Danger Close

Danger Close

This is a discussion on Danger Close within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Caught the movie today. Danger Close (2019) about the battle of Long Tan in Vietnam (August, 1966). I've never heard much about the Kiwis/Aussies fighting ...

Like Tree24Likes
  • 7 Post By scottync
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 5 Post By MMinSC
  • 4 Post By Grizzly2
  • 4 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Danger Close

Danger Close

Caught the movie today. Danger Close (2019) about the battle of Long Tan in Vietnam (August, 1966). I've never heard much about the Kiwis/Aussies fighting in Southeast Asia, so I can't speak for it's accuracy but it's a feel good flick about courage under fire.

That looks like it may be a good one; I remember reading about Aussies over there but did not know about the Kiwis.
    scottync and RETSUPT99 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

What the heck. I can go a year or two with no new movies that interest me and suddenly there's Midway, Ford v Ferrari, Richard Jewel and now this?
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the heads up. Never anything I want to watch.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

If I read this right, it was the Australians on the ground and the Kiwi's were one of the supporting artillery batteries.

It took place in a rubber plantation. I remember the first time I saw a Michelin Rubber Plantation over there. I thought, ah, that's why all this started. When I came home I put Pirelli radial tires on my MGB. Of coarse it probably made no difference, but it did to me at the time. I don't think I bought a Michelin until the late 80's.

It always struck me as odd that we who fought off the English who wanted to keep us as a colony would help the French re-take one of their old colonies. But of course they were Communists, even though old Uncle Ho and the people of Viet Nam helped all our fliers who went down fighting the Japanese. They even asked us for help first. But what did I know. Secty McNamara had it all figured out???
    GpTom, Texas Red, TimGunn and 1 others like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

If I read this right, it was the Australians on the ground and the Kiwi's were one of the supporting artillery batteries.

It took place in a rubber plantation. I remember the first time I saw a Michelin Rubber Plantation over there. I thought, ah, that's why all this started. When I came home I put Pirelli radial tires on my MGB. Of coarse it probably made no difference, but it did to me at the time. I don't think I bought a Michelin until the late 80's.

It always struck me as odd that we who fought off the English who wanted to keep us as a colony would help the French re-take one of their old colonies. But of course they were Communists, even though old Uncle Ho and the people of Viet Nam helped all our fliers who went down fighting the Japanese. They even asked us for help first. But what did I know. Secty McNamara had it all figured out???
    People seem to forget that we were asked first by "Uncle Ho". As for the Aussies, I saw them, but I did not see Kiwis. I also saw Koreans.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    People seem to forget that we were asked first by "Uncle Ho". As for the Aussies, I saw them, but I did not see Kiwis. I also saw Koreans.
    The first episode of the Ken Burns' documentary "The Vietnam War" explains that whole thing with Ho. It is a real eye-opener about how we could have easily avoided that war and how we started down the right path, but then changed directions and went down the road to perdition.

We could have avoided the whole dispute with Iran even more easily. If we had, the Iran/Iraq war might not have happened, and if it had not happened, both Iraq wars might not have been necessary.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    People seem to forget that we were asked first by "Uncle Ho".
    Middle East politics should serve as a constant reminder that the enemy of your enemy is not your friend.
    msgt/ret and OldVet like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links