Car guy opinions please.

Car guy opinions please.

This is a discussion on Car guy opinions please. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The new Miata I picked up sits a bit lower then my old Miata so much so that my regular floor jack is too tall ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Car guy opinions please.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar

Car guy opinions please.

The new Miata I picked up sits a bit lower then my old Miata so much so that my regular floor jack is too tall to use. This new Miata has the usual pinch weld jack points and only two additional Mazda approved jack points one at the rear in front of the diff and one at the front. The rear jack point works fine the front jack point has had a few Miatas slip off the jack and cause expensive damage and luckily no injuries. This has made me not want to use the front jack point and in addition I would also have to buy a new lower racing type floor jack. Using the pinch weld you now have the jack where you need to place your jack stands so that's a problem. There are some expensive jack stands that help you work around this problem but we talking 500 to 600 bucks for 4 stands and that's a bit hard to swallow. Looking around for a cheaper solution I found this video and I cant think of a reason this wouldn't work. What do you car guys/gals think??
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Senior Moderator
    Rhino ramps for $40. Done.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Rhino ramps for $40. Done.
    Dont like ramps and some stuff I want to keep my car level not lifted at the front. Any thoughts on the wooden jack stands?? Anything you would change on the design?
    They are basically this but in wood.

flh
    Have you seen this guys information ?

http://billswebspace.com/Raise_Your_Miata.pdf
    Rabbit212 likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

If I were crawling under the car that will kill me if it falls, Id trust something that is built to hold a certain weight much more than I would the $20 piece of wood from home depot. But it would probably work just fine.
    Rabbit212 and ShooterGranny like this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Clever idea. Looks good to me.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Dont like ramps and some stuff I want to keep my car level not lifted at the front. Any thoughts on the wooden jack stands?? Anything you would change on the design?
    They are basically this but in wood.
    In the odd circumstance that requires my car to be level, I still use ramps up front but then use a floor jack and axle stands in the rear where there is more clearance.
    Rabbit212, OD*, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Woah, the way it bows out under load. Looks like it's just dying to split a weld and fall on your head.

I've never given jacking up cars much thought. I use a small block of wood on a low profile "Racing Jack" to protect the car, then position jack stands under the frame and drop it back on.
    Takes seconds, its safe, why make it so complicated?
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Have you seen this guys information ?

http://billswebspace.com/Raise_Your_Miata.pdf
    Yes very familiar with the article unfortunately that's a first generation miata and alot has changed I'm the newer fourth generation miata undercarriage that the information doesn't totally apply.

Quote Originally Posted by SunTsu View Post
    Woah, the way it bows out under load. Looks like it's just dying to split a weld and fall on your head.

I've never given jacking up cars much thought. I use a small block of wood on a low profile "Racing Jack" to protect the car, then position jack stands under the frame and drop it back on.
    Takes seconds, its safe, why make it so complicated?
    If I try and use a jack in any but the designated spots I will cause damage to the vehicle. The sub frame is not a jacking point the axles are no longer lifting points the diff
    is no longer a lifting point etc etc . Yeah my ford ranger I could jack up all over the place this car i can not. Not trying to make it complicated trying to work with what I have.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.

Just buy a Glock 19
    Rabbit212, M1911A1, baren and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    If I were crawling under the car that will kill me if it falls, Id trust something that is built to hold a certain weight much more than I would the $20 piece of wood from home depot. But it would probably work just fine.
    Lol hey that 20 bucks of lumber is holding up houses. Wood cribs for cars have been around since the invention of the automobile heck visit any shipyard and you will see giant ships in drydock siting on wood cribs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Just buy a Glock 19
    I would but this car is so small I can't pull of the mandatory tactical backflip in it.
    Attachment 306420
    baren, Cypher and ShooterGranny like this.

The large pucks in the link look like they are made for Miatas. https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=668923
    The ebay link didn't work so you may have to search for them.

Miatas have been lifted by that thin body seam for years BUT, on older models I've had to open up the water drain points for the doors when they were damaged and pinched shut by years of lifting. When you hear water sloshing around in your door, you'll know why now. lol. So the slotted puck looks like the better idea than his flat puck. Especially if you locate the reinforced jacking points.

I've used pieces of 2x4 for years when putting Miatas up on electric lifts. Now sometimes a piece of 2/4 will crack and split and it gets pitched for another. If you want to use wood maybe use tight grained wood. But really, the puck is taking the stress and force, so you really shouldn't split the wood. Just pick good pieces if you build these. Obviously avoid knots and any piece that looks unstable. His stands look like a good idea for a low vehicle.

Another thing to consider when lifting any vehicle with jacks is to secure the brakes. I like to use a device we use when doing alignments on a rack. One end goes to the brake pedal and the other to the front seat and you have a flat piece that slides on this rod that locks your adjustment. This way the car should not roll at all.

if you carefully lift from the front cross member if that is in fact the spot they are talking about and if you do that and if your jack captures and secures that jacking spot securely, you should be ok.

I would think the issues with falling off the front jacking point pertain to folks who forget to lock the wheels and the car rolls and shifts - letting it fall of the jack and probably causing damage. Also, if the jack they are using just does not mate too well up front, it could slide off. I can't picture the front jacking point in my mind. Also, I'm retired and haven't lifted a Miata in a few years now. Cool cars. I love the older ones but the new ones look sharp.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

I would but this car is so small I can't pull of the mandatory tactical backflip in it.
    Attachment 306420
    I used to have a Miata. I carried 1911 in it
    Rabbit212 and Struckat like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links