You never know what will turn up in a pawn shop...

This is a discussion on You never know what will turn up in a pawn shop... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was right up the road from me. A local pawn shop had to bring in the army to dispose of a live mortar round ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: You never know what will turn up in a pawn shop...

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar

This was right up the road from me. A local pawn shop had to bring in the army to dispose of a live mortar round someone brought in.

https://www.heraldbanner.com/news/ar...5a75635ec.html
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    So many questions.....
    ETXhiker and airslot like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Ive been wondering where I put that.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Wow the guy had no idea what he had.
    We almost had another Darwin moment here.
    I think a half a mile from any homes is a safe distance to detonate the mortar.
    I would have liked to see that.
    I love big bangs.
    ETXhiker and airslot like this.

Following the detonation, several people on social media questioned the decision to perform the operation at that location, which is less than half of a mile away from several residences.
    Of course they did. Snowflakes Forever!
    Sister, MMinSC, M1911A1 and 4 others like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Times would have to be pretty hard for me to start pawning my medium weight ordnance.
    gasmitty, Nix, OldVet and 12 others like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Wow the guy had no idea what he had.
    We almost had another Darwin moment here.
    I think a half a mile from any homes is a safe distance to detonate the mortar.
    I would have liked to see that.
    I love big bangs.
    Im sure people on social media watched a movie where a bomb cleared out a city block and now they are all experts on SDZs.
    Nifty and ETXhiker like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Remember this one ? These guys ought to get together...

"A villager in China unknowingly used a hand grenade to crack walnuts for a quarter century, only realizing his potentially fatal mistake when he spotted the grenade on a government flyer."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...de-crack-nuts/
    airslot, scottync, MMinSC and 2 others like this.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

He is extremely lucky it did not go off while he had it; live munitions are nothing to toy with. Flew with another engineer at Travis who only had a thumb and three fingers on his right hand, he lost the other finger when a 20MM HEI rolled off a table and detonated when it hit the floor.
    MMinSC, ETXhiker, airslot and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

The mortar was safely detonated inside of a containment device shortly after 11 p.m. Reports came in that the loud boom could be heard as far away as Campbell.

A small crater was visible at the back end of the property on Tuesday morning.

Following the detonation, several people on social media questioned the decision to perform the operation at that location, which is less than half of a mile away from several residences. A request for comment on that decision had not been returned as of Tuesday morning.
    Come on, people.
    Sister likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Times would have to be pretty hard for me to start pawning my medium weight ordnance.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

So you are saying it is no longer available?
    Sister, MMinSC and ETXhiker like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Should have saved it for the 4th of July?
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

From the size of the crater I'd guess it was a small 60mm. My 81mm made bigger holes than that. Never having been trained with mortars, I found myself to be the last one on the mortar team who'd ever fired one when the TET offensive began. The rest of the team had rotated home. Being the only guy with any experience at all, they would wake me up every hour throughout the night to fire a HE round anywhere I wanted into the tree lines. I wasn't allowed to leave the pits. I was brought food for almost two weeks iirr. So I learned by experiment playing with elevation and powder charge. Once I got the trajectory and range I wanted, I left a few set up that way out in the open and went back to sleep for an hour. Guess what 85% humidity does to the powder bags on a mortar round. The next one out the tube had that sick, weak sound of one that is not going far. I've seen 81's hanging off the edge of the tube. I've learned to hate that sound. Anyway this 60mm made it over the wall, just past the corner bunker and hit maybe 30 yards from their position. I don't think I've ever felt worse in my life. Luckily no one was hurt and this teenager learned another practical lesson about keeping your powder dry. Something I'd never even thought about before.

Shortly thereafter, a major who had used them in the Dominican Republic set us up with aiming stakes and turned us into a crack team. We had two 60's and two 81's. I still have an old photo of a large pile of empty canisters we fired in the months after TET. During the 4th of July I still watch the trial of the round going up in the air just like I did with so many illumination rounds.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Over a decade ago now, but in my little town in MD. the police got a call about a rocket leaning against a telephone pole one night. It was a live AT4. Engineers blew it up in the landfill...Shame, we shoulda just fired it :)
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links