How to vent your anger

How to vent your anger

This is a discussion on How to vent your anger within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For me, I have never viewed shooting my firearms as a way to vent my anger (getting angry isn't something that happens to me often). ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: How to vent your anger

How to vent your anger

For me, I have never viewed shooting my firearms as a way to vent my anger (getting angry isn't something that happens to me often). Sure, I occasionally get upset with my computer, but I can't think of any time I have broken something out of anger (I've broken enough stuff accidentally).

At any rate, I ran across this today and can't imagine paying money to go do this???

New smash room in St. George is becoming all the rage

When counting to 10 just doesnít work to relieve anger, it might be time to try a rage room.

One of St. Georgeís newest businesses, Smash Labs Rage Rooms provides locals with the opportunity to shatter their way through anger or just have fun destroying something. Participants can throw a glass vase against the wall of one of three rage rooms, take a crowbar to an old computer or bring in a framed photo of an ex.

Business owner Branin Boyack said the idea for his version of a rage room was born out of personal stress and the enjoyment of smashing things.

Ful story here:
    https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.XekLui2ZNfg
    OldChap likes this.
    So many weapons, so little time.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

These things seem to be gaining popularity. Personally, I think they are dumb.If I were an employer interviewing a potential new employee, I dont think Id want to hire someone who thinks breaking everything in the room is a good way to relieve stress.
    G26Raven, airslot, MMinSC and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I have done quite a bit of learning about rage, from professional counselors, reading and self-improvement. Let's not get into why I did all that, but suffice it say there is a lot to know about the topic that is not obvious. Venting rage, such as you might do in this smash room is like taking a drink to relieve a hangover. It feels good and works in the moment, but it is counterproductive as a solution in the long run. It teaches your system that the solution to rage is to vent the rage rather than control it, making the problem worse. Eventually it catches up with you.

I think busting things up might be a lot of fun and I would like to try it, but just for fun, not as an anger solution. Anger is some wicked stuff. It should be dealt with through proven solutions, that are more difficult to implement, but actually work.

An interesting fact about anger from the book, "Why We Snap" by neuro-scientist Douglas Fields. Destructive anger (like a mass shooter) and heroic anger (like a soldier charging a machine gun nest) follow the same neural pathways in the brain and the triggers for the resulting behaviors also follow similar patterns. The difference is the choices we make with that energy based on our moral foundation.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Jmf552, I like your analysis.
    graydude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    When I was young and dumb in college we had a room in the basement of our frat house where we used to go down as smash beer bottles against a bulls eye on the brick wall.
    Now that I am old and dumb, I still like the sound of breaking glass.
    I stay away from my firearms when I am angry,
    Although target practice is a great stress reliever.
    G26Raven, MMinSC and OldChap like this.

I took my malfunctioning VCR out to the driveway and smashed it to bits with a sledge hammer. No neighbors have come to the door since.
    G26Raven, OldChap, sdprof and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a heavy bag hanging in the garage that I use to relieve stress. It's a lot cheaper than breaking things.

Been using one since I was 13 years old, and I attribute it to me being a very patient person.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.

for me, the best thing to relieve anger is to hit the gym and pick up heavy things.
    OldChap, mmb617 and BigJon10125 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I took my malfunctioning VCR out to the driveway and smashed it to bits with a sledge hammer. No neighbors have come to the door since.
    What do you expect if you don't send them a Christmas card????
    OldChap likes this.

More liberal BS about their emotions.
    MMinSC, G26Raven, OldChap and 1 others like this.

No exactly related, but axe throwing is becoming the latest in thing in town. Oh, they serve beers in these places.
    MMinSC, G26Raven and OldChap like this.

Sorry, no.
    My dad had a temper that he occasionally took out on inanimate objects.
    Taught me to keep mine in check unless itís really needed. Then it is focused.
    G26Raven likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    No exactly related, but axe throwing is becoming the latest in thing in town. Oh, they serve beers in these places.
    Yep. Three blocks from my house. Not really for anger/temper tantrum purposes though, more for sport. I like to walk down for a pint and some friendly competition. It is fun. I know several guys in my neighborhood that do it in their back yards, so the competition at the bar is pretty good.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by tahmail View Post
    More liberal BS about their emotions.
    Yeah, I think it is for Millennials to have temper tantrums in a controlled environment. Not for me though. Breaking stuff takes a lot of energy. I have renovated enough houses to know how tiring it is.
    msgt/ret, G26Raven and jkshelgore like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    When I was young and dumb in college we had a room in the basement of our frat house where we used to go down as smash beer bottles against a bulls eye on the brick wall.
    Now that I am old and dumb, I still like the sound of breaking glass.
    I stay away from my firearms when I am angry,
    Although target practice is a great stress reliever.
    That's having fun, not a temper tantrum. When I was a kid, one of our favorite finds were discarded light bulb tubes. Awesome to have sword fights.
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links