David Marshall "Carbine" Williams

This is a discussion on David Marshall "Carbine" Williams within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Finally did something I have wanted to do for awhile, took a road trip to the North Carolina Museum of History to view the Carbine ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 7 Post By msgt/ret
  • 3 Post By OD*
  • 5 Post By airslot
  • 5 Post By Grizzly2

Thread: David Marshall "Carbine" Williams

Finally did something I have wanted to do for awhile, took a road trip to the North Carolina Museum of History to view the Carbine Williams workshop. The complete workshop was moved to the museum in 1994. It is not a very large shop, about the size of a 2 Ĺ car garage and only two machine tools, on the right side is a large milling machine powered by a belt going to an overhead pulley and shaft. In the back is a lathe I could not see how it was powered but I am guessing it used the same type of power. It was interesting seeing all the hand tools and I was surprised at the number of files, there must have been 50 of them lined up on the bench. Also there were many different rifles around the shop all I am guessing were prototypes.

https://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/ex...rbine-williams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams

Here is a picture of the rifles he made in prison, sorry for the quality forgot my camera and had to use my phone instead.

David Marshall "Carbine" Williams-carbinewilliams.jpg
    airslot, OD*, Wolf357 and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Could you imagine telling a warden today, you'd like to work on rifles in the prison machine shop for the war effort?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

They made a movie about his life in 1952. James Stewart played the title role. "Carbine Williams" available on Amazon.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I remember as a youngster in the 50's all of the files my Grandfather had. He was a machinist. I also remember Bill Oglesby who would take in someone wanting to work in his shop as a young gunsmith with a desire to learn. One of the first projects he gave them was learning to use a file.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Sponsored Links