Dallas Cowboy busted for drugs and gun possession

This is a discussion on Dallas Cowboy busted for drugs and gun possession within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So this guys excuse as to why he had pot and a handgun in his car when he got pulled over was because he and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Dallas Cowboy busted for drugs and gun possession

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar

So this guys excuse as to why he had pot and a handgun in his car when he got pulled over was
    because he and his friends had taken the marijuana out to the gun range the day before and he left it in the car.
    Oh yes, I always get high and play with guns.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cowbo...ug-gun-charges
    ETXhiker, OD*, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

This lends a lot of support to the current research that football causes brain damage, even without suffering concussion. It is called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE. Even one season of playing football, without a diagnosed injury, can cause permanent brain damage.

Or maybe this supports the theory that a lot of football players are just not that smart to begin with. A study of overall intelligence that was specifically designed for NFL players showed that a lot of very successful players really aren't all that smart. Surprisingly, some of the lowest scorers were quarterbacks, including a couple of big names.
    Sister likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Gee, I miss Tom Landry.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    This lends a lot of support to the current research that football causes brain damage, even without suffering concussion. It is called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE. Even one season of playing football, without a diagnosed injury, can cause permanent brain damage.
    I like football.

Or maybe this supports the theory that a lot of football players are just not that smart to begin with. A study of overall intelligence that was specifically designed for NFL players showed that a lot of very successful players really aren't all that smart. Surprisingly, some of the lowest scorers were quarterbacks, including a couple of big names.
    Will you teach me to football?

On a more serious note, football is mostly muscle memory with some cognitive requirements thrown in. Some of my coaches use to name the plays (confusing). The smartest coach I ever had was when I was in 5th grade playing city league football. He had something like five standard offense formations, like the I, pro, single and shotgun, and taught us a simple which instantly let us know whether it was a running play or a passing play, who was getting the ball, and the count.

Example: Run LRB RT 3 means it's a running play with a handoff to the left running back going through the right tackle position on 3. Pass RWR MM 2 means a pass to the right wide receiver to the middle, medium distance, on 2.

Fun times!

I preferred chess and aviation.

Quotes are from The Longest Yard
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Why do so many high paid athletes think they're privileged characters?

And, no, I don't like spectator sports.
    msgt/ret and M1911A1 like this.

Another NFL star lives up to expectations.
    msgt/ret and M1911A1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Next week this genius will be gracing us with his expert political opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    Why do so many high paid athletes think they're privileged characters?

And, no, I don't like spectator sports.
    Because historically, they are.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    As my brother said, "An average NFL career lasts 3.3 years. You have the rest of your life to be a thug."
    Havok and M1911A1 like this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Funny how so many people who get caught drinking or doping can't seem to obey all of the other laws that Average Joe Citizen has to obey. We buy licenses and insurance and don't try to draw a lot of attention to ourselves by blasting our music or acting like jerks. The news paper is full of people who get caught for DUI simply because they didn't have current registration.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Funny how so many people who get caught drinking or doping can't seem to obey all of the other laws that Average Joe Citizen has to obey. We buy licenses and insurance and don't try to draw a lot of attention to ourselves by blasting our music or acting like jerks...
    Some big-salary sports figures, entertainment figures, and business tycoons see themselves as being somehow better than the rest of us, as if their greater incomes indicate their greater human value.
    Almost always, in the cases of these specific egoists, the exact opposite is true. They are indeed jerks. But for the lesson to hit home, they first have to be caught and punished by peace-keepers who are neither "on the take" nor overawed by their self-perceived luminosity.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    ...The news paper is full of ["ordinary"] people who get caught for DUI simply because they didn't have current registration.
    ...And frequently this happens exactly because these people want to be caught.
    Most DUI offenders know that they're doing something wrong, and want to be stopped and paid attention to. They are incapable of controlling their impulses, and want the peace-keepers to do it for them.

(The opinions voiced here are my own, are the result of a lot of life experience, and do not apply to every case.)
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

- lol weed
    - this is not even a crime in CA
    - OMG WEED! lol
    - CA allows 99 plants, per person, per household

- funny how this is still a crime in some states

- anyway, his lawyer will get the charges dismissed or reduced to a fine.. which is a tax-deduction anyway

Quote Originally Posted by starlights View Post
    - lol weed
    - this is not even a crime in CA
    - OMG WEED! lol
    - CA allows 99 plants, per person, per household

- funny how this is still a crime in some states

- anyway, his lawyer will get the charges dismissed or reduced to a fine.. which is a tax-deduction anyway
    He was not in California. However, you are otherwise probably correct.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Ehh just another guy breaking the law this wouldn't have made the news if not for being a sports figure. I dont see where folks are getting the "thinks he is better" or "privileged " angle. From the report all I got was that he wasn't very smart.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    There are about 1700 pro football players. Many of them are stand up people. Some are not.

Pick 1700 people from any occupation in the US. You'll get some misfits.

As for the cognitive test - the Wonderlic test - there are plenty of pro football players that are pretty dang smart. Zeke Elliot scored a 32, for example, and a 32 is the 91st percentile. He ain't no dummy. There are plenty of players that scored higher.

As for Mr. Ross, it appears he likes guns and weed. I'm not a fan of weed, but I am a fan of guns, so he can't be all bad. Seriously, hopefully he gets the chance to straighten things out.
    Doghandler and OD* like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links