Feral Hogs

Feral Hogs

This is a discussion on Feral Hogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-kil...121726181.html...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Feral Hogs

Feral Hogs

Nix
    Feral hogs have been spotted around the borders of my home state recently, even the Canadian border.

The second I hear about them being here at home, daddy's gonna be hunting for BBQ.......

Their thick as molasses around here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feral Hogs-20191126_081345_1574777734063.jpg  

airslot, ETXhiker and msgt/ret like this.

Nix
    I put some molasses in my BBQ sauce........coincidence?
    Struckat and M1911A1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Feral hogs have been spotted around the borders of my home state recently, even the Canadian border.

The second I hear about them being here at home, daddy's gonna be hunting for BBQ.......
    30-30 minimum. They’re tough.

Cook them thoroughly, too.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

VIP Member
    I feel lucky because the most dangerous animals that comes out of the wooded area near my house are foxes and on rare occasion a coyote.
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.,,,,,,,,,,,,, Theodore Roosevelt

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    30-30 minimum. They’re tough.

Cook them thoroughly, too.
    I've killed hundreds of them with 5.56. I use to hunt them by helicopter on a buddy's ranch in Texas that was infested by them.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Yup, I enjoy night hunting in east Texas.
    I have had good luck with my Henry Big Boy in .44 mag.
    Those dang things cause millions of dollars in damage to property down here each year.
    Sad story buy quite unusual for them to attack the woman like that.
    Only times I ever had them attack is when I am trying to kill them, they are downright dangerous when wounded.
    airslot, TSKnight and MMinSC like this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    I have a bunch of them that visit my land. On the rare occasions that I see them, they have always run away. But I always carry a pistol when I go walking around, mainly to protect my dogs.
    airslot, tns0038 and M1911A1 like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Yup, I enjoy night hunting in east Texas.
    I have had good luck with my Henry Big Boy in .44 mag.
    Those dang things cause millions of dollars in damage to property down here each year.
    Sad story buy quite unusual for them to attack the woman like that.
    Only times I ever had them attack is when I am trying to kill them, they are downright dangerous when wounded.
    I’ve hunted wild boar for over 30 years. I’ve killed over 100 of those “critters”. Florida has a large population of them, and I’m happy about it for one reason; they are taste.

Wild boar, are typically non aggressive to humans, unless you engage them, and I suspect she tried to “shew” them away, and the hogs turned on her. Unfortunately,

Like Cowboy stated, this is a sad story, but they can be very dangerous, especially in a group, and I’d recommend not approaching a pack of them without a firearm of proper size for dealing with them.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    While rare, things like this do happen and may become more prevelent as the population grows. From what I've seen and read, population control seems to be pretty tough to maintain.

Hunted Havlina in Texas in the early 80's with a .357mag Blackhawk and a Colt Walker clone. That was a good time.

The first feral hogs I hunted were in Kentucky. Had planned to use a ground blind until the land owner heard about it. He brought out his elevated stand for me to use.
    He told me if I died on his place, his cousin (my Ex) would probably feed HIM to the hogs!
    He stayed with me the first morning. We had a group come in and I took a nice sized boar. As soon as it went down, the other's when after it instead of running from the shot.
    Made a believer out of me! Take enough gun and don't be down where they can get to you because to them, everything within reach is food.
    ETXhiker, M1911A1 and airslot like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    There is so much wrong with this story. I have now ready several version. The victim had a serious/significant head wound. Where did that come from? She died as a result of bleeding out from animal bites, but there were no witnesses to the event. So the determination was by forensics. Okay.

Looking at the images, I see no sign of hogs (rooting, droppings). Maybe they found footprints? Even so, they would only be an indicator of the presence of hogs.

So how were hogs ID'd?
    That would be a fast ID on a saliva analysis, assuming they did one. Bite mark patterns? That would be interesting that the Chambers County ME would have that information and experience to distinguish them from the bite mark patterns of other critters.

I can find only 4 know deaths attributed to feral hogs, so this is exceptionally rare in the US. Hogs typically either run away from humans or ignore them. That the caretaker parked and was attacked between her car and the door seems really odd given the short distance. How did she pull up and not see a large group of feral hogs right there? It would be equally odd for her to pull up and have the hogs NOT run away.

Interesting that nobody reported hearing any screaming. If the woman was conscious when set upon by hogs, you can bet she would have been screaming and screaming a lot. So maybe she fell, hit her head and was unconscious and the hogs attempted to scavenge her? IDK, many odd things about this story.

The interview with the hog hunter Cajun Bob Thornberry was just outright stupid. He displays a trophy hog skull with abnormally large tusks and claims that the tusks are razor sharp. That is a load of crap. Tusks are not razor sharp unless you have an exceptionally dull razor. Tusks are basically triangular in cross section and none of the angles are acute enough to be "razor sharp."
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    There is so much wrong with this story. I have now ready several version. The victim had a serious/significant head wound. Where did that come from? She died as a result of bleeding out from animal bites, but there were no witnesses to the event. So the determination was by forensics. Okay.

Looking at the images, I see no sign of hogs (rooting, droppings). Maybe they found footprints? Even so, they would only be an indicator of the presence of hogs.

So how were hogs ID'd?
    That would be a fast ID on a saliva analysis, assuming they did one. Bite mark patterns? That would be interesting that the Chambers County ME would have that information and experience to distinguish them from the bite mark patterns of other critters.

I can find only 4 know deaths attributed to feral hogs, so this is exceptionally rare in the US. Hogs typically either run away from humans or ignore them. That the caretaker parked and was attacked between her car and the door seems really odd given the short distance. How did she pull up and not see a large group of feral hogs right there? It would be equally odd for her to pull up and have the hogs NOT run away.

Interesting that nobody reported hearing any screaming. If the woman was conscious when set upon by hogs, you can bet she would have been screaming and screaming a lot. So maybe she fell, hit her head and was unconscious and the hogs attempted to scavenge her? IDK, many odd things about this story.

The interview with the hog hunter Cajun Bob Thornberry was just outright stupid. He displays a trophy hog skull with abnormally large tusks and claims that the tusks are razor sharp. That is a load of crap. Tusks are not razor sharp unless you have an exceptionally dull razor. Tusks are basically triangular in cross section and none of the angles are acute enough to be "razor sharp."
    Ask the Authorities and Journalist none of which were me
    MMinSC likes this.

That's just weird.

Is 9mm not enough to deal with one of these things? I assume a nice 180gr .40 S&W be better.
    Last edited by m5215; November 26th, 2019 at 06:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links