Y2K Remembered - Page 2

Y2K Remembered

This is a discussion on Y2K Remembered within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't remember squat......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Y2K Remembered

I don't remember squat...
    hogdaddy, CLASS3NH and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Got old hearing " tonight we are going to party like it's 1999" ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Y2K Remembered

During the 1999-2000 school year, I had a number of students ask, "Hey Mr Red, what's gonna happen with this Y2K business?" Some of them were very concerned, with all the media hype surrounding it.

My answer:

"One of two things: nothing, or almost nothing."

I can point to that as one of my few accurate predictions.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Senior Moderator
    I remember the run-up to Y2K when clients couldn't print money fast enough to pay their Y2K consultants. That put all of the other consulting projects "on hold" temporarily.

It also gave the YDK consultants horrendous hangovers when all of those easy dollars evaporated and business sense reared its' ugly head. They were a wee bit less smug. And suddenly they were asking others for project and sales support.

They got to eat a significant amount of crow I believe. Deservedly.
    CLASS3NH and M1911A1 like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    I was the Y2K coordinator for the bank I worked for, and we spent over 3 years in preparation. On 1/1/00, we had teams in all areas of the bank and at each branch, with a list of tests to perform. I had a large spreadsheet set up, and as each team completed their tests, they reported in to me. Everything was fine; however, contrary to what Iíve heard some people say, Y2K had the potential to cause enormous problems if proper preparations and remediations werenít in place.

Almost the exact same position at the bank I worked at.
    Rock and Glock and BamaT like this.
    Monte

"I'll huff and I'll puff ...woah! Nice shotgun. Umm. Look at the time! Should have been home hours ago! Wife will be frantic. Nice meeting you. Bye, bye now!"

I went to bed laughing.
    My sole concession to the potential meltdown of everyone and everything, was a wick-trimmed, reservoir-filled kerosene lamp on the kitchen table.
    With a Post It note.
    On which was written ...
    "Y2K Compliant."
    montejames, M1911A1 and graydude like this.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I was a consultant with a big computer consulting firm at the time, so we were pretty active. I was on the business end for the clients, not the technical end. While I agree the specific concern was overblown, I did see a lot of silver linings to it. I think it got a lot of organizations to upgrade their technology and processes, upgrades that were long overdue. Our clients didn't just say, "Let's fix this old car." They said, "It's time for a new car." A lot of them replaced their old systems with ERP systems. I think the attention the Y2K "hoax" brought to industry and government stopped a lot of real problems that would have occurred later on and increased productivity.

It was good and bad for the consulting industry. We had a boom leading up to Y2K, but it caused a hiring bubble and by 2001, the bubble burst. I just missed getting laid off and a lot of my colleagues where not so lucky.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I was Facilities director for a school district in Texas. Our biggest issue was the next day when the mail came. The rubber stamp for dates ran out in 1999.
    Texas Red, montejames and M1911A1 like this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Then as now the media liked to make a big deal out of nothing. I'm sure it was a big deal for some in the IT field but for most of us it was a real yawner.

I was on the billing system replacement team for a corporation. We replaced the system and then got bought out by another company in 1999. My wife also worked for the company. We both got huge severance packages and early signing bonuses. I also got an early retirement package including medical for me and my wife. My wife retired at forty. I was recruited by another company and we moved across the country. I was on the billing system replacement team and automation team. After everything was up and running, the company had a downsizing and I got a huge severance package to go away. Y2K was berry berry good to me.
    Sister, msgt/ret, OldVet and 3 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I was drunk and enjoying hot time with a future ex wife:)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I had a little fun with it. I was at a party at a friend's house and Y2K was discussed quite a bit. (We also listened to one Prince song A LOT.) When the countdown started I slipped out to the garage and electric panel. Once people had celebrated the new year for a few seconds, I threw the main switch and the house went dark. It was real quiet when I walked back in. It didn't take long for people to notice that all of the other houses were still lit up. We all had a good laugh. My friend complained that she had to reset all of her digital clocks and VCR due to Y2K.
    msgt/ret and M1911A1 like this.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

Nothing, if I can remember what I had for dinner the night before then itís a good day! Amazing how so many can remember what they were doing that long ago.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Nothing, if I can remember what I had for dinner the night before then itís a good day! Amazing how so many can remember what they were doing that long ago.

It is old age. I can remember things in 1950 vividly. I can't remember what I had for breakfast or why I came into this room.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I was working the night shift as a Patrol Sergeant. It was pretty much like working any other New Years Eve in the "hood" accompanied by the usual recreational shootings, stabbings, DV, etc where hundreds of people were present, but no one saw a thing
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links