Car guy opinions please. - Page 2

Car guy opinions please.

This is a discussion on Car guy opinions please. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Cypher I used to have a Miata. I carried 1911 in it I had a 2007 Miata for 10 years and also ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Car guy opinions please.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I used to have a Miata. I carried 1911 in it
    I had a 2007 Miata for 10 years and also carried a 1911 in it this one it's my CZ'S that get the job. My love for Miatas helped to get me on the AIWB train as the seats on the old miata made 3:30/4:00 carry uncomfortable for me, too narrow with too much side bolster.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I used to have a Miata. I carried 1911 in it
    Compensating?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

flh
    What is that your trying to be able to do to the vehicle ?
    Rabbit212 likes this.

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    The only thing I'd be worried about is the solid part sliding off of the 4x4's you place underneath. There SHOULD be enough friction to prevent it but it's possible. Especially if you ever needed to go higher and want to use 2 4x4 in height. You could modify his design with permanent guide pins (bolts) sticking out of the bottom of the solid part that line up with holes in the 4x4's to lock them together but I could see that being finicky. Other than that I'd use them

I'd never trust that red and silver contraption. Way to many fail points.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Lol hey that 20 bucks of lumber is holding up houses. Wood cribs for cars have been around since the invention of the automobile heck visit any shipyard and you will see giant ships in drydock siting on wood cribs.
    We use wood to stabilize cars at work too. But all of the weight of the vehicle isn’t being supported by s small section of 2x6. Like I said, it would probably work fine, I just wouldn’t crawl under it myself.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    If I were crawling under the car that will kill me if it falls, Id trust something that is built to hold a certain weight much more than I would the $20 piece of wood from home depot. But it would probably work just fine.
    I’d trust a properly built stack of 4x4, 6x6, etc blocks a LOT more than I’d trust mechanical jack stands.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I’d trust a properly built stack of 4x4, 6x6, etc blocks a LOT more than I’d trust mechanical jack stands.
    But the wood supporting the car in this case wasn’t a 4x4 or 6x6.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    What is that your trying to be able to do to the vehicle ?
    Ehhh basic maintenance underneath oil, tranny, wheel rotation usual stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    But the wood supporting the car in this case wasn’t a 4x4 or 6x6.
    4x4 would be ideal but here's a little video showing just how strong even a 1 inch pine board can be. That's with a much larger span then would be needed for these little stands so a shorter span 2x6 I think would be much stronger. IKEA was terrible!!
    Havok likes this.

flh
    Ehhh basic maintenance underneath oil, tranny, wheel rotation usual stuff.
    Can you get your floor jack under the suspension to lift the vehicle ? Before I installed a vehicle lift in my shop while working on vehicles with little to no frame I used the suspension to lift the vehicle placing jack stands as needed .
    Rabbit212 likes this.

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

4x4 would be ideal but here's a little video showing just how strong even a 1 inch pine board can be. That's with a much larger span then would be needed for these little stands so a shorter span 2x6 I think would be much stronger. IKEA was terrible!!
    Give it a try then!
    Rabbit212 likes this.

i found that my screw type motorcycle jack that has a wide (ie very stable) plates worked very well on my 2001 Miata that I used to own. It was about $70 on Amazon as I recall. I found that pieces of 4x6 timbers worked better than jack stands for that particular vehicle. Just my .02 worth!
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

If the Miata will go up a set of ramps, you could then lift from the frame member , pull the ramps and place the stands.

My Vette won't clear the ramps. I have to lift from the pinch weld behind the front wheel and place the ramp under the tire. Repeat for the other side. Lifting from that point actually lifts both wheels off the ground. I use a slotted poly puck on the jack.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I have in the past lifted low cars by driving them up on a 2x6 ramp. that gains me enough clearance to get my floor jack under. And when lifting a car at its pinch welded seam I have a puck with that seam that fits my floor jack. I do see the thought behind not wanting to be under something supported by 1.5" of wood. but if you used a bigger puck that is slotted and extends out over both 4x4's, now your weight is supported over the support columns. if your support area is only the size of that puck fix a steel plate over the wood but under the puck that spans both 4x4's. The only problem I see is these will lift high enough to remove the wheels, and service the brakes, But I'm not going to fit under with out raising much higher. That's where the ramps come in they lift 8" or so. DR
    Rabbit212 likes this.

I made 4 ramps for my old truck. Used three different lengths of 2x12s bolted together with an taper cut on one edge. Each ramp is as about 2’-6” long.

Put one at each wheel and drive up on it.

I was recently in a new state of the art semi sales service shop that had WiFi wheel necks for each wheel, but one service tech was using 2x12 ramps like I had.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links