups of teenagers doing mission work for World Changers. We did various construction projects for elderly/ disabled in the rural Appalachian Mountains. Most all of the teens could not read a tape measure, square a structure by measuring the diagonals, or use a square or conventional level. By the end of the projects they were all competent enough to get an entry level construction job and helped out some good people in need during the process!
    PPS1980 and airslot like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Another option is the military. They need good people and you can learn a solid trade there, if you choose to.

I have a nephew who is not "book smart" and even has a mild learning disability. But he is a hard worker, has a lot of common sense and discipline and is good a working with mechanical and electronic systems. He joined the Air National Guard as a command and control tech. After a few years, he got a job with a major defense contractor, training people on the kinds of systems he operated in the Guard. He has done really well for himself.
    My cousin sounds just like your nephew. We got him into the Corps and he never looked back. Was taught to be a heavy engine mechanic and transitioned into the reserves after 8 years and has ALWAYS had work. He tells everyone, the Corps taught him how to put in an honest days work and to take pride in everything he does. He still tells me I f'd up by being a "college puke".
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    My buddy does handyman/hvac/some basic automation work for various businesses. Knows a lot about various mechanical/controls etc... he does about 500K a year in revenues for his labor mostly, small amount of expenses. He's smart but so could a lot of people with mechanical aptitude and some training. A nice gig he made for himself in the trades.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I went to college and got my degree in accounting. But I frequently tell people that 75% of what I learned in college won't make you a dime unless you get on Jeopardy. There were so many classes that can best be described as "nice to know". Sure, it's nice to know why everyone is laughing when someone says, "If it ain't baroque, don't fix it" when discussing music at a dinner party, but no one has ever run into my office/cube saying, "Quick! When was the French novelist Gustave Flaubert born." But I still had to pay to learn and then forget that kind of stuff. I could have learned all I needed in a year. That's why VoTech schools are much more efficient. You don't waste time (and money) learning European history to become a plumber. And my plumber makes more than I do.
    M1911A1 and airslot like this.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    I went to college and got my degree in accounting. But I frequently tell people that 75% of what I learned in college won't make you a dime unless you get on Jeopardy. There were so many classes that can best be described as "nice to know". Sure, it's nice to know why everyone is laughing when someone says, "If it ain't baroque, don't fix it" when discussing music at a dinner party, but no one has ever run into my office/cube saying, "Quick! When was the French novelist Gustave Flaubert born." But I still had to pay to learn and then forget that kind of stuff. I could have learned all I needed in a year. That's why VoTech schools are much more efficient. You don't waste time (and money) learning European history to become a plumber. And my plumber makes more than I do.
    The problem here is that many of the instructors at our VoTech's are examples of the old joke - those that can - do, those that can't - teach. It's sad but as I said earlier, GA Power had to start their own in-house apprentice program so that they could have well-trained, reliable, hard working employees. The other pathway for great employees for them is veterans. I volunteer with a group that has some of the GA Power guys come out to volunteer their mobile machine shop and I can tell you that the young guys that are in that apprenticeship are hard working, polite, and know their stuff.
    airslot and Stirling XD like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    There is and has been a problem with student loans going to kids who enroll in degree programs which are worth a roll of toilet paper or less. They graduate with a degree which no employer is looking for. The money to those wanting to take these worthless courses of study should be cut off and there should be absolutely zero hope of the loan programs getting bailed out by the taxpayer.

I'm not against student loans, the money should be there for qualified students wishing to undertake a course of study which will grant them a degree which is in demand by employers.

There's also nothing wrong with joining the military to learn a job skill, earn money, educational benefits and a chance to grow up a bit after high school, that's the route I took.

The colleges and universities should be responsible for the student debt for having such worthless degree programs.
    airslot, M1911A1 and PPS1980 like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    those that can - do, those that can't - teach
    Mike Rowe: This is why we have 1.6 T in student debt-why-i-dress-like-flood-victim-9-1-1994-.png

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    You can make a very good living in the "blue collar" world.

- you make a BETTER living blue collar
    - white collar = DEBT
    - hidden behind the masters dumbgree and professional office is a $100k+ compounding debt
    - and NO the pay don't cover it

- my parents were lawyers
    - they were paying off that law loan until their 50's

- meanwhile the neighborhood handyman and plumbers had stay-at-home-wifes and retired at 50

- never fall for the front... a roofer or plumber is chargin' $150-$200 or more per hour with almost zero overhead... and no debt...

- i mean no disrespect to doctors, lawyers, engineers... just saying blue collar gets paid... we need both... engineer cant build the building without the tradespeople... and a lawyer has no job unless there is a cop to make an arrest..

- as a kid I laughed at construction workers on the side of the road one day... my dad stopped the car "son, how much do you think they get paid to stand there with that sign"...im like "$4 an hour?"... my dad's like "try $75 an hour"... I never laughed at them again... AND it changed my mindset...

:)
    M1911A1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skolnick View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Why I dress like a flood victim (9-1-1994).png 
Views:	5 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	306092
    - ZOMG!
    - SO FUNNY!
    -

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Many jobs now require a bachelors degree for no reason. They don't care what it's for you just have to have one.

My local minor league baseball stadium is hiring ticket booth employees and a bachelors degree is required to even apply for what equates to a cashier's job.

Carvana is hiring a car delivery drive. They want someone with a bachelors degree. It's not even a big rig it's a single car hauler.

These are just 2 examples there are many, many more.

It's insane, they want you to have a 4 year degree that cost $30k+ for menial jobs.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Many jobs now require a bachelors degree for no reason. They don't care what it's for you just have to have one.

My local minor league baseball stadium is hiring ticket booth employees and a bachelors degree is required to even apply for what equates to a cashier's job.

Carvana is hiring a car delivery drive. They want someone with a bachelors degree. It's not even a big rig it's a single car hauler.

It's insane, they want you to have a 4 year degree that cost $30k+ for menial jobs.
    The more jobs that require a college degree the more folks will clamor for free college. The more folks who attend free college the more folks are exposed to the college system of leftist propaganda indoctrination.

Tin foil hat stuff? Maybe, but I believe leftist progressives do not think the same way conservatives do. At least it is my experience that leftist progressives think in sneaky conniving ways to further their long term goal of making everyone think and believe just like they do.
    Novarider, airslot and seeker_two like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post

- a 22 y/o with $55k in college DEBT is likley to make a GOOD SLAVE
    - he will work HARD to pay off that debt
    - its just human resource optimization conditioning for the masses...

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by starlights View Post
    - a 22 y/o with $55k in college DEBT is likley to make a GOOD SLAVE
    - he will work HARD to pay off that debt
    - its just human resource optimization conditioning for the masses

What college is giving away 4 years of schooling for 55K

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links