Piracy on the sea coming to the western hemisphere - Page 2

Piracy on the sea coming to the western hemisphere

This is a discussion on Piracy on the sea coming to the western hemisphere within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not surprising given the location in relation to Central America. Piracy has also been a big problem in the Caribbean for over 30 years. Just ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Piracy on the sea coming to the western hemisphere

Not surprising given the location in relation to Central America. Piracy has also been a big problem in the Caribbean for over 30 years. Just my .02 worth!
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; November 13th, 2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Rabbit212, airslot and Havok like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Nothing new.
    My Aunt and Uncle lived on a boat in the mid 80's out on the West Coast. They tell about being boarded one night off the coast of Peru. When the boarders were met with an 870, they decided they had the wrong boat.
    My Uncle always said he would never go south of the U.S. Border without proper arms.
    msgt/ret, airslot and Rabbit212 like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Not surprising given the location in relation to Central America. Piracy has also been a big problem in the Caribbean for over 30 years. Just my .02 worth!
    Friend of mine worked on a dive charter boat in the southern Bahamas. He grew tired of pulling watch with an AK-47 to keep the "visitors" away in the wee hours.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I used to build golf courses. In the winter it was kind of hard to do some of the things that needed to be done. So we cut way back. In 1978 several of us rented a sailboat to sail the Caribbean for the winter. The first thing out of the boat renters mouth was "What Kind Of Gun Are You Carrying"? We did not know what he meant. He explained to us that piracy was alive and well in the Caribbean. He WOULD NOT rent his boat to a unarmed individual. I had a SKS and a Colt Python. He said that would do for a start.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I feel pretty safe here. Unless they make it up the Missouri River.

I hope they remember that we are better at it.

Piracy on the sea coming to the western hemisphere-1a346fd1-687c-4688-8924-48d7c288bcf8.jpeg
    MMinSC, airslot, Sister and 2 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I feel pretty safe here. Unless they make it up the Missouri River.
    Probably can't make it past the Asian carp.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    jmf, I'd prefer the M134. A few quick bursts would shred that boat.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Just saw this story about pirates in the Gulf of Mexico attacking oil platforms and supply ships.
    Guess it is not just in Somalia anymore.

https://gcaptain.com/pirates-attack-...-injuring-two/
    Coming to?

When I lived in Tampa in the mid eighties the standing rule was you didn't go past the three mile limit without a gun on your boat
    airslot and TimGunn like this.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Self reliance is even more important on the water. 12 gauge and Glock 17 will keep all but the very determined away. Just never know who is in the oncoming vessel or what their intentions are.
    airslot likes this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I would feel safe in a fully restored and functional PT Boat.
    Oh Yea!

In 1969 while serving in Vietnam I saw armed truck convoys delivering heavy supplies to outlying fire bases and outposts. This required travel on roads having varying degrees of maintenance, frequently pretty slow going through areas with multiple places for a possible ambush. Trucks usually had a mounted M2 Browning .50, frequently with a couple of mounted M60 7.62 MG's. Anti-mine rollers were at the front of the convoy to clear the road of mines.

Over time another little wrinkle was added to convoy defense. Sides of the truck beds were fitted with armor plate, and claymore anti-personnel mines were mounted to direct their fire outward as a means of dealing with direct assaults.

For those unfamiliar with the claymore mine, it is a directional mine, roughly rectangular in a kidney-shape with a convex side facing the intended target area. About a pound of plastic explosive and a couple of pounds of steel balls (similar to a really big shotgun). Properly deployed the claymore would cover an arc approx. 100 yards wide at 100 yards downrange. Usually command-detonated using electric blasting caps in one of the two cap wells capable of taking various detonators.

Claymores were widely used for perimeter defense as well as when conducting an ambush on hostile personnel, again command-detonated using a hand-held device known as the "clacker". When setting the claymore mines (folding steel stakes on the bottom) we could also rig a trip-wire to a friction cap in the second cap well, which provided an effective defense against infiltrators. Claymores could be ground-mounted when the area provides a clear field of fire, or mounted on tree trunks to allow for better angles of fire.

No reason that a cargo, container, or tanker ship could not be fitted with similar defenses.

Then there was FuGas. A 55-gallon drum filled with jellied gasoline over a plywood pusher wad at the bottom, having a charge underneath to detonate on command, thus projecting the FuGas mixture outward in a blazing arc of sticky burning gasoline. Target area determined the angle at which to set the barrels into the ground.

There are any number of proven devices that could easily be adapted to close-in ship defense against raiding vessels.

Off the Somali coast most of the pirate vessels operate from a larger "mother" ship. I understand that it is not unusual for satellite surveillance to identify the swarms of smaller boats and track them back to the "mother" ship, then target the ship for airstrike by manned warplanes or armed drones. With a little patience and good intelligence defenders can take out the "nest" rather than simply engage numerous small craft. No reason that similar surveillance can't be used to identify the bases of operations for these Gulf pirates.

If those pirates ever decide to predate on fishing boats on the coastal bayous of the Gulf Coast they may have a very short life span! Swamp justice on the Delta tends to be very swift and pirate bodies not likely to be found! Just ask any Cajun if in doubt!
    retired badge 1 and airslot like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    If those pirates ever decide to predate on fishing boats on the coastal bayous of the Gulf Coast they may have a very short life span! Swamp justice on the Delta tends to be very swift and pirate bodies not likely to be found! Just ask any Cajun if in doubt!
    Well fed gators...
    msgt/ret, 5lima30ret and airslot like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    In all seriousness, I read this article in my news feed and think itís only a matter of time that somebody getís shot. Between the guns that Eric Holder gave the cartels and the guns that the American People around the gulf have itís a situation just waiting to happen, wonít be long.

I donít see our wonderful president (and I mean this, I like him) standing by for this mess. They wonít be pirates for long, they will be somebodies Mrs. in a jail cell or gunpowder stuffed fish bait.

Oh and don't forget the Clintons.
    Luke 22:36
    Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links