Feral Hogs - Page 2

Feral Hogs

This is a discussion on Feral Hogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If ya dont live in the country most people have absolutely no idea how dangerous these critters are. They grow tusks, cutters, and they know ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Feral Hogs

If ya dont live in the country most people have absolutely no idea how dangerous these critters are. They grow tusks, cutters, and they know how to use them. They tear up fields and damage all kinds of equipment .... they are a nuisance!
    airslot, ETXhiker and MMinSC like this.

These things are terrible on wildlife and farms. Yes a 9mm will kill them just fine but the bigger the better. A 300blk out is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockymonster likes this.

Nothing meaner in these parts than an old sow with a bunch of little ones. You get one accurate shot after that the rest are jigging and jogging at 100 mpg....LOL
    msgt/ret, airslot and ETXhiker like this.

Lead Moderator
    Tusks are not razor sharp unless you have an exceptionally dull razor. Tusks are basically triangular in cross section and none of the angles are acute enough to be "razor sharp."

Tusks arent sharp? Where did that idea come from? Where we shoot them in Texas the hog dogs have Kevlar vests. Some of them get torn up completely. I've seen several hog dogs killed when they got slashed from one end to the other and their guts fall out.

I know several people with scars on their legs. Those two tusks rubbing together get sharp enough that sliding your finger down one will open you up the same as a razor.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Distinguished Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Tusks arent sharp? Where did that idea come from? Where we shoot them in Texas the hog dogs have Kevlar vests. Some of them get torn up completely. I've seen several hog dogs killed when they got slashed from one end to the other and their guts fall out.

I know several people with scars on their legs. Those two tusks rubbing together get sharp enough that sliding your finger down one will open you up the same as a razor.
    As I stated, "Tusks are not razor sharp unless you have an exceptionally dull razor." You can slash open a dog with a dull machete that isn't "razor sharp." You take a narrow edge and with a sweeping motion and a couple hundred pounds of quick thrust and it will cut, but not because it is particularly sharp. It is an edge, no doubt, but you won't find anybody that is able to shave with one like you would a razor.

I do hog control on a dozen different properties here in Texas hunting hogs and handling killed hogs on a very regular basis. Never once has one of the tusks cut me or have I taken precautions to keep that from happening. They are just not that sharp.
    M1911A1 and tns0038 like this.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Lead Moderator
    do hog control on a dozen different properties here in Texas hunting hogs and handling killed hogs on a very regular basis. Never once has one of the tusks cut me or have I taken precautions to keep that from happening. They are just not that sharp.
    Your hogs are dull then. Here in Arkansas, not so dull.
    If you mess with them much at some point you'll end up bleeding and that's sharp enough.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

I've trapped untold numbers of hogs over the years and have only encountered one that intended to attack me. I drove up on a trap with a good size sow in it, and when I approached the trap, a big boar burst from the underbrush and intended to defend his gal no matter what. He eventually was stopped with a 45Colt, but not before chasing me around the gator a couple of times and destroying a front fender. The tusks make contact every time they open/close their mouth, and they are honed to a sharp edge. Older hogs wear their tusks down by constant rooting, but a young hog has some dangerous weapons available. Even with "dull" tusks, even a small hog can open you up with little effort. They are dangerous enough that I no longer run my traps alone.
    airslot and MMinSC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    Is 9mm not enough to deal with one of these things? I assume a nice 180gr .40 S&W be better.
    I've killed 2 with a Speer Gold Dot 124 gr 9mm in the 100-125 lb range. When the boars get to 300 lb, range I"ll use nothing less than a 44 mag.
    5lima30ret and msgt/ret like this.

I shot a lone javelin with a bow in AZ. Its tusks were all worn down. Definitely not sharp. Our assumption is it was an old pig and had been pushed out of the herd.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I used to help the US Army Corps of Engineers trap feral hogs. My experience with them was that they can be very dangerous if you get in their way when they are frightened. You also don't want to fall down near them. They usually try to run away but sometimes get excited and will run toward you. They can be very fast and are very powerful. I have only used 12 gauge 00 Buck at close range to kill them and it was very effective. I think they are very intelligent and very wild and should not be underestimated if you are near them on foot.
    PS: Sorry about wearing out "very". It just came out that way.
    Last edited by nj709; December 3rd, 2019 at 09:24 AM.
    msgt/ret, airslot, MMinSC and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Anyone know if there are hogs in West Texas?
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Anyone know if there are hogs in West Texas?
    You will only find liberal hogs in west Texas.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Met a couple of hogs in Abilene one "happy hour" back in the eighties.
    Even I wasn't drunk enough, and yes they did look like they could cause some damage.
    flh, Geezer and airslot like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links