Acquisition Cost..a fallacy?

This is a discussion on Acquisition Cost..a fallacy? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It cracks me up when I read/hear about folks comparing the cost of gun “a” vs gun”b”. Like $100-$200 difference is a huge deal breaker ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Acquisition Cost..a fallacy?

VIP Member

It cracks me up when I read/hear about folks comparing the cost of gun “a” vs gun”b”. Like $100-$200 difference is a huge deal breaker to them. The reality is, that for most of us, the cost of the gun is irrelevant when we take into consideration the amount of money we spend on ammo we (quickly) shoot through gun “a” or “b”. Our “investment” in the acquisition cost of a firearm (in most cases) is actually the least costly part of the whole thing. Add in the initial break in or “testing” ammo cost, accessories etc., the acquisition cost difference between two similar guns can be meaningless.

Most of the time, the difference between two similar guns may only be the cost of a few boxes of SD ammo, yet folks often agonize over or become incensed over the cost difference. So what?! It’s a couple boxes of ammo. Put it in perspective!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

I sold my Ruger No.1 in .458 Lott and a case of ammo. I got more for the ammo than the gun.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I sold my Ruger No.1 in .458 Lott and a case of ammo. I got more for the ammo than the gun.
    Yes Sir..... I have more money in 9mm ammo than I do in all my 9mm handguns combined......and I have several......
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

I guess it depends on whether the extra money actually gets you anything. If a person just wants a gun to defend himself, he can do just fine for $500, and any more spent is arguably a waste. For an enthusiast who wants something in particular, it's a completely different story.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I agree with you entirely and have said the same thing for years. Most recently to my wife whilst trying to justify investing in a WC 1911. How she can fail to see the logic in this is beyond me
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

My Dad used to tell me it's only a car to get you from one place to another. Or, who was it, Solomon? “Vanity of vanities! All is vanity.”

A used model 10 for a couple hundred or something in the thousands. Either one can be used efficiently.

Some have to pinch pennies and some don't. $100 or $200 difference may well be a consideration for many.

If both have reliable histories, one may very well choose the less expensive. Sometimes it may even be preferred by the individual.

We all have opinions. Then also, there may be times that we wished we'd sprang for the higher dollar model after we become more familiar with the one that cost less. Maybe not.
    Rockymonster, Rabbit212 and BamaT like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

$200 is a holster and 1/2 a case of ammo. For many, that could be their annualized cost of operations. For others, that’s a Saturday morning.

For me, firearms are like motorcycles. It probably doesn’t make sense to worry too much about which one is perfect because in the end we want to ride them all.

The other side of that argument is how much you can pay to get a gun that may only be slightly more functional than another one. So you can get 1911's new for anywhere from $450 up to $3600 and I will bet you can even pay more. I'm sure the higher priced ones function somewhat better, but eight times better?
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member
    What matters above all else is reliability. $2000 unreliable weapon is far worse than a reliable $250 weapon. My carry weapons cost my <$400 each and are utterly reliable. After that it’s how you can shoot them. Money isn’t the main factor.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Take the 9mm Shield S&W, they say you can get one for 249.00 with a 50 rebate, the 2 I have never fail me once, and I think I shoot them well,a lot of practice. So get what you want and practice.
    USN,NRA,

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    We're suppose to keep track of ammo cost? Who knows? Definitely not me.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

All depends on peoples budget. It’s easy for one person to say it’s worth it to spend the money on something but someone else might say that money is better spent some other way. You may say that it’s a difference of a couple boxes of ammo but they may say they would spend the same on ammo either way.
    BamaT, G26Raven and CWOUSCG like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    All depends on peoples budget. It’s easy for one person to say it’s worth it to spend the money on something but someone else might say that money is better spent some other way. You may say that it’s a difference of a couple boxes of ammo but they may say they would spend the same on ammo either way.
    Of course, but when someone says I wouldn't spend $50 more for brand b simply because of the $50 bill, I say that’s just silly.... I’m not talking about the difference of hundreds or thousands for a 1911 or a high end AR.... Obviously, to some folks, $50 is a lot, but when put in perspective of the cost of ammo or holsters for example, for most folks, it really isn’t a big deal.....but they make a big deal of it....
    Havok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Of course, but when someone says I wouldn't spend $50 more for brand b simply because of the $50 bill, I say that’s just silly.... I’m not talking about the difference of hundreds or thousands for a 1911 or a high end AR.... Obviously, to some folks, $50 is a lot, but when put in perspective of the cost of ammo or holsters for example, for most folks, it really isn’t a big deal.....but they make a big deal of it....
    All depends what it’s worth to that person. When I go to the grocery store I’ll buy store brand bread to save 25 cents because to me it’s just as good. Another thing, especially with younger people, is that they might be too impatient to actually save up the additional money for the other gun.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Consider the mother of 3 with a violent stalker of a soon to be exhusband working as a waitress to feed and clothe those kids. For her having a $150 Hi Point + a 50 round box of ammo will be enough to protect them all and a $100 or $200 will pay the utilities, or rent, or buy winter jackets at the Good Will store.

Yes, there really are folks out there who's budgets are that tight. Or even tighter.

I am not a rich man by any means but I am grateful the years of living from penny to penny are behind me. But I have not forgotten those years and while I can spend the extra $100 or $200 I still own a $150 Hi Point. And sometimes I find out someone is in a tight spot and they get that extra $100 to $200.
    Havok, TSKnight, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links