Were your parents proud of your profession?

This is a discussion on Were your parents proud of your profession? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My parents could never understand why I obtained a master's degree and went off to be an oilfield diver (it's a long complicated story). Whenever ...

View Poll Results: Were your parents pleased with your chosen profession?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my parents were pleased with my profession.

40 66.67%
  • My parents were neutral about my profession. Neither pleased nor displeased.

7 11.67%
  • No, my parents were not pleased with my profession.

5 8.33%
  • I don't know whether my parents were pleased with my profession.

3 5.00%
  • Other?

5 8.33%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Were your parents proud of your profession?

My parents could never understand why I obtained a master's degree and went off to be an oilfield diver (it's a long complicated story). Whenever I came home when I was diving in the oil patch, my friend's parents would ask me, "When are you going to get a real job and quit this diving?" I know my parents thought I should have been a doctor or a lawyer.

The meme below has floated around the diving industry for years, initially on T shirts that I remember seeing more than 30 years ago. Perhaps similar designs have floated around other professions, too?

At any rate, I'm curious as to how many of our members here had parents who were pleased with what they chose to do to make a living?

Were your parents proud of your profession?-diver.jpg
    Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

No, I was raised to be a fundamentalist protestant minister. To quote my mother, "He joined the Navy and went to hell."
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    No, I was raised to be a fundamentalist protestant minister. To quote my mother, "He joined the Navy and went to hell."
    Thanks! At least I am not alone...

Voted for yes, but it has little to do with the profession, but the job performance. They never cared what field we all wandered off to, but they expected us to rise to the top and be leaders in whatever we did.
    G26Raven, M1911A1, GpTom and 2 others like this.

I work in our family business so I hope so lol. Cool profession you're in. I have a good friend who started doing commercial diving, eventually bought out his boss and has done EXTREMELY well for himself. Gotta make hay where you find it.
    G26Raven, GpTom and airslot like this.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    I ran my own business for 26 years (a motorcycle shop) and just went into semi retirement last year. I still work on bikes for friends at home. My parents were proud that I was a business owner. That being said...if I had it to do all over again. I would have worked for the federal government and been staring at a fat pension by now.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I work in our family business so I hope so lol. Cool profession you're in. I have a good friend who started doing commercial diving, eventually bought out his boss and has done EXTREMELY well for himself. Gotta make hay where you find it.
    I left the oil patch in 1983 after 7 years and worked for a couple of diving equipment manufacturers before starting a consulting business that served both the sport and commercial diving industries. I did diving accident investigation, expert witness work in diving accident litigation, wrote textbooks for both sport and commercial diving, did topside and underwater photography and video. I have been retired since 2014.
    flh, msgt/ret, Pete63 and 3 others like this.

I donít think my parents think less of me because of my chosen career path. Whether or not they are proud, I donít really know. Itís not something I really considered.
    G26Raven likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Mom and Dad were both pleased that I joined the Navy. Dad was happy for me, despite dropping out of college to join, since he was on a carrier in WWII. Mom, however, wasn't too keen on me volunteering for Submarines, especially on the heels of my brother volunteering to fly helicopters in Viet Nam, and my brother-in-law being killed over there. She once commented, "Why can't I have two normal sons?" I think that was about the time that Desert Storm broke out, and since I was at sea, she was worried that we would be in the fray. When I got back from deployment, I explained to her that our boat was a Ballistic Missile Sub, and if we were over there, we were too close.

My mom passed when I was only 13 but my dad was quite pleased to drive me to the USAF recruiterís office but he did inform me that if I joined the Army instead he would put his foot where the sun doesnít shine. He was an Army WWII vet but I had an uncle in the AAF and he said my uncle far better than he did. The best decision I ever made was staying until I had enough years to retire.
    G26Raven, Pete63, M1911A1 and 7 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

you make my open water cert look like a big wheel lol!!! I've blown a ton of bubbles but all rec diving, I have a ton of respect for the commercial guys, margins of error are razor thin and the price of failure is extremely high. I'm a sissy.... I won't get in water that is less than 70 degrees or less than 50' viz... you commercial guys dive in stuff I wouldn't throw my worst enemy into. I can understand why someone who had no idea what all is involved wouldn't understand your chosen profession but from someone who does I think it's both very cool and impressive... it's not an easy way to make a living.
    msgt/ret, G26Raven, Havok and 3 others like this.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

I voted "other" as my Mom wanted me to be in a more high brow profession she could brag about to others, she was a materialistic person. My Dad on the other hand envied me doing something I really enjoyed as he was never able to do that because, well, see above.
    G26Raven and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    you make my open water cert look like a big wheel lol!!! I've blown a ton of bubbles but all rec diving, I have a ton of respect for the commercial guys, margins of error are razor thin and the price of failure is extremely high. I'm a sissy.... I won't get in water that is less than 70 degrees or less than 50' viz... you commercial guys dive in stuff I wouldn't throw my worst enemy into. I can understand why someone who had no idea what all is involved wouldn't understand your chosen profession but from someone who does I think it's both very cool and impressive... it's not an easy way to make a living.
    Danger is no stranger, we dive at 5....Actually, I know more guys who were killed in automobile accidents than in diving accidents. I had my share of close calls, but fortunately I was never injured. Knowing when to say, "No, I am not going to make this dive." saved my butt more than anything else.
    Pete63, msgt/ret, Havok and 3 others like this.

I can totally believe that... my friend and the people who work for him are consummate professionals. They're commitment to process, safety, and maintenance is as serious as any I have ever met.

My mother wanted me to be a college professor. My father wanted me to be a success in business. I ended up as a little of both.
    And, yes, they both did finally express pride in my accomplishments.

I hold a metaphorical Black Belt in English grammar and a Green Belt in military history, but no college degree in anything.
    I have a background in art and design, and I taught art (techniques and tools) to our island's grade-school kids.
    I ran my own very successful leather shop for about 25 years.

Then I was "the other partner" in an electronic-chassis manufacturing business for 20 years: He was the President and Janitor, and I was everything else in-between.
    For a customer, I designed, and we built, the first portable computer using Apple internals, long before Apple ever thought of it. It was not a commercial success, but it certainly was fun to have done it.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links