Is that "C" note real

Is that "C" note real

This is a discussion on Is that "C" note real within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I knew about fake “movie money” but this is the first time I have seen someone cheated with it. After a quick Google search there ...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 7 Post By msgt/ret
  • 5 Post By airslot
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By OneGunTX
  • 2 Post By Nifty
  • 2 Post By DaGunny
  • 4 Post By DownInTheDark

Thread: Is that "C" note real

Is that "C" note real

I knew about fake “movie money” but this is the first time I have seen someone cheated with it. After a quick Google search there are several outlets selling it and quite cheaply.

Police issue warning after scammer uses fake 'movie money' to steal iPhone

At a time when high-tech scams are running rampant, police in Houston are warning residents to be aware of a low-tech swindle after a college student was cheated out of her iPhone by a scammer using a stack of phony cash known as "movie money."

Tamara Malone was looking to sell her iPhone XS Max, so she listed it for sale on the Letgo app, the college student told Houston ABC station KTRK.

A woman in her 20s responded to the listing and Malone agreed to meet her at a Starbucks, Malone said.

Malone handed over the phone and the woman handed Malone a bank envelope with $700 in cash, then quickly disappeared. But when Malone examined the bills, she discovered the cash was actually "movie money" -- fake bills used as props by filmmakers.
    https://abc11.com/police-issue-warni...phone/5735389/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

It's that time of year when you see an increase in these events. Stay vigilant.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    That is why an awful lot of stores have magic marker type pens to rub over $20 and higher bills. They show up fakes. I don't know how, but when I helped out in the local Habitat ReStore we used one. Didn't find any fakes when I was working there, but I was assured that the pen works.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    That is why an awful lot of stores have magic marker type pens to rub over $20 and higher bills. They show up fakes. I don't know how, but when I helped out in the local Habitat ReStore we used one. Didn't find any fakes when I was working there, but I was assured that the pen works.
    Unfortunately those pens can be defeated, I forget the counterfeiters name but he discovered that if you spray the bills with fabric sizing the ink will not change, this guy was so good he was able to pass millions before the Secret Service was able to catch him. Another way to determine the validity of a bill is with an ultraviolet light, shine it on a bill and the security strip will fluoresce unfortunately the previous counterfeiter mentioned found a way to include the strip in his bills.

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Man, that’s crazy. I have heard of people using high tech printers to counterfeit bills, but this stuff looks real. I’m gonna be extra careful now in handling cash. As if I had much to start with.

I’m scared to use my debit card because of skimmers now I’m scared of using cash cause of this movie money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sarcasm]
    That is why I make purchases with the techniques perfected by the Democrats. I use other people's money! Fair Share means that it is only fair for other people to share their money with me so that I can live in the lifestyle I feel I am owed by society. As a bald white male, I have been discriminated against the Affirmative-Action people for decades. It is time for reparations!
    [\sarcasm]
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

I used to work in a bar night club. Back in the late 1980s, someone came through passing phony fives. The bartenders recalled how they thought the bills were passed. A guy went to pay, and counted out several 5 dollar bills in front of them, then stacked them up and handed them (btenders) the whole stack - with the phony's in the middle. The bartenders just put the stack in the drawer. 5's are rarely passed back as change, so no one noticed until closing. I think they found something like a half dozen.

The perp was never caught, but the bills were shockingly funny. Instead of Lincoln's face, there was a pic of a chick's face with a certain something in her mouth. The bartenders wanted to keep one of the bills but the police wouldn't let them.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.

There's any easy way to test if any U.S. bill is real. The ink on U.S. currency never truly dries. Fold the bill into a triangle & rub it on a piece of paper. If it leaves a mark, it's real. A Secret Service agent taught me that many moons ago.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    There was a Beavis and Butthead episode where they were trying to get rich by photo copying coins. If i remember correctly they were paying a dime to copy a nickel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Unfortunately those pens can be defeated, I forget the counterfeiters name but he discovered that if you spray the bills with fabric sizing the ink will not change, this guy was so good he was able to pass millions before the Secret Service was able to catch him. Another way to determine the validity of a bill is with an ultraviolet light, shine it on a bill and the security strip will fluoresce unfortunately the previous counterfeiter mentioned found a way to include the strip in his bills.
    I sort of wondered about that. Not all criminals are stupid.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Had to dig through the Coin Club videos but I found his name, Albert Talton. Here is an interesting article on him.

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n36a22.html

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    The ink on real bills is also raised. You can feel the texture if you rub your finger across a bill. Especially larger denominations as they aren't crinkled nearly as much as 1's and 5's. Can this be duplicated? Sure, but It's doubtful someone would be buying a used cell phone with super bills.

Sponsored Links