UFC - random thought

UFC - random thought

This is a discussion on UFC - random thought within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So ESPN is on TV at the place I eat breakfast at. The volume is down on the TVs but they have music playing in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: UFC - random thought

UFC - random thought

So ESPN is on TV at the place I eat breakfast at. The volume is down on the TVs but they have music playing in the place instead. While I'm here I catch up on everything that happened the day before.

The just ran a piece on UFC and it got me thinking, how brutal or barbaric this is. I know boxing is violent, wrestling is "fake", but this UFC stuff is downright senseless if you really think about it. I mean does anyone get their kicks (no pun intended) watching two men, or women, locked with the other and then repeatedly punch other other in the head?

To each is own and if you are into this stuff ok.

I have, watched maybe 1/2 of one match and never got into it. In 30 years we will probably start seeing stories about former UFC fighters with all kinds of brain problems.
    OD* likes this.

I do not follow it but I like it. I grew up watching boxing with my Dad and uncles. That was back when boxing was easily accessible to watch- Tuesday Night Fights, Friday Night Fights, HBO had boxing every weekend and few fights were PPV. The free stuff slowly went away and boxing became more effort to follow so I stopped. Watched UFC a bit. I have no problem with the violence. People have always enjoyed those type of sports.

Will we see health problems later on from UFC fighters? Sure. We already do in boxing and hockey. It is not just football, we just hear about football more because the players are more pampered.

If that is how someone chooses to make a living, it is not for me to judge.
    Struckat, Pete63 and Texron like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Watched it for years, far better than boxing.
    Havok, seeker_two, mrtimm and 1 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

flh
    I've been watching it from the very beginning , my favorite sport , much more entertaining than tennis or golf , zzzzzz
    Texron likes this.

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

Ex Member
    I do not care watch it, but I do not condemn it. I figure that whatever two consenting adults choose to legally do is not for me to judge other than to choose to watch or not watch it.
    Last edited by 1942bull; November 29th, 2019 at 12:39 PM.
    PEF and Hoganbeg like this.

UFC is much more fun to watch than boxing in my opinion.
    seeker_two and Texron like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Bread and games for the masses.

I have no interest in watching UFC fights.
    montejames likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm in the same camp as 1942bull. Not my thing, but if two adults want to engage in that sport, fine by me.

I can't watch boxing or UCF, knowing what I now know about CTE and cumulative brain injury.

And every time a football player takes a hit to the head, I find myself cringing for the guy. I really enjoy football, played it as a kid, and especially enjoy watching college football. But it turns my stomach whenever I see a player get a hit to the head or a concussion. I don't want to see any players get injured.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    So ESPN is on TV at the place I eat breakfast at. The volume is down on the TVs but they have music playing in the place instead. While I'm here I catch up on everything that happened the day before.

The just ran a piece on UFC and it got me thinking, how brutal or barbaric this is. I know boxing is violent, wrestling is "fake", but this UFC stuff is downright senseless if you really think about it. I mean does anyone get their kicks (no pun intended) watching two men, or women, locked with the other and then repeatedly punch other other in the head?

To each is own and if you are into this stuff ok.

I have, watched maybe 1/2 of one match and never got into it. In 30 years we will probably start seeing stories about former UFC fighters with all kinds of brain problems.
    Look at it this way. They're doing what they want to do. After all, it's only a job. They could have picked other occupations but decided upon the UFC. Their decision to take.
    Texron likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I only wonder why people gleefully watch 350+ pound monsters crush 200 pound quarterbacks with a fury that rivals anything that ever happens in a ring.

I will relate what one guy said to me. "Boxing is a long-standing joke...shysters "running" shysters while bookies and "promoters" rake in the cash from their cows."

I expect one of the main attractions of UFC is that is hasn't been overtaken (yet) by all the shysters who arrange the matches to suit the bookies.

Just my opinion though.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Boxing used to be a regulated sport that was kept that way by a governing board. They made sure that a Fighter coming up was not put in the ring with someone that grossly out matched them, and on the other side of that coin made sure that a talented fighter could move up through the ranks. That ended in the 80's when One or Two promoters owned all the fighters and the governing boards! It went from a sport to being Sports Entertainment! There is no longer any fairness, only How Much money Can I get out of this guy! Promotion is not based on talent but on money draws.
    this shows up again and again with fighters like Mike Tyson. He is so mentally damaged that he can't function with out anti Psychotic drugs every day. They would pull him off the drugs, pay off a med board to clear him to fight, and then act surprised when he bites an ear off!

Now the UFC started as a one man show from its beginning. The fighters either work for the UFC or they don't fight. Again it's all about money, not about who is best! It's Sports Entertainment not a sport!

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I used to watch UFC long ago before it became mixed martial arts. It was fun watching 2 different disciplines go head to head.

I think the saddest thing is that something like UFC actually attracts an audience. There seems to be no limit to the coarsening of American tastes. Bread and circuses, indeed.

I followed heavy weight boxing from the 1950s until the Holyfield - Tyson Bite Fight. I gave up on boxing. I tried to watch UFC, but it repulses me.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

flh
    Alternative programming https://www.mylifetime.com/shows
    MMinSC likes this.

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links